Viewer Comments: Benign Positional Vertigo - Exercises

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo:

Benign Positional Vertigo - Exercises

What exercises helped with your benign positional vertigo?

Comment from: Jim, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 17

I found a physio who did Brandt/Daroff and gave me a couple of exercises. The improvement was slow, so back to the doctor I went. I saw a specialist, had an MRI, but nothing showed up. I still have trouble and I'm totally frustrated.

Comment from: Soulmates, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I am an ER nurse in my 50s. I've had this for the first time a year ago and I have had dozens of patients with it. It was a miserable two weeks until it resolved the first time. Since then I researched topic and discovered Epley maneuvers. My husband watched a couple of you tube videos and then put me through Epley which had almost a 90% success rate. During the movements my brain felt like it was spinning around in my skull and it was very disorienting. Since then (4 hours) I have kept my head level and remained upright on pillows. It is amazing! I feel a little sore and dizzy, but I am able to walk around slowly and even ate dinner (without looking downward). This maneuver has cut days to weeks off recovery time.

Comment from: lpershern, 55-64 Female Published: April 01

I have had several recurrences of BPV since I was 40 and I am now 61. The only thing that helps is doing the Epley Maneuvers.

Comment from: dashmini, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I developed positional vertigo after my head (wearing a helmet!) hit the pavement in a biking accident. I found that the first time I got the Epley treatment, it took several rounds. Since then, if I have a flare-up a single treatment usually does the trick.

I did the Epley maneuver for two days and was able to wake up without symptoms.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

The self-treatment for benign positional vertigo (Epley treatment) was shown to me by my doctor. It reduced the dizziness by at least 50%. I was able to find a printout of the directions by Googling "self-treatment for benign positional vertigo."

Physical therapy helped in my case.

Comment from: Ms. CJHAZ, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I was just diagnosed today. I have been suffering from bouts of "dizziness" for about 3 years now. I had a pretty good head injury due to a car wreck with a drunk a driver. Occasionally I will have a "dizzy spell" sitting at my desk or just standing. Today was the first time I missed work because of it and the nausea was kind of overwhelming. While I am not thrilled at the idea that BPPV is something I am going to have for life, I am very glad that it is not a stroke! He did the Epley Maneuver and I am feeling slightly better.

Comment from: Beebee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I do some Epley maneuvers until the vertigo subsides to less than 30 seconds. I then avoid rolling over in bed or lying flat. I do my best to keep my head faced forward and not move it much at all.

Comment from: Irwin, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 31

Since my initial attack 6 years ago which was so severe I was hospitalized for 3 days, subsequent attacks have been relatively minor. I have found the best thing to do when I get dizzy is to hold my head steady (in whatever position I am in) and stare at a fixed point on the wall or ceiling. The dizziness usually goes away in a matter of a few seconds.

Comment from: mary, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

Performing the Epley Maneuver will relieve the vertigo symptoms 95% of the time for me. Also, I have learned to avoid certain movements that will trigger vertigo.

Comment from: Jean, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 18

I sometimes find a very small amount of magnesium taken at bedtime helps by the morning.

Must Read Articles Related to Benign Positional Vertigo

Labyrinthitis
Labyrinthitis Labyrinthitis means an inflammation of the inner ear structure called the labyrinth. Sometimes the term labyrinthitis refers to other causes of inner ear proble...learn more >>
Meniere Disease
Meniere Disease Meniere's disease is a syndrome in which you experience episodes of spinning vertigo (sense of the room spinning), hearing loss, and tinnitus (ringing in the ea...learn more >>
Vertigo
Vertigo Vertigo, a feeling or perception that the environment around you is moving or spinning can be caused by inner ear inflammation, Benign paroxysmal positional ver...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo:

Benign Positional Vertigo - Experience

Please describe your experience with benign positional vertigo.

Benign Paroxysmal Vertigo - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your benign paroxysmal vertigo?

Benign Positional Vertigo - Diagnosis and Treatment

How was your benign positional vertigo diagnosed and treated?