Viewer Comments: Benign Positional Vertigo - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo:

Benign Positional Vertigo - Experience

Please describe your experience with benign positional vertigo.

Comment from: Clemmie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I have had several episodes of BPV. It is a terrible feeling of spinning, dizziness and nausea. The first time I got it I went to the doctor and he diagnosed it as BPV, which I never heard of. He did the maneuvers and I was better almost instantly. Last week after a lot of stress, it returned. I thought it had something to do with my trip to the hairdresser. She sometimes shampoos my head quite vigorously and my head hits the shampoo bowl. I went to the doctor and he again performed the maneuver for BPV. He told me to keep my head upright for 24 hours, which I did. The next morning I was back to normal. I have a very smart doctor and he took the time to do the maneuvers on me. I asked why other doctors don't do this and he said they don't like to take the time. In the past, years ago, my other doctors would give me medicine which never worked and said it was just an inner ear thing. I am so glad I finally found a doctor who is willing to take the time to treat the condition and explain the problem. Good doctors make all the difference in the world.

Comment from: anon, 55-64 Female Published: April 30

I have been diagnosed as having BPPV. I unfortunately have severe attacks that will last from two to four days at a time. I've not found the specific cause for an individual episode, which I am having more frequently. During an episode I do the Epley maneuver, and it does help somewhat. I'm looking forward to a cure, as I'm not functional during an episode.

Comment from: Lcsw, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I experienced BPPV over 15 years ago and it took 6months for the spinning and dizziness to stop. I had treatment and did the exercises daily. I have learned what head positions make me dizzy and avoid them. I have stayed mostly in remission for the past 10 years. Last week, I woke up early in the morning and leaped out of bed because my stomach was upset. I hurried into the bathroom and the next thing I knew was that my head and face were implanted in the corner of the wall. I did not fall to the floor because the wall was holding me up. It felt like something pushed me hard from behind. Blood was running down my face and a huge egg appeared over my temple. I had X-ray's and my eye orbits and cheek bones were not broken. Now I am experiencing dizziness for the first seven or eight hours after I wake up and then it wears off. Has anyone had this experience? I am used to my balance being off but this is worse.

Comment from: Jaslet, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 02

3years ago I was suddenly bowled over from behind by a large dog, whist walking my own small one. I hit the ground like a tree being felled, but to my amazement was able to get up and walk home, apparently shaken but otherwise unhurt. A few days later I began to experience symptoms of BPPV quite severely. I was seen ultimately by a neuro-physician, who performed various head treatments, including tapping vigorously on the bone behind my ear for several minutes to dislodge the crystals from where they had settled. This was repeated a number of times. I was then able to go home with instructions to rest and keep my head in a stable position for a day or two. I have had no recurrence of the symptoms since.

Comment from: photog, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 10

I have had this condition for 5 days now and it hit me right out of the blue! I was just waking up from a lovely sleep when my head started spinning like crazy. Luckily the spinning stopped almost as soon as I sat upright but it left me with a sickly feeling. Any attempt at lying down was out of the question because the spinning started up again. Doctor said do the exercises and it will go. So far it hasn't.

Comment from: sandicoops, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I have had two major attacks of this condition. They were both cured by performing the Epley maneuver and the symptoms then disappeared very quickly. Both occurrences happened whilst I was asleep in bed, but after prolonged periods of stress.

Comment from: 65-74 Female Published: February 27

I suffered from vertigo and it took quite a while to control it. We discovered it was a twofold problem. One was crystals in the fluid of the inner ear that would get caught in the balance mechanism of my ear and the other was my eyes, which were not working together, one focused in the distance and the other up close. That gave my brain mixed messages and it would just shut down and I would get dizzy and fall down (glasses were a simple fix). The inner ear problem was solved by rolling my head in circles to the left and to the right (trying to touch my shoulder) morning and night.

Comment from: jamsma, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

I was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago. My dizziness lasted all day for one week. Before that it would come and go but always lasted 24 hours. I do not get sick and function with it. When I get BPV I feel pressure in my ears and the back of my head. I have not found a treatment that works to make it better. I'd like to know more about it and find out if perhaps there might be something else going on that doctors have missed.

Must Read Articles Related to Benign Positional Vertigo

Labyrinthitis Labyrinthitis means an inflammation of the inner ear structure called the labyrinth. Sometimes the term labyrinthitis refers to other causes of inner ear proble...learn more >>
Meniere Disease
Meniere Disease Meniere's disease is a syndrome in which you experience episodes of spinning vertigo (sense of the room spinning), hearing loss, and tinnitus (ringing in the ea...learn more >>
Tinnitus (Ringing in the Ears)
Tinnitus Tinnitus (ringing in the ears) is a cause for hearing loss...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo:

Benign Positional Vertigo - Diagnosis and Treatment

How was your benign positional vertigo diagnosed and treated?

Benign Positional Vertigo - Exercises

What exercises helped with your benign positional vertigo?

Benign Paroxysmal Vertigo - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your benign paroxysmal vertigo?