Viewer Comments: Benign Positional Vertigo - Diagnosis and Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo:

Benign Positional Vertigo - Diagnosis and Treatment

How was your benign positional vertigo diagnosed and treated?

Comment from: vet81, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 13

I was working in the yard. When I stood up, everything seems to be on a slight delay of movement and focus. I thought I needed to rest for a moment, so I went inside and sat down on the couch and then the spinning came on. I had just had a complete physical two weeks before, and everything was fine. I'm not on any medication and I don't have any ailments. This would go on in short periods throughout the day. After eight hours of sleeps, I figured I had enough rest and all would be well. I felt good most of the morning, then it came on again. I made a doctor's appointment, where he did a few tests for BPV. My head was so light the second day, I was told to rest, and that if it didn't go away, I would be referred elsewhere. Reading other comments helps me understand what I'm going through.

Comment from: Erlynne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I first suffered my first attack of BPV about five years ago after going for a long bike ride. I was fine at first, but when I went to bed, I still felt like I was pedaling a bike. I then woke at three in the morning in a sweat with the room spinning. I was nauseated, but not sick. At first, I was told that I had an ear infection and to be patient, as it would pass in a few days. It did not pass in a few days, and I returned to the doctor, where I was referred to an ENT specialist. This is where they told me I had BPV and they also told me that they may be able to cure me.

Comment from: Shirlgirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I went to see my PCP and she confirmed that I had vertigo and prescribed some anti-dizziness meds. She did not tell me that I had BPV. I couldn't drive for about a week. My vertigo lasted about a month. My doctor also did not inform me that vertigo might come back. It did, but not as severe. Needless to say I have a new PCP and when I told him my symptoms, he immediately said BPV. I am sticking with this guy. He gave me some exercises to help.

Comment from: Nurse L, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I woke up at 3am with the room spinning about 10days ago. It kind of scared me and I lay still thinking it would go away. I rolled side to side over a 45 minute period and then it hit me worse and the room would not stop spinning. I woke my boyfriend up because I thought I was going to vomit when I tried to get out of bed. I just fell to the floor and had dry heaves. I am a nurse and work in a doctor's office. I called in to work. I made an appointment for 1pm. I vomited 2 separate times that morning and got nauseated every time I got out of bed. I have never been so sick without be sick. The doctor performed a test and reproduced the spinning sensation. He determined I had BPV. He gave me some medications to use and told me how to do the Epley maneuver at home. I did this for 5 days in a row, now this evening as I was doing some exercise the spinning sensation came back. This is miserable.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

I woke up one morning, head spinning like crazy when I tried to sit up. I calmed down after a few minutes. After five days of this thought I better see the doctor. As I described the symptoms, he had a knowing smile on his face. Got me to lie down on the couch and moved my head and body in various directions (what I now know as the Epley maneuver). Boy did my head spin when he did that! He said 75% chance he'd cured it, if not come back and he'll do it again raising chance of cure to 90%. Next morning no dizziness, a month on now and, touch wood, it seems I'm cured. I'm concerned to read reports on here about recurrent bouts, and I hope I don't get it again. If I do I'm straight down to the doctor to Epley me!

Comment from: arien, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I was diagnosed with BPV last month. I woke up one morning, only to faint immediately. I was admitted to the hospital, during which period I would faint nearly 20 times a day when I tried to sit up after lying horizontally. The doctors said I have BPV after going through my case history. Yes, I went through the same torture that all other patients have gone through, such as the feeling that you are falling from a great height. And the dizziness is downright terrifying. It's been a month now, and I still have good days and bad days.

Comment from: beema, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I've had BPV for about six years now and have just had the worst bout ever as I couldn't turn my head either way whilst lying down without spinning at 200 mph. I therefore had no alternative but to lie in bed well propped up, with a neck pillow, a pillow under my legs and a pillow under each arm and have never found so much comfort in bed, and best of all I do not turn or move once and I am hoping that this will help deter another onset of BPV. I am also a heavy snorer and although my doctor says this has nothing to do with BPV, I have my doubts as like others, a trip to the dentist and the vibration of the drill set the spinning off and I was not at that time having an attack, so am going to have surgery for the snoring, adopt my new bed lifestyle and hope for the best because as we all know on this site it is truly horrible to suffer with this.

Must Read Articles Related to Benign Positional Vertigo

Labyrinthitis
Labyrinthitis Labyrinthitis means an inflammation of the inner ear structure called the labyrinth. Sometimes the term labyrinthitis refers to other causes of inner ear proble...learn more >>
Meniere Disease
Meniere Disease Meniere's disease is a syndrome in which you experience episodes of spinning vertigo (sense of the room spinning), hearing loss, and tinnitus (ringing in the ea...learn more >>
Vertigo
Vertigo Vertigo, a feeling or perception that the environment around you is moving or spinning can be caused by inner ear inflammation, Benign paroxysmal positional ver...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo:

Benign Positional Vertigo - Exercises

What exercises helped with your benign positional vertigo?

Benign Postional Vertigo - Experience

Please describe your experience with benign positional vertigo.

Benign Paroxysmal Vertigo - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your benign paroxysmal vertigo?