Bicycle and Motorcycle Helmets (cont.)
Increasing Helmet Use
As with many other aspects of injury prevention, education is the key to long-term helmet use.
- Education should start at home and include the educational system. Parents should be role models and wear helmets. Parents should encourage their children's friends to wear helmets. Reward your children for wearing helmets.
- Doctors and community groups can help instill positive behaviors.
- In the case of motorcycles, most states have adopted laws requiring helmets for riders younger than 14 years of age, and many states have expanded the law to include riders of all ages.
- No state requires helmets for bicycle riders of all ages, although many states require them for children.
- Several cities also require bicycle helmets for all riders.
- As research into rider safety continues, efforts will continue to focus on educating people as to the benefits of helmet use.
- Young people are particularly influenced by early intervention and education and should reap the reward of fewer severe injuries. Parents should explain the importance of a helmet and then insist on their use.
For a list of helmet laws and age requirements, the Governors Highway Safety Association has an current list as of April 2012. http://www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo/laws/helmet_laws.html
Medically reviewed by Martin E Zipser, MD; American board of Surgery
Governors Highway Safety Association. Helmet Laws, April 2012.
American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. Helmet Safety.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 1/9/2015
Must Read Articles Related to Bicycle and Motorcycle Helmets
Bicycling is a common means of transportation as well as an increasingly popular source of recreation, exercise, and sport. With more than 100 million bicycle o...learn more >>
Dementia in Head Injury
Head injury occurs when an outside force hits the head hard enough to cause the brain to move violently within the skull. This force can cause shaking, twisting...learn more >>
Head injury is a general term used to describe any trauma to the head, and most specifically to the brain itself. Several types of head injuries may occur such ...learn more >>