Viewer Comments: Bee And Wasp Sting - Self-Care

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bee and Wasp Stings:

Bee And Wasp Sting - Self-Care

What self-care did you use on your bee and/or wasp sting?

Comment from: MrsAU, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

Our daughter was stung yesterday afternoon by a wasp through her jeans. We applied vinegar which neutralized the swelling but today, she still has sharp pain in her entire lower leg.

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: October 12

I was at work, working the drive-thru window when I got stung, not once, not twice but three times by a hornet. I immediately went to flush away as much of the venom under running water but the damage was already done. My hand was discoloring and swelling. I tried to nurse it myself for the first day but ended up going to my local drug store and talk to the pharmacist who suggested Benadryl. The next day the redness was still spreading and the swelling was continuing to enlarge. I got in with my doctor that day and was put on antibiotics. Straight from that day up until Friday I was so sick. I worked my full shift Friday but couldn't complete my Saturday shift. I went to emergency only to be given yet another antibiotic and given treatment for my respiratory as my oxygen level was low and I was wheezing. I was finally diagnosed with infection to one side of my lung.

Comment from: Babs, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I got stung on my arm by a bee yesterday, used ice to hold down the swelling. I started taking ibuprofen, but now I have a large red ring and it itches badly today.

Comment from: jenny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I used alcohol on a cotton ball an applied it with pressure to the sting, and the swelling reduced immediately.

Comment from: winelover, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I was stung yesterday on the inside of my lip, by a wasp, who was obviously sharing my glass of wine! Used tissues heavily soaked in vinegar on inside and outside of mouth. Two hours later looked like a very bad Botox job, but the pain was bearable.

Comment from: patti, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I just got stung on my tongue by a wasp that was on the open cheese sandwich I was eating. I grabbed the vinegar bottle and poured some on my tongue and then again a few minutes later. It has swelled up a lot but the pain wasn't too bad.

Comment from: 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 09

My daughter got stung two times in one place on her belly and we put ice on it and then in the morning it has a blister on it.

Comment from: Louie09, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

Ice, Benedryl and hydrocotisone cream helps to relieve the pain.

Comment from: dragonlady, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 19

Hydrogen peroxide followed by ice relieves pain.

Comment from: nana, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I immediately diluted household ammonia and swabbed the stings (6 of them over the body). I then kept ice applied 10 min. on, 10 min off through the night, also using the ammonia. I took Benadryl and a pain pill. The pain stayed through the night and into the next day. I continued to take the Benadryl and ice applications for a couple more days. The ice seemed to keep the pain down to tolerable. after a couple of days, I was told to put on hydrocortizone ointment. The rash and sting center is still itchy and looking like hives after one week since the stings. The welts are 3-4".

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

Ice on the local site, Benadryl and Advil for the pain for 6 paper wasp stings within a five minute period. Swelling and pain persisted for approx 5 hours, with each site showing a diameter of 2-4 inches of redness.

Must Read Articles Related to Bee and Wasp Stings

Allergic Reaction
Allergic Reaction An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an allergic reaction include hives, rashes, swelling, itching, wheezing, ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bee and Wasp Stings:

Bee and Wasp Sting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Bee and Wasp Sting.

Bee and Wasp Sting - Treatments

What treatment or treatments did you use for you bee and/or wasp sting?