Viewer Comments: Bee And Wasp Sting - Self-Care

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bee and Wasp Stings:

Bee And Wasp Sting - Self-Care

What self-care did you use on your bee and/or wasp sting?

Comment from: Samanthika, 35-44 Female Published: January 13

I had stepped on a bee and was stung. I didn't realize until it started hurting. Immediately I picked the stinger out and rubbed pure turmeric powder on it. The pain has subsided in a minute. Turmeric is a well-known and trusted antiseptic for ages in India.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 24

I was stung seven times by wasps when I disturbed their ground nest. I immediately ran into my shop, closed the door, and brushed a couple out of my hair and off my clothes. Then into the house and my wife mixed up a baking soda and water paste and applied to each of the stings to pull the venom out. When the paste dried up and flaked off she put it on again. When that dried the stinging was gone and the swelling was controlled by cold packs and the itching by hydrocortisone cream. After three days the itching and swelling are almost gone.

Comment from: MrsAU, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

Our daughter was stung yesterday afternoon by a wasp through her jeans. We applied vinegar which neutralized the swelling but today, she still has sharp pain in her entire lower leg.

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: October 12

I was at work, working the drive-thru window when I got stung, not once, not twice but three times by a hornet. I immediately went to flush away as much of the venom under running water but the damage was already done. My hand was discoloring and swelling. I tried to nurse it myself for the first day but ended up going to my local drug store and talk to the pharmacist who suggested Benadryl. The next day the redness was still spreading and the swelling was continuing to enlarge. I got in with my doctor that day and was put on antibiotics. Straight from that day up until Friday I was so sick. I worked my full shift Friday but couldn't complete my Saturday shift. I went to emergency only to be given yet another antibiotic and given treatment for my respiratory as my oxygen level was low and I was wheezing. I was finally diagnosed with infection to one side of my lung.

Comment from: Babs, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I got stung on my arm by a bee yesterday, used ice to hold down the swelling. I started taking ibuprofen, but now I have a large red ring and it itches badly today.

Comment from: jenny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I used alcohol on a cotton ball an applied it with pressure to the sting, and the swelling reduced immediately.

Comment from: winelover, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I was stung yesterday on the inside of my lip, by a wasp, who was obviously sharing my glass of wine! Used tissues heavily soaked in vinegar on inside and outside of mouth. Two hours later looked like a very bad Botox job, but the pain was bearable.

Comment from: patti, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I just got stung on my tongue by a wasp that was on the open cheese sandwich I was eating. I grabbed the vinegar bottle and poured some on my tongue and then again a few minutes later. It has swelled up a lot but the pain wasn't too bad.

Comment from: 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 09

My daughter got stung two times in one place on her belly and we put ice on it and then in the morning it has a blister on it.

Comment from: Louie09, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

Ice, Benedryl and hydrocotisone cream helps to relieve the pain.

Comment from: dragonlady, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 19

Hydrogen peroxide followed by ice relieves pain.

Must Read Articles Related to Bee and Wasp Stings

Allergic Reaction
Allergic Reaction An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an allergic reaction include hives, rashes, swelling, itching, wheezing, ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bee and Wasp Stings:

Bee and Wasp Sting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Bee and Wasp Sting.

Bee and Wasp Sting - Treatments

What treatment or treatments did you use for you bee and/or wasp sting?