Viewer Comments: Benign Positional Vertigo - Diagnosis and Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo:

Benign Positional Vertigo - Diagnosis and Treatment

How was your benign positional vertigo diagnosed and treated?

Comment from: JohnM, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

As a result of a bicycle crash where I went head over heels and was thrown to the pavement (no injuries), I had been getting severe dizzy spells when I would look up mostly. This went on for ten years, until I went to a physical therapist who, after examining and interviewing me, laid me down on a bed with my head dangling off one end facing to the left, and had me turn my head and then body to the right, so that my head effectively turned 180 degrees (at least). She did both sides and the problem went away.

Comment from: Weezie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I experienced an overwhelming dizziness after doing 'downward dog' in yoga class. It did subside after a long 30 seconds but the next day I was dizzy. The doctor had me lay down on the table and held my head, turned it to the left 45 degrees which sparked the overwhelming dizziness again. She repeated it on the right but nothing happened. With the BPV diagnosis, she suggested doing the Epley maneuver at home 3 times a day. It has worked! A week later I am much better but continue to do the Epley to avoid any more vertigo.

Comment from: typist90, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I was at work on last year when the first symptoms of vertigo hit me. I was just sitting there, answering the phone, when suddenly the whole world starts spinning. I actually tried to keep answering the phones, figuring it would go away in a few seconds. It didn't. It got worse and worse, and they had to take me away from work in an ambulance. The ER doc thought I was hamming it up for my family (long story there), but I was admitted overnight and they did a bunch of tests. No one even said the word vertigo. The doc said I could go back to work the day after, but I missed a week of work because my boss wouldn't let me come back until I stopped walking into walls and could stand up straight. It took that long to get my doc to send me to a physical therapist who finally told me what was wrong and showed me a maneuver that kind of helped. I'm still off balance all the time, but I can fake it. I've had a couple of episodes since then, one of them just last night while I was sitting in class. They tell you not to drive in case the symptoms come back, but how are you supposed to live like that? I made it home and did the exercise, but I'm home today because I'm exhausted and still too dizzy. I did the exercise again this morning and am going to do it again this afternoon and tonight, and plan on going to work tomorrow, but we'll see. I don't like to take the meds because I'm already on meds for hypertension, allergies and stomach issues--too many pills! It doesn't help that some of the people at my work don't think it's a real medical issue. One of the execs actually told me to sit calmly and say the alphabet backwards and the symptoms would go away. I've learned to just ignore people like that and forums like this help, because I've been able to see that I'm not alone, that people from all walks of life have this problem, and I'm not a crybaby. If there are any developments, I'll be back.

Comment from: vet81, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 13

I was working in the yard. When I stood up, everything seems to be on a slight delay of movement and focus. I thought I needed to rest for a moment, so I went inside and sat down on the couch and then the spinning came on. I had just had a complete physical two weeks before, and everything was fine. I'm not on any medication and I don't have any ailments. This would go on in short periods throughout the day. After eight hours of sleeps, I figured I had enough rest and all would be well. I felt good most of the morning, then it came on again. I made a doctor's appointment, where he did a few tests for BPV. My head was so light the second day, I was told to rest, and that if it didn't go away, I would be referred elsewhere. Reading other comments helps me understand what I'm going through.

Comment from: Erlynne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I first suffered my first attack of BPV about five years ago after going for a long bike ride. I was fine at first, but when I went to bed, I still felt like I was pedaling a bike. I then woke at three in the morning in a sweat with the room spinning. I was nauseated, but not sick. At first, I was told that I had an ear infection and to be patient, as it would pass in a few days. It did not pass in a few days, and I returned to the doctor, where I was referred to an ENT specialist. This is where they told me I had BPV and they also told me that they may be able to cure me.

Comment from: Shirlgirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I went to see my PCP and she confirmed that I had vertigo and prescribed some anti-dizziness meds. She did not tell me that I had BPV. I couldn't drive for about a week. My vertigo lasted about a month. My doctor also did not inform me that vertigo might come back. It did, but not as severe. Needless to say I have a new PCP and when I told him my symptoms, he immediately said BPV. I am sticking with this guy. He gave me some exercises to help.

Comment from: Nurse L, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I woke up at 3am with the room spinning about 10days ago. It kind of scared me and I lay still thinking it would go away. I rolled side to side over a 45 minute period and then it hit me worse and the room would not stop spinning. I woke my boyfriend up because I thought I was going to vomit when I tried to get out of bed. I just fell to the floor and had dry heaves. I am a nurse and work in a doctor's office. I called in to work. I made an appointment for 1pm. I vomited 2 separate times that morning and got nauseated every time I got out of bed. I have never been so sick without be sick. The doctor performed a test and reproduced the spinning sensation. He determined I had BPV. He gave me some medications to use and told me how to do the Epley maneuver at home. I did this for 5 days in a row, now this evening as I was doing some exercise the spinning sensation came back. This is miserable.

Must Read Articles Related to Benign Positional Vertigo

Labyrinthitis Labyrinthitis means an inflammation of the inner ear structure called the labyrinth. Sometimes the term labyrinthitis refers to other causes of inner ear proble...learn more >>
Meniere Disease
Meniere Disease Meniere's disease is a syndrome in which you experience episodes of spinning vertigo (sense of the room spinning), hearing loss, and tinnitus (ringing in the ea...learn more >>
Tinnitus (Ringing in the Ears)
Tinnitus Tinnitus (ringing in the ears) is a cause for hearing loss...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo:

Benign Positional Vertigo - Exercises

What exercises helped with your benign positional vertigo?

Benign Positional Vertigo - Experience

Please describe your experience with benign positional vertigo.

Benign Paroxysmal Vertigo - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your benign paroxysmal vertigo?