Birth Control Spermicides (cont.)
IN THIS ARTICLE
How Spermicides Work
Spermicides contain a chemical that kills sperm or makes them inactive so they cannot enter a woman’s cervix. Nonoxynol-9 is the active chemical in most spermicide products in the United States. The concentration of the chemical depends on the product.
Omnia M Samra, MD
Suzanne R Trupin, MD
Francisco Talavera, PharmD, PhD
Lee P Shulman, MD
Must Read Articles Related to Birth Control Spermicides
Women's Health Resources
- Your Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy
- What to Know Before You Get Pregnant
- Birth Control and Insurance FAQ
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?