Viewer Comments: Benign Positional Vertigo - Diagnosis and Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo:

Benign Positional Vertigo - Diagnosis and Treatment

How was your benign positional vertigo diagnosed and treated?

...
Comment from: Janette, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

I started having dizziness after having a cold and was told it was an ear infection; no medication was required as it would go away by itself, which it did. 3 months later the dizziness came back with a vengeance. I went to seek medical advice, this time I was told I have BPV and was given medication, it eventually went away, a week after stopping medication I was hit with the dizziness again, so bad that I was having the cold sweats and nausea, I went for a CT scan and I am going back for the results today. This condition is so debilitating and I drive 5 days a week as I am a rep on the road so I need to get this under control. I will submit my results of the scan later.

Comment from: jtbob, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 11

I learned a procedure from a friend. 1) Sit on a bed with a pillow behind you so that it will be under you shoulders when you lie back. 2)Turn your head away from the edge of the bed, 45 degrees, then lie back on the pillow with your head still turned. Stay for 30 seconds. 3) Turn your head 90 degrees to the opposite side. Hold for 30 seconds. 4) Turn you head further 90 degrees more (so you will be looking down). Stay for 30 seconds. 5) Swing your legs off the bed and sit up gently. For more, repeat the process, reversing the direction on the bed. I was told this will move some crystals in the ear to a location that will remove the problem. It works wonderfully well for me, often removing the symptoms the first one or two treatments. They told to do it three times a day for a few days, if needed. Then periodically as needed.

Comment from: Gloria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I have had episodes of BPPV for the past eight months. I have seen a neurologist and an eye, ear, nose and throat specialist. I was given Valium and told to do the Epley maneuver exercises. I seem to have it often and without warning. I wish there was something that would work permanently.

Comment from: Auntie B., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I woke up one morning feeling my bed spinning. When I tried to get out of the bed it seemed as though the bed turned on it's side and I was about to fall off. I was groping onto the bed linen until I finally slid to the floor. My son found me and thought that I had fallen. The ER Doctor has instructed me to take the Meclizine pills 25 mg three times a say for a few days then maintain as needed. I was hoping at first that it was only a one time thing But, it seems to be a new diagnosis to be added to my already lengthy list.

Comment from: Hradcany, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

My vertigo appeared quite suddenly and was most intense. When I went to the doctor a day later, she performed some maneuvers on my head and gave me the Epley maneuvers to do at home. I have just begun treatment today. From my reading of the information on this and other sites, I assume the vertigo will be eliminated within a week or so. I suspect part of the cause may be that I am on an aspirin-a-day regimen for my heart.

Comment from: JohnM, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

As a result of a bicycle crash where I went head over heels and was thrown to the pavement (no injuries), I had been getting severe dizzy spells when I would look up mostly. This went on for ten years, until I went to a physical therapist who, after examining and interviewing me, laid me down on a bed with my head dangling off one end facing to the left, and had me turn my head and then body to the right, so that my head effectively turned 180 degrees (at least). She did both sides and the problem went away.

Comment from: Weezie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I experienced an overwhelming dizziness after doing 'downward dog' in yoga class. It did subside after a long 30 seconds but the next day I was dizzy. The doctor had me lay down on the table and held my head, turned it to the left 45 degrees which sparked the overwhelming dizziness again. She repeated it on the right but nothing happened. With the BPV diagnosis, she suggested doing the Epley maneuver at home 3 times a day. It has worked! A week later I am much better but continue to do the Epley to avoid any more vertigo.

Comment from: typist90, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I was at work on last year when the first symptoms of vertigo hit me. I was just sitting there, answering the phone, when suddenly the whole world starts spinning. I actually tried to keep answering the phones, figuring it would go away in a few seconds. It didn't. It got worse and worse, and they had to take me away from work in an ambulance. The ER doc thought I was hamming it up for my family (long story there), but I was admitted overnight and they did a bunch of tests. No one even said the word vertigo. The doc said I could go back to work the day after, but I missed a week of work because my boss wouldn't let me come back until I stopped walking into walls and could stand up straight. It took that long to get my doc to send me to a physical therapist who finally told me what was wrong and showed me a maneuver that kind of helped. I'm still off balance all the time, but I can fake it. I've had a couple of episodes since then, one of them just last night while I was sitting in class. They tell you not to drive in case the symptoms come back, but how are you supposed to live like that? I made it home and did the exercise, but I'm home today because I'm exhausted and still too dizzy. I did the exercise again this morning and am going to do it again this afternoon and tonight, and plan on going to work tomorrow, but we'll see. I don't like to take the meds because I'm already on meds for hypertension, allergies and stomach issues--too many pills! It doesn't help that some of the people at my work don't think it's a real medical issue. One of the execs actually told me to sit calmly and say the alphabet backwards and the symptoms would go away. I've learned to just ignore people like that and forums like this help, because I've been able to see that I'm not alone, that people from all walks of life have this problem, and I'm not a crybaby. If there are any developments, I'll be back.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Benign Positional Vertigo

Labyrinthitis
Labyrinthitis Labyrinthitis means an inflammation of the inner ear structure called the labyrinth. Sometimes the term labyrinthitis refers to other causes of inner ear proble...learn more >>
Meniere Disease
Meniere Disease Meniere's disease is a syndrome in which you experience episodes of spinning vertigo (sense of the room spinning), hearing loss, and tinnitus (ringing in the ea...learn more >>
Vertigo
Vertigo Vertigo, a feeling or perception that the environment around you is moving or spinning can be caused by inner ear inflammation, Benign paroxysmal positional ver...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo:

Benign Positional Vertigo - Experience

Please describe your experience with benign positional vertigo.

Benign Paroxysmal Vertigo - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your benign paroxysmal vertigo?

Benign Positional Vertigo - Exercises

What exercises helped with your benign positional vertigo?