Viewer Comments: Benign Positional Vertigo - Diagnosis and Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo:

Benign Positional Vertigo - Diagnosis and Treatment

How was your benign positional vertigo diagnosed and treated?

Comment from: Dezzy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I woke up one morning with severe dizziness and actually fell and hit my head because of it. I went to the ER and after doing 3 blood tests was told I had labrynthitis. I went to follow up with my primary doctor who disagreed and said I had BPV. He did an MRI which was normal. But here it is 4 days after symptoms began and I am still spinning and my doctor tells me that people with BPV should not miss work as it really isn't that debilitating. I am on Meclizine for the dizziness and that makes me tired. I am nervous about driving but guess I have no choice but to go back to work. This is very frustrating.

Comment from: Tommie Roe, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

I was diagnosed with BPV back in 1990. I woke up from a sound sleep feeling like my head was spinning 200mph. I had to hold my head in a certain position to keep from spinning and getting sick. It went away on its own after about two weeks. 5 years later it hit me again, this time much worse, couldn't even walk for days. Ironically I ate shrimp the day before, which is what I had for supper the first time I got BPV five years earlier. So obviously it was time for me to avoid shrimp and blame the dizziness on being allergic to shrimp. Well 10 years after giving up shrimp bang! BPV hits me with a vengeance, totally unable to sit-up or walk for days, I would just spin out of control if I moved my head in the wrong direction. Took weeks for it to go away. I guess maybe I'm not allergic to shrimp! My latest bout with BPV was in September of 2009. Same symptoms, violent spinning, uncontrolled eye movement, had to try to avoid certain head positions. It finally went away almost 5 weeks later. If it happens again I'm going to try to find a doctor that knows how to perform the Epley manuver.

Comment from: Janette, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

I started having dizziness after having a cold and was told it was an ear infection; no medication was required as it would go away by itself, which it did. 3 months later the dizziness came back with a vengeance. I went to seek medical advice, this time I was told I have BPV and was given medication, it eventually went away, a week after stopping medication I was hit with the dizziness again, so bad that I was having the cold sweats and nausea, I went for a CT scan and I am going back for the results today. This condition is so debilitating and I drive 5 days a week as I am a rep on the road so I need to get this under control. I will submit my results of the scan later.

Comment from: Yooper410, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 25

When I was going on three years old I lost my balance and fell off the outside steps to my house and hit my head on the ground. I spent a week in the hospital. Years later, I had a bad ear infection in my left ear. I first started feeling dizzy when I was around nine years old in school, when students were required to put their heads down on their desks for nap time. I fell asleep and when I woke up and raised my head the whole room seemed like it was moving. I have been suffering from dizziness ever since.

Comment from: jtbob, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 11

I learned a procedure from a friend. 1) Sit on a bed with a pillow behind you so that it will be under you shoulders when you lie back. 2)Turn your head away from the edge of the bed, 45 degrees, then lie back on the pillow with your head still turned. Stay for 30 seconds. 3) Turn your head 90 degrees to the opposite side. Hold for 30 seconds. 4) Turn you head further 90 degrees more (so you will be looking down). Stay for 30 seconds. 5) Swing your legs off the bed and sit up gently. For more, repeat the process, reversing the direction on the bed. I was told this will move some crystals in the ear to a location that will remove the problem. It works wonderfully well for me, often removing the symptoms the first one or two treatments. They told to do it three times a day for a few days, if needed. Then periodically as needed.

Comment from: Gloria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I have had episodes of BPPV for the past eight months. I have seen a neurologist and an eye, ear, nose and throat specialist. I was given Valium and told to do the Epley maneuver exercises. I seem to have it often and without warning. I wish there was something that would work permanently.

Comment from: Auntie B., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I woke up one morning feeling my bed spinning. When I tried to get out of the bed it seemed as though the bed turned on it's side and I was about to fall off. I was groping onto the bed linen until I finally slid to the floor. My son found me and thought that I had fallen. The ER Doctor has instructed me to take the Meclizine pills 25 mg three times a say for a few days then maintain as needed. I was hoping at first that it was only a one time thing But, it seems to be a new diagnosis to be added to my already lengthy list.

Comment from: Hradcany, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

My vertigo appeared quite suddenly and was most intense. When I went to the doctor a day later, she performed some maneuvers on my head and gave me the Epley maneuvers to do at home. I have just begun treatment today. From my reading of the information on this and other sites, I assume the vertigo will be eliminated within a week or so. I suspect part of the cause may be that I am on an aspirin-a-day regimen for my heart.

Must Read Articles Related to Benign Positional Vertigo

Labyrinthitis Labyrinthitis means an inflammation of the inner ear structure called the labyrinth. Sometimes the term labyrinthitis refers to other causes of inner ear proble...learn more >>
Meniere Disease
Meniere Disease Meniere's disease is a syndrome in which you experience episodes of spinning vertigo (sense of the room spinning), hearing loss, and tinnitus (ringing in the ea...learn more >>
Vertigo Vertigo, a feeling or perception that the environment around you is moving or spinning can be caused by inner ear inflammation, Benign paroxysmal positional ver...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo:

Benign Positional Vertigo - Exercises

What exercises helped with your benign positional vertigo?

Benign Positional Vertigo - Experience

Please describe your experience with benign positional vertigo.

Benign Paroxysmal Vertigo - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your benign paroxysmal vertigo?