Viewer Comments: Benign Positional Vertigo - Exercises

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo:

Benign Positional Vertigo - Exercises

What exercises helped with your benign positional vertigo?

Comment from: Verklempft, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

On 10/21/2015 I had just put toddlers down for naps and lay down to nap also while singing. I looked over at the 17 month old which was down/left from my supine position and had severe spinning, nausea, and what I now know was eye twitching. I learned that day from a friend about benign positional vertigo which was resolved with exercises. I called his doctor and was facing a USD 1000 visit, so googled the subject and found several videos with various maneuvers. I was able to trigger the vertigo by lying on back with head hanging and turning to left. Turning to right I have no vertigo or eye twitch. I went ahead and did self Epley on left but failed to stay upright for the day. Today (day after self-treatment) I had a bout of vertigo while feeding kids lunch but cannot cause any spinning with positioning my head as before. I feel much better but kind of hungover, like tired and fuzzy. If symptoms last will absolutely see the dizziness doctor to rule out serious illness.

Comment from: Dennis, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 05

I have had benign positional vertigo for 6 weeks now, at first on the left side. I saw an ENT doctor, did the Epley maneuver, and I felt better for a few days, and then much worse. I went back as now I had it on the right side. I did the Epley maneuver, but was not better. I tried again several more times at home for two weeks, still no better. I went back to the doctor, he did the Epley again, and said if I am not better in 3 days, he will send me to physical therapy. I am getting very frustrated.

Comment from: Jim, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 17

I found a physio who did Brandt/Daroff and gave me a couple of exercises. The improvement was slow, so back to the doctor I went. I saw a specialist, had an MRI, but nothing showed up. I still have trouble and I'm totally frustrated.

Comment from: Soulmates, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I am an ER nurse in my 50s. I've had this for the first time a year ago and I have had dozens of patients with it. It was a miserable two weeks until it resolved the first time. Since then I researched topic and discovered Epley maneuvers. My husband watched a couple of you tube videos and then put me through Epley which had almost a 90% success rate. During the movements my brain felt like it was spinning around in my skull and it was very disorienting. Since then (4 hours) I have kept my head level and remained upright on pillows. It is amazing! I feel a little sore and dizzy, but I am able to walk around slowly and even ate dinner (without looking downward). This maneuver has cut days to weeks off recovery time.

Comment from: lpershern, 55-64 Female Published: April 01

I have had several recurrences of BPV since I was 40 and I am now 61. The only thing that helps is doing the Epley Maneuvers.

Comment from: dashmini, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I developed positional vertigo after my head (wearing a helmet!) hit the pavement in a biking accident. I found that the first time I got the Epley treatment, it took several rounds. Since then, if I have a flare-up a single treatment usually does the trick.

I did the Epley maneuver for two days and was able to wake up without symptoms.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

The self-treatment for benign positional vertigo (Epley treatment) was shown to me by my doctor. It reduced the dizziness by at least 50%. I was able to find a printout of the directions by Googling "self-treatment for benign positional vertigo."

Physical therapy helped in my case.

Comment from: Ms. CJHAZ, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I was just diagnosed today. I have been suffering from bouts of "dizziness" for about 3 years now. I had a pretty good head injury due to a car wreck with a drunk a driver. Occasionally I will have a "dizzy spell" sitting at my desk or just standing. Today was the first time I missed work because of it and the nausea was kind of overwhelming. While I am not thrilled at the idea that BPPV is something I am going to have for life, I am very glad that it is not a stroke! He did the Epley Maneuver and I am feeling slightly better.

Must Read Articles Related to Benign Positional Vertigo

Labyrinthitis Labyrinthitis means an inflammation of the inner ear structure called the labyrinth. Sometimes the term labyrinthitis refers to other causes of inner ear proble...learn more >>
Meniere Disease
Meniere Disease Meniere's disease is a syndrome in which you experience episodes of spinning vertigo (sense of the room spinning), hearing loss, and tinnitus (ringing in the ea...learn more >>
Tinnitus (Ringing in the Ears)
Tinnitus Tinnitus (ringing in the ears) is a cause for hearing loss...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo:

Benign Positional Vertigo - Diagnosis and Treatment

How was your benign positional vertigo diagnosed and treated?

Benign Positional Vertigo - Experience

Please describe your experience with benign positional vertigo.

Benign Paroxysmal Vertigo - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your benign paroxysmal vertigo?