Viewer Comments: Benign Positional Vertigo - Diagnosis and Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo:

Benign Positional Vertigo - Diagnosis and Treatment

How was your benign positional vertigo diagnosed and treated?

Comment from: Jen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I've had BPV since I was 30. I woke up from a dream that I was spinning and was. I could not walk, it is the scariest thing. I have RA and would rather have that than the BPV any day. My episodes never went away 100%. It probably took over a year. I can say, however, I do everything to avoid head movements that bring it on, sleep with 2 pillows; I always tell dentists, hair stylist, surgeons, etc, that they HAVE TO KEEP MY HEAD UP OR DONT WORK WITH ME!!! That's it folks, if they won't, don't use them. They don't understand the condition; they just think its regular vertigo. I have not had an episode in YEARS......Yes, it can stay away if you do the right things. I also have 2 great ENTs close by who do the Epley if I need it. That really works if you get the right Dr. If you are in South Florida, Dr. Li, in Palm Beach Gardens is great. Good luck to everyone and you can get rid of it and live a wonderful life.....

Comment from: duncan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I have BPV and have found tremendous relief with a competent physical therapist that performs the Epley Manuver. I have had recurrent bouts and each time I am treated, I am symptom free for periods of up to 6 months or a year. I do not take medication for the vertigo but rather rely on the repositioning techniques she uses. I can't say what brings the positional vertigo on, but when I first experience the dizziness in response to a change in head position, I schedule an appt. I was very lucky to have been referred to a physical therapist that specializes in this by my doctor. There is hope...find a competent physical therapist trained in the Epley Manuver.

Comment from: dizzy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

Today I have been diagnosed as having benign positional vertigo, I have been dizzy for about 6 wks. I have to hold on to the wall or shower for stability; when I move in any direction I feel dizzy, even in the middle of the night when I return to my bed after going to the bathroom. I thought this was strange as I can feel the dizziness even with my eyes closed. I have to go back to my ENT specialist in 2 wks for some exercises that are supposed to help. Taking meclizine did not help at all.

Comment from: Louise, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I had no forewarning, no head injury or illness. Just walked in the house and felt off balance and dizzy. Thought it was sinuses. Got worse by the weekend and went to walk-in clinic. Doc said I had Labyrinthitis and gave me meds. After 4 days, I felt worse. I went to an ENT specialist. He said I had Benign Positional Vertigo and sent me to a physical therapist. After doing tests on me, she said I had vestibular nerve impairment. I am now going for PT treatments with her and doing head and walking exercises at home 3 times a day. Not on any meds. I THINK I am feeling somewhat better, but not totally un-dizzy yet. It has now been 13 days since my first dizzy spell. I am hopeful with this therapist.

Comment from: Carol, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I have had positional vertigo for 22 years and have flare-ups that generally last a week or a few days. I use valium to calm the spinning. When I walk regularly and drink lots of water the symptoms get better. Also, resting on my left side helps but any turn to the right can bring on the spinning and dizziness. I also get a feeling of stuffiness in my left ear. I have tried the exercises in which you dangle your head off the bed to bring on the symptoms but they cause so much anxiety that I don't regularly do them. I am resigned to live with this the rest of my life.

Comment from: dizzy in michigan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

Ii came down with vertigo in the 1980s and I'm still affected by it. I hate it. I live on Dramamine. The first time it happened, I could do nothing for 9 months. I went to three specialists who could not find nothing wrong, so they said it was BPV. I haven't found much help, and I have done everything there is to do.

Comment from: michigandiver, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 19

I woke up with left frontal sinus ache, nausea, sweats, vomiting. Went to emergency room at local hospital and I told doctor I thought I had an inner ear disorder due to feeling of falling over. The ER said it was reflect migraine and I needed to be on a beta blocker. Sent home, symptoms worsened, went to different hospital. E.R., young female Dr. said I had "Benign Positional Vertigo" prescribed valium and an anti-vertigo medication, and symptoms started to subside. There are competent and incompetent doctors, hope anyone that gets BPV gets one like my second one. Don't let some arrogant-can-never-be-wrong doctor tell you what is wrong with you when you know he/she is WRONG!

Comment from: William V, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

I was just diagnosed with BPV, after 4 days of frustrating lightheadedness. I have never experienced the constant dizziness, but I am thrilled that there is nothing such as a brain tumor going on (still counting my blessings). I am in high hopes that this will be a short-lived spell.

Must Read Articles Related to Benign Positional Vertigo

Labyrinthitis
Labyrinthitis Labyrinthitis means an inflammation of the inner ear structure called the labyrinth. Sometimes the term labyrinthitis refers to other causes of inner ear proble...learn more >>
Meniere Disease
Meniere Disease Meniere's disease is a syndrome in which you experience episodes of spinning vertigo (sense of the room spinning), hearing loss, and tinnitus (ringing in the ea...learn more >>
Vertigo
Vertigo Vertigo, a feeling or perception that the environment around you is moving or spinning can be caused by inner ear inflammation, Benign paroxysmal positional ver...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo:

Benign Positional Vertigo - Exercises

What exercises helped with your benign positional vertigo?

Benign Positional Vertigo - Experience

Please describe your experience with benign positional vertigo.

Benign Paroxysmal Vertigo - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your benign paroxysmal vertigo?