Viewer Comments: Benign Positional Vertigo - Diagnosis and Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo:

Benign Positional Vertigo - Diagnosis and Treatment

How was your benign positional vertigo diagnosed and treated?

...
Comment from: BPV Sufferer, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 29

I woke up at 3 in the night with severe dizziness, lots of sweating and nausea. It scared the hell out of me. After going to the hospital and having a battery of tests done from MRI to CT to a Heart Echo , I was finally told I have BPV. It's been 5 days since I left the hospital and I still have some dizziness in the mornings which gets better as the day progresses. I have been prescribed Vertin 16 to help with the dizziness and it does help to some extent. I hope this dizziness goes away soon.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 29

Three months ago, I woke up with my head spinning whenever I turned my head to either side. Of course, it was extremely anxiety-producing, as well as physically debilitating. A friend referred me to a medical practice specializing in dizziness issues. They asked me lots of questions and gave me extensive ear/hearing tests. After all this they diagnosed me as having benign positional vertigo (BPV) and told me that there was a 70% chance that after one day's treatment there in the office I would walk away "cured". They proceeded to administer the Epley Maneuver, which basically consists of having you lie down and then changing the position of your head to "dump" the loose microscopic calcium pieces in your inner ear into less sensitive areas of the inner ear. Unfortunately, I was not in the 70% that responded in the first visit. It took three visits for me (over a one week time period, but the Epley Maneuver finally cleared my dizziness. This "clear" period lasted about 3 months, during which time I returned to all my activities, including intense tennis, surfing and working out in the gym. Last week it came back and I immediately scheduled another appointment with the same physician's assistant who treated me before. I feel a little better the day after my first Epley treatment, but if I were to guess, I think I will have to go back for at least one more treatment. I am confident, however, that it will work again. So there is hope. You just need to find a medical practice that specializes in dizziness.

Comment from: Dezzy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I woke up one morning with severe dizziness and actually fell and hit my head because of it. I went to the ER and after doing 3 blood tests was told I had labrynthitis. I went to follow up with my primary doctor who disagreed and said I had BPV. He did an MRI which was normal. But here it is 4 days after symptoms began and I am still spinning and my doctor tells me that people with BPV should not miss work as it really isn't that debilitating. I am on Meclizine for the dizziness and that makes me tired. I am nervous about driving but guess I have no choice but to go back to work. This is very frustrating.

Comment from: Tommie Roe, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

I was diagnosed with BPV back in 1990. I woke up from a sound sleep feeling like my head was spinning 200mph. I had to hold my head in a certain position to keep from spinning and getting sick. It went away on its own after about two weeks. 5 years later it hit me again, this time much worse, couldn't even walk for days. Ironically I ate shrimp the day before, which is what I had for supper the first time I got BPV five years earlier. So obviously it was time for me to avoid shrimp and blame the dizziness on being allergic to shrimp. Well 10 years after giving up shrimp bang! BPV hits me with a vengeance, totally unable to sit-up or walk for days, I would just spin out of control if I moved my head in the wrong direction. Took weeks for it to go away. I guess maybe I'm not allergic to shrimp! My latest bout with BPV was in September of 2009. Same symptoms, violent spinning, uncontrolled eye movement, had to try to avoid certain head positions. It finally went away almost 5 weeks later. If it happens again I'm going to try to find a doctor that knows how to perform the Epley manuver.

Comment from: Janette, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

I started having dizziness after having a cold and was told it was an ear infection; no medication was required as it would go away by itself, which it did. 3 months later the dizziness came back with a vengeance. I went to seek medical advice, this time I was told I have BPV and was given medication, it eventually went away, a week after stopping medication I was hit with the dizziness again, so bad that I was having the cold sweats and nausea, I went for a CT scan and I am going back for the results today. This condition is so debilitating and I drive 5 days a week as I am a rep on the road so I need to get this under control. I will submit my results of the scan later.

Comment from: Yooper410, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 25

When I was going on three years old I lost my balance and fell off the outside steps to my house and hit my head on the ground. I spent a week in the hospital. Years later, I had a bad ear infection in my left ear. I first started feeling dizzy when I was around nine years old in school, when students were required to put their heads down on their desks for nap time. I fell asleep and when I woke up and raised my head the whole room seemed like it was moving. I have been suffering from dizziness ever since.

Comment from: jtbob, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 11

I learned a procedure from a friend. 1) Sit on a bed with a pillow behind you so that it will be under you shoulders when you lie back. 2)Turn your head away from the edge of the bed, 45 degrees, then lie back on the pillow with your head still turned. Stay for 30 seconds. 3) Turn your head 90 degrees to the opposite side. Hold for 30 seconds. 4) Turn you head further 90 degrees more (so you will be looking down). Stay for 30 seconds. 5) Swing your legs off the bed and sit up gently. For more, repeat the process, reversing the direction on the bed. I was told this will move some crystals in the ear to a location that will remove the problem. It works wonderfully well for me, often removing the symptoms the first one or two treatments. They told to do it three times a day for a few days, if needed. Then periodically as needed.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Benign Positional Vertigo

Labyrinthitis
Labyrinthitis Labyrinthitis means an inflammation of the inner ear structure called the labyrinth. Sometimes the term labyrinthitis refers to other causes of inner ear proble...learn more >>
Meniere Disease
Meniere Disease Meniere's disease is a syndrome in which you experience episodes of spinning vertigo (sense of the room spinning), hearing loss, and tinnitus (ringing in the ea...learn more >>
Tinnitus (Ringing in the Ears)
Tinnitus Tinnitus (ringing in the ears) is a cause for hearing loss...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo:

Benign Positional Vertigo - Exercises

What exercises helped with your benign positional vertigo?

Benign Paroxysmal Vertigo - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your benign paroxysmal vertigo?

Benign Positional Vertigo - Experience

Please describe your experience with benign positional vertigo.