Viewer Comments: Benign Positional Vertigo - Diagnosis and Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo:

Benign Positional Vertigo - Diagnosis and Treatment

How was your benign positional vertigo diagnosed and treated?

Comment from: shaking head, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

Back in 2004 I felt something happening to me and I ended up flat on my back with the room spinning around. It was the scariest experience I've ever had. I was hospitalized for three days. Another two weeks off work and I was able to get back and bash into walls etc. I have never been the same since. I keep getting told that it's a self-correcting thing. They could have fooled me. I tried a modern jive dance last night and I'm still suffering the consequences today. I can't do anything that will remotely turn me around. I can't climb ladders anymore. I don't think doctors actually know what to do about it. I gave up and just accepted that I have to put up with it for the rest of my life.

Comment from: AgilityDogMom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 18

I was diagnosed with BPV (benign positional vertigo) after suddenly waking with severe, constant dizziness. There were no other prior illnesses or head injuries that lead to this, although I did suffer from minor (10-20 seconds) bouts of vertigo for years. Luckily, I had no other symptoms beyond the severe dizziness (and subsequent nausea) so my diagnosis was easy. I was given medication and that helped the nausea considerably. I am now doing the exercises mentioned in this article, and those seem to help the dizziness. I never realized how debilitating vertigo could be, but it really knocked me out. It may seem weak to say I suffer from vertigo (dizziness), but if you have it, you know how bad it can be. You can't even sit up, much less stand and walk and function properly. If you have it, get help... It can be so easy to control.

Comment from: weemon, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

After having a bout with the pandemic H1N1 or swine influenza virus, I was told that I had a related viral inner ear infection which was causing my vertigo condition. It's awful to say the least. I am still undergoing treatment for the infection. I can't walk or drive and I drive for a living!

Comment from: dizzydaisy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

Have had repeated attacks, which I dread, over the past 12 years, some so severe they required hospital treatment for IV medication and rehydration. This is one of the most debilitating conditions I can think of. I have been unable to determine a cause after seeing several specialists and having many tests, scans etc. I have been told to learn to live with it as it is not fatal. At present, I have little episodes from time to time which, makes life very difficult.

Comment from: Lynn L, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I was teaching a music student when I go severely dizzy. I had had this 6 months to a year ago when I awoke dizzy, made it downstairs but then got very sick to my stomach. The symptoms went away by the next day and I forgot about it. This time, I got very sick again and had to be taken home. I was vomiting so much I got exhausted and called an ambulance. They gave me an IV, oxygen and at the hospital, Meclizine and Adavan, an EKG and a cat scan. The next day a physical therapist tried a maneuver where I had to hang my head over the edge of the bed. I rested once I got home for a few days. Since then I have taken the Meclizine 1/2 tab occasionally and had just a few little dizzy spells.

Must Read Articles Related to Benign Positional Vertigo

Labyrinthitis
Labyrinthitis Labyrinthitis means an inflammation of the inner ear structure called the labyrinth. Sometimes the term labyrinthitis refers to other causes of inner ear proble...learn more >>
Meniere Disease
Meniere Disease Meniere's disease is a syndrome in which you experience episodes of spinning vertigo (sense of the room spinning), hearing loss, and tinnitus (ringing in the ea...learn more >>
Vertigo
Vertigo Vertigo, a feeling or perception that the environment around you is moving or spinning can be caused by inner ear inflammation, Benign paroxysmal positional ver...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo:

Benign Positional Vertigo - Exercises

What exercises helped with your benign positional vertigo?

Benign Postional Vertigo - Experience

Please describe your experience with benign positional vertigo.

Benign Paroxysmal Vertigo - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your benign paroxysmal vertigo?