Viewer Comments: Benign Positional Vertigo - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo:

Benign Positional Vertigo - Experience

Please describe your experience with benign positional vertigo.

Comment from: sandicoops, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I have had two major attacks of this condition. They were both cured by performing the Epley maneuver and the symptoms then disappeared very quickly. Both occurrences happened whilst I was asleep in bed, but after prolonged periods of stress.

Comment from: 65-74 Female Published: February 27

I suffered from vertigo and it took quite a while to control it. We discovered it was a twofold problem. One was crystals in the fluid of the inner ear that would get caught in the balance mechanism of my ear and the other was my eyes, which were not working together, one focused in the distance and the other up close. That gave my brain mixed messages and it would just shut down and I would get dizzy and fall down (glasses were a simple fix). The inner ear problem was solved by rolling my head in circles to the left and to the right (trying to touch my shoulder) morning and night.

Comment from: jamsma, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

I was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago. My dizziness lasted all day for one week. Before that it would come and go but always lasted 24 hours. I do not get sick and function with it. When I get BPV I feel pressure in my ears and the back of my head. I have not found a treatment that works to make it better. I'd like to know more about it and find out if perhaps there might be something else going on that doctors have missed.

Comment from: carolina, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have had BPV off and on since 1972. In ever know when it is going to happen or when it will stop. Finally got a doctor that taught me the Epley maneuver and it has helped.

Comment from: mi6skipper, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I too have suffered from this for over 20 years. It affects your self esteem because it is hard to do anything besides close your eyes and rest. The motion sickness pills I use make you very sleepy and don't help all that much. My main problem is nausea. Because people can't see it, they think you are depressed or lazy. I feel for each and every one of the people out there who are suffering.

Comment from: Joanne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I am a 60 yr old female and have had BPV for 25 years. I have a severe case. Sometimes I go for months without an attack, sometimes I have a month of attacks. In the 80s when it first happened, doctors thought I was crazy. But now it has a name BPV. It caused problems in my marriage because my husband thought I was imagining it and was depressed---which made me depressed and helped destroy my marriage. I did have a minor head injury in the 70s and had tons of ear infections from swimming as a child. After years of suffering I have succumb to the attacks. I have had the positional treatments, tons of tests, doctors, the meclizine, etc. they do not help. I doctor here in Billings, MT put me on 4 grams of valium a day when I have an attack. Usually after two days with the valium and sleep, it goes away 90%. I don't stay on valium more than three days because it is addicting. You can't let it destroy your life, you have to just accept it and have to be careful with your head positioning especially when sleeping! My problem is my left side. Also, No more roller coasters, etc. (which I used to love). Anyway, that is my life living with BPV.

Comment from: Janet, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I was diagnosed with BPV about eight weeks ago .I received the Gonstead method of chiropractic care and the relief almost instant. Now I feel back in control and I can see straight again.

Must Read Articles Related to Benign Positional Vertigo

Labyrinthitis
Labyrinthitis Labyrinthitis means an inflammation of the inner ear structure called the labyrinth. Sometimes the term labyrinthitis refers to other causes of inner ear proble...learn more >>
Meniere Disease
Meniere Disease Meniere's disease is a syndrome in which you experience episodes of spinning vertigo (sense of the room spinning), hearing loss, and tinnitus (ringing in the ea...learn more >>
Vertigo
Vertigo Vertigo, a feeling or perception that the environment around you is moving or spinning can be caused by inner ear inflammation, Benign paroxysmal positional ver...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo:

Benign Positional Vertigo - Exercises

What exercises helped with your benign positional vertigo?

Benign Positional Vertigo - Diagnosis and Treatment

How was your benign positional vertigo diagnosed and treated?

Benign Paroxysmal Vertigo - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your benign paroxysmal vertigo?