Viewer Comments: IUD - Side Effects

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Intrauterine Devices (IUDs) for Birth Control:

IUD - Side Effects

What was your experience with IUD side effects?

Comment from: halesbales, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

I had the IUD put in at a bad time. It was done in the middle of my cycle, not during my period like my doctor advised. BIG mistake. I also should have taken ibuprofen beforehand. It inhibits the contractions you feel when the device is in and freaking out about it. Ugh. I could have saved myself a lot of pain. That being said, under my set of conditions, the procedure was extremely painful. I almost blacked out. Opening and measuring the cervix is a very painful process that you wish was over much faster than it is. The cramping after was pretty bad and I didn't even attempt to move for a half hour. Have someone drive you. I felt very shaky from the adrenaline for about three hours, but the cramps stopped after the first day. I had spotting for about a week after then started my period, which was heavier than usual and lasted about six days. A few months later and my period is down to five days. It's heavy the first three, but very light the rest. I also changed to the copper IUD in hopes the lack of hormone might aid in alleviating my depression and bipolar disorder. I think it has. I've been off meds for 3 months now and got a 3.9 this semester with no finals week breakdowns! Haha!

Must Read Articles Related to Birth Control Intrauterine Devices (IUDs)

Birth Control Barrier Methods
Birth Control Barrier Methods The practice of birth control is as old as human existence. Birth control barrier methods include the male condom, female condom, diaphragm, cervical cap and sp...learn more >>
Birth Control Behavioral Methods
Birth Control Behavioral Methods The practice of birth control is as old as human existence. Behavioral methods that don't use hormones such as birth control pills or mechanical devices such as...learn more >>
Birth Control Methods
Birth Control FAQs The practice of birth control is as old as human existence. Your choice of birth control method involves factors such as how easy it is to use, safety, risks, c...learn more >>

Birth Control Intrauterine Devices (IUDs) - Experience

Why did you choose an intrauterine device (IUD) as your form of birth control?

IUDs for Birth Control - Complications

What complications have you experienced using an IUD?