Viewer Comments: Bee And Wasp Sting - Self-Care

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bee and Wasp Stings:

Bee And Wasp Sting - Self-Care

What self-care did you use on your bee and/or wasp sting?

Comment from: emismom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I was stung by a paper wasp. I happened to have a can of Burt's Bees brand natural insect repellant. The stinging pain was very intense. I thought it couldn't make it worse. I got the repellent on the sting within a minute of getting stung and was astonished that the pain was gone in less than 30 seconds. I had minor swelling and barely noticeable itching. 10 hours later, the skin around the area only feels slightly tight. I was stung 20+ times when I stepped on a nest as a child. I think they were hornets. My ankles swelled up so big I couldn't put socks on. My friend's mother put wet tobacco from a cigarette on them. Didn't do a thing to help.

Comment from: Shall1, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 09

I got stung in the ankle by a red wasp. It was the most painful thing I have ever felt! I couldn't immediately do anything because I was working, but every time I stepped, shooting pain shot up my leg. By day two, my entire foot and a third of my lower let swelled. I went to the doctor and she said it was a local reaction. She gave me an antibiotic because it looked infected and told me to ice it, take Benadryl, and elevate. It took two weeks to get better. And my ankle still feels bruised months later.

I am 60 years old and have been stung many times by wasps and the like. I was stung on my ankle a few hours ago and have been miserable. I thank everyone who has contributed to this site, so that I did not panic. I live in remote place and medical care is not easily available. My first response was to use baking soda paste. Then I took two Benadryl and applied an ice bag. The first night I also took Tylenol with codeine for the pain. I still couldn't sleep. The only way to get rid of the pain was when the area was numb by the ice pack. I continued taking Benadryl, applying ice packs and using alternately cortisone cream, Caladryl and witch hazel. I don't know how much any of this has helped. I just know that I am in pain because my ankle is swollen so greatly and also suffering from itching. Tomorrow I am starting a 30-hour journey to Asia. I hope this gets better, or I will have a very miserable trip.

I got stung by a bee I immediately crush a garlic clove and rubbed it all over and kill the pain and I had no swelling.

Comment from: Dike tembald, 7-12 Male (Patient) Published: November 26

When I was 10 years old, I found a nest of paper wasps and I ran away. But then a wasp landed on my left arm and stung me once or twice. I screamed in pain but then I noticed that I wasn't feeling better for the past hour. I was at camp that time and I was at the woods. I first tried to take it out but it was deep in my skin. I panicked and screamed really loud. I sat for a second and as I was saying, I wasn't feeling good for the past hour. Then I fell to the ground. I crawled back to the camp site, my parents saw the swelling and that I was extremely dizzy. They took the stingers out but then right there I threw up and passed out. Later I found myself at the local emergency hospital.

Comment from: Kathy Alberts, 45-54 Female Published: October 30

Last spring, I was planting flowers and I thought I was bitten by a spider. After seeing some of these pictures and reading posts, I believe it was a wasp sting. 1/2 an inch from my left eye I was stung. It itched for about an hour or so constantly. Then the swelling above and below my eye began after an hour or so. I was stung around 2:30 pm. By 10pm the entire side of my right face was swelling. By 9am when I woke up, my eye was so swollen it shut. After about 24 hours it started getting better. Yesterday, working in the yard, SAME THING! This time my left eye? I took pictures every few hours of it. It was offensive to look at my face. Benadryl and ice helped.

Comment from: bam312bam, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I was at the pool area and a nest of wasps had been built under the door gate. The wasps can after me and stung me in the arm by my elbow. My neighbor told me to made a paste of meat tenderizer and pat it on and let dry. It immediately took the sting and burning away. Today it is still swollen and red hot, so am using cortisone cream and ice.

Comment from: first time, 45-54 Female Published: June 25

I am 51 years of age and today was my first wasp sting. It was on my right hand. It was very instant the pain and swelling. I didn't know what to do to stop the pain, so I ran my hand under cold water. It relieves some of the intense heat I feel but the stinger is there yet. I can see the stinger in my hand and I am unable to get it out. The wasps are hiding in the water hose roll-up box.

Comment from: jane, 45-54 Female Published: June 18

I was in the garden and a wasp must have flown up my trouser leg without me knowing. I sure knew it was there when it stung me! Hurt all over my thigh, not just on sting area. I quickly grabbed my tube of Aloe Vera Jelly and smothered the area with it, pain was gone in minutes. This also works for other stings and minor burns.

Must Read Articles Related to Bee and Wasp Stings

Allergic Reaction
Allergic Reaction An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an allergic reaction include hives, rashes, swelling, itching, wheezing, ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bee and Wasp Stings:

Bee and Wasp Sting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Bee and Wasp Sting.

Bee and Wasp Sting - Treatments

What treatment or treatments did you use for you bee and/or wasp sting?