Viewer Comments: Bee And Wasp Sting - Self-Care

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bee and Wasp Stings:

Bee And Wasp Sting - Self-Care

What self-care did you use on your bee and/or wasp sting?

I got stung by a bee I immediately crush a garlic clove and rubbed it all over and kill the pain and I had no swelling.

Comment from: Dike tembald, 7-12 Male (Patient) Published: November 26

When I was 10 years old, I found a nest of paper wasps and I ran away. But then a wasp landed on my left arm and stung me once or twice. I screamed in pain but then I noticed that I wasn't feeling better for the past hour. I was at camp that time and I was at the woods. I first tried to take it out but it was deep in my skin. I panicked and screamed really loud. I sat for a second and as I was saying, I wasn't feeling good for the past hour. Then I fell to the ground. I crawled back to the camp site, my parents saw the swelling and that I was extremely dizzy. They took the stingers out but then right there I threw up and passed out. Later I found myself at the local emergency hospital.

Comment from: Kathy Alberts, 45-54 Female Published: October 30

Last spring, I was planting flowers and I thought I was bitten by a spider. After seeing some of these pictures and reading posts, I believe it was a wasp sting. 1/2 an inch from my left eye I was stung. It itched for about an hour or so constantly. Then the swelling above and below my eye began after an hour or so. I was stung around 2:30 pm. By 10pm the entire side of my right face was swelling. By 9am when I woke up, my eye was so swollen it shut. After about 24 hours it started getting better. Yesterday, working in the yard, SAME THING! This time my left eye? I took pictures every few hours of it. It was offensive to look at my face. Benadryl and ice helped.

Comment from: bam312bam, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I was at the pool area and a nest of wasps had been built under the door gate. The wasps can after me and stung me in the arm by my elbow. My neighbor told me to made a paste of meat tenderizer and pat it on and let dry. It immediately took the sting and burning away. Today it is still swollen and red hot, so am using cortisone cream and ice.

Comment from: first time, 45-54 Female Published: June 25

I am 51 years of age and today was my first wasp sting. It was on my right hand. It was very instant the pain and swelling. I didn't know what to do to stop the pain, so I ran my hand under cold water. It relieves some of the intense heat I feel but the stinger is there yet. I can see the stinger in my hand and I am unable to get it out. The wasps are hiding in the water hose roll-up box.

Comment from: jane, 45-54 Female Published: June 18

I was in the garden and a wasp must have flown up my trouser leg without me knowing. I sure knew it was there when it stung me! Hurt all over my thigh, not just on sting area. I quickly grabbed my tube of Aloe Vera Jelly and smothered the area with it, pain was gone in minutes. This also works for other stings and minor burns.

Comment from: Samanthika, 35-44 Female Published: January 13

I had stepped on a bee and was stung. I didn't realize until it started hurting. Immediately I picked the stinger out and rubbed pure turmeric powder on it. The pain has subsided in a minute. Turmeric is a well-known and trusted antiseptic for ages in India.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 24

I was stung seven times by wasps when I disturbed their ground nest. I immediately ran into my shop, closed the door, and brushed a couple out of my hair and off my clothes. Then into the house and my wife mixed up a baking soda and water paste and applied to each of the stings to pull the venom out. When the paste dried up and flaked off she put it on again. When that dried the stinging was gone and the swelling was controlled by cold packs and the itching by hydrocortisone cream. After three days the itching and swelling are almost gone.

Comment from: MrsAU, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

Our daughter was stung yesterday afternoon by a wasp through her jeans. We applied vinegar which neutralized the swelling but today, she still has sharp pain in her entire lower leg.

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: October 12

I was at work, working the drive-thru window when I got stung, not once, not twice but three times by a hornet. I immediately went to flush away as much of the venom under running water but the damage was already done. My hand was discoloring and swelling. I tried to nurse it myself for the first day but ended up going to my local drug store and talk to the pharmacist who suggested Benadryl. The next day the redness was still spreading and the swelling was continuing to enlarge. I got in with my doctor that day and was put on antibiotics. Straight from that day up until Friday I was so sick. I worked my full shift Friday but couldn't complete my Saturday shift. I went to emergency only to be given yet another antibiotic and given treatment for my respiratory as my oxygen level was low and I was wheezing. I was finally diagnosed with infection to one side of my lung.

Must Read Articles Related to Bee and Wasp Stings

Allergic Reaction
Allergic Reaction An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bee and Wasp Stings:

Bee and Wasp Sting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Bee and Wasp Sting.

Bee and Wasp Sting - Treatments

What treatment or treatments did you use for you bee and/or wasp sting?