Viewer Comments: Benign Positional Vertigo - Diagnosis and Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo:

Benign Positional Vertigo - Diagnosis and Treatment

How was your benign positional vertigo diagnosed and treated?

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

I woke up one morning, head spinning like crazy when I tried to sit up. I calmed down after a few minutes. After five days of this thought I better see the doctor. As I described the symptoms, he had a knowing smile on his face. Got me to lie down on the couch and moved my head and body in various directions (what I now know as the Epley maneuver). Boy did my head spin when he did that! He said 75% chance he'd cured it, if not come back and he'll do it again raising chance of cure to 90%. Next morning no dizziness, a month on now and, touch wood, it seems I'm cured. I'm concerned to read reports on here about recurrent bouts, and I hope I don't get it again. If I do I'm straight down to the doctor to Epley me!

Comment from: arien, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I was diagnosed with BPV last month. I woke up one morning, only to faint immediately. I was admitted to the hospital, during which period I would faint nearly 20 times a day when I tried to sit up after lying horizontally. The doctors said I have BPV after going through my case history. Yes, I went through the same torture that all other patients have gone through, such as the feeling that you are falling from a great height. And the dizziness is downright terrifying. It's been a month now, and I still have good days and bad days.

Comment from: beema, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I've had BPV for about six years now and have just had the worst bout ever as I couldn't turn my head either way whilst lying down without spinning at 200 mph. I therefore had no alternative but to lie in bed well propped up, with a neck pillow, a pillow under my legs and a pillow under each arm and have never found so much comfort in bed, and best of all I do not turn or move once and I am hoping that this will help deter another onset of BPV. I am also a heavy snorer and although my doctor says this has nothing to do with BPV, I have my doubts as like others, a trip to the dentist and the vibration of the drill set the spinning off and I was not at that time having an attack, so am going to have surgery for the snoring, adopt my new bed lifestyle and hope for the best because as we all know on this site it is truly horrible to suffer with this.

Comment from: Jen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I've had BPV since I was 30. I woke up from a dream that I was spinning and was. I could not walk, it is the scariest thing. I have RA and would rather have that than the BPV any day. My episodes never went away 100%. It probably took over a year. I can say, however, I do everything to avoid head movements that bring it on, sleep with 2 pillows; I always tell dentists, hair stylist, surgeons, etc, that they HAVE TO KEEP MY HEAD UP OR DONT WORK WITH ME!!! That's it folks, if they won't, don't use them. They don't understand the condition; they just think its regular vertigo. I have not had an episode in YEARS......Yes, it can stay away if you do the right things. I also have 2 great ENTs close by who do the Epley if I need it. That really works if you get the right Dr. If you are in South Florida, Dr. Li, in Palm Beach Gardens is great. Good luck to everyone and you can get rid of it and live a wonderful life.....

Comment from: duncan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I have BPV and have found tremendous relief with a competent physical therapist that performs the Epley Manuver. I have had recurrent bouts and each time I am treated, I am symptom free for periods of up to 6 months or a year. I do not take medication for the vertigo but rather rely on the repositioning techniques she uses. I can't say what brings the positional vertigo on, but when I first experience the dizziness in response to a change in head position, I schedule an appt. I was very lucky to have been referred to a physical therapist that specializes in this by my doctor. There is hope...find a competent physical therapist trained in the Epley Manuver.

Comment from: dizzy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

Today I have been diagnosed as having benign positional vertigo, I have been dizzy for about 6 wks. I have to hold on to the wall or shower for stability; when I move in any direction I feel dizzy, even in the middle of the night when I return to my bed after going to the bathroom. I thought this was strange as I can feel the dizziness even with my eyes closed. I have to go back to my ENT specialist in 2 wks for some exercises that are supposed to help. Taking meclizine did not help at all.

Comment from: Louise, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I had no forewarning, no head injury or illness. Just walked in the house and felt off balance and dizzy. Thought it was sinuses. Got worse by the weekend and went to walk-in clinic. Doc said I had Labyrinthitis and gave me meds. After 4 days, I felt worse. I went to an ENT specialist. He said I had Benign Positional Vertigo and sent me to a physical therapist. After doing tests on me, she said I had vestibular nerve impairment. I am now going for PT treatments with her and doing head and walking exercises at home 3 times a day. Not on any meds. I THINK I am feeling somewhat better, but not totally un-dizzy yet. It has now been 13 days since my first dizzy spell. I am hopeful with this therapist.

Must Read Articles Related to Benign Positional Vertigo

Labyrinthitis Labyrinthitis means an inflammation of the inner ear structure called the labyrinth. Sometimes the term labyrinthitis refers to other causes of inner ear proble...learn more >>
Meniere Disease
Meniere Disease Meniere's disease is a syndrome in which you experience episodes of spinning vertigo (sense of the room spinning), hearing loss, and tinnitus (ringing in the ea...learn more >>
Vertigo Vertigo, a feeling or perception that the environment around you is moving or spinning can be caused by inner ear inflammation, Benign paroxysmal positional ver...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo:

Benign Positional Vertigo - Exercises

What exercises helped with your benign positional vertigo?

Benign Positional Vertigo - Experience

Please describe your experience with benign positional vertigo.

Benign Paroxysmal Vertigo - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your benign paroxysmal vertigo?