Viewer Comments: Birth Control Intrauterine Devices (IUDs) - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Intrauterine Devices (IUDs) for Birth Control:

Birth Control Intrauterine Devices (IUDs) - Experience

Why did you choose an intrauterine device (IUD) as your form of birth control?

Comment from: working mom, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I have tried a few different birth control methods, but the IUD is one of the best ones I've tried. I've had it for almost five years and I would advise all women to give it a try. I'm an on-the-go mom and I love it. Of course, the IUD does not protect against HIV, so, girls you should still use condoms!

Comment from: kiki, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I chose an IUD because I am breastfeeding so I cannot take anything with Estrogen and I don't like taking pills every day.

Comment from: CHRISTOLIE03, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I chose this type of birth control due to the fact that I had tried so many others and I didn't want to worry about birth control polls. This IUD thing has its drawbacks and now I'm going to have it taken out a year and some change after having it installed. This has been a horrible experience with all the cramping and bleeding.

Comment from: womenrock, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I have a history of clinical depression, which was exacerbated with both birth control pills and the shot. Condoms alone make me nervous because they slide around and I'm always too concerned with whether or not it's staying on to completely enjoy sex. The copper IUD is a purely physical barrier and doesn't trick your body into thinking it's pregnant for years at a time. The insertion went well (not NEARLY as painful as some message boards online lead you to believe); I was out of there in an hour, and I have no idea it's there until the monthly check for the strings. BEST BIRTH CONTROL EVER and absolutely no side effects.

Must Read Articles Related to Birth Control Intrauterine Devices (IUDs)

IUD - Side Effects

What was your experience with IUD side effects?

IUDs for Birth Control - Complications

What complications have you experienced using an IUD?