Viewer Comments: Black Widow Spider Bite - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Black Widow Spider Bite:

Black Widow Spider Bite - Treatment

What was the treatment for your black widow spider bite?

Comment from: pianodoglady, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 08

Our dog was bitten by a black widow. She was in great pain when she came in the house with just a little swollen spot on her face but trembling all over. A couple of hours later she vomited, during the night she started convulsing, and while we were waiting for the vet in his parking lot at five the next morning (Monday), she passed away. I spray for ticks and spiders several times a year now.

Comment from: karla, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I was bitten while camping, after reaching my hand into a bucket that had toys in it. I killed the spider and bagged it to take it with me to the ER for an absolute positive ID. The initial reaction was severe pain, like being stuck with a hot poker. An hour later, I felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest because I was having severe muscle spasms. At the ER, I was treated with IV steroids, IV pain medicine, and IV Ativan for muscle spasms. The pain lasted about 3 days and gradually moved down my body to my legs, and then feet.

Comment from: Mrs. H., 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 23

My dog (a 9 year old pit bull) has been bitten by a black widow on the end of his snout. He is allergic to bee stings already and gets welts when I give him Benadryl. He is very ill with this bite. I give him IV fluids and liquid food with a syringe. He is on antibiotics and steroids. For two weeks it has been touch and go, but his eyes are shining a little more today. He is so weak he can't walk, though. Tomorrow is another day and I will keep helping him.

Comment from: southerngail, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I have been diagnosed with a brown recluse spider bite. I have been on antibiotics and I had to have the bite lanced and now every two days going to and from the doctor to have the packing changed.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 24

I am a 29 year old male in good health. I was bitten early yesterday morning on my elbow while cleaning out a storage unit. At the time I didn't even realize a bite had occurred, but do remember lifting some boxes and feeling cobwebs on my elbow. When I went to brush the cobwebs away, I was surprised by the spider instead of cobwebs. I did not feel any pain at all, and supposed the spider must not have bitten me. To my surprise, a couple of hours later my elbow started to hurt a bit, as if I had knocked it on something, perhaps. Then, around four hours later it began to swell steadily. By late afternoon the swelling was approaching the size of a large egg, visibly red, warm to the touch, was quite painful, and still continuing to swell steadily. Last night, 12 hours after the bite, my elbow had swollen to the size of a grapefruit and was so painful that even the touch of my clothing was almost unbearable. I became slightly nauseous and a little dizzy, lost almost all motion in my elbow, and developed a tremor in as well as difficulty moving the fingers of my left hand. Then, as I went to bed last night, I became chilled and could not get warm (though the heater was on and it was close to 80 degrees in my apartment) and began to shiver uncontrollably. Last night was almost entirely sleepless - kept waking in fits and starts and I was plagued by a sense of waking delirium. This morning the swelling and redness are reduced, and most movement and range of motion are back; but the pain is still quite intense (especially on contact). The muscles in my back are incredibly sore and cramped (I suspect from the shivering), and I am still quite chilled. It almost feels like the flu...with an incredibly painful wasp-sting on my elbow. Had I been alone last night, I probably would have gone to the emergency room as the dizziness, chills, and sense of disorientation were pretty intense. At this point, almost 36 hours after the bite, I think that it is manageable without urgent medical care, though definitely merits respect as a serious medical concern. I can certainly see how this would be life threatening to children and the elderly.

Comment from: Ellie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I was bitten on the bottom of the foot 10 days ago. The pain began within an hour and was so severe that I had to be taken to the hospital ER. There they treated me only with muscle relaxants and pain medication intravenously, and sent me home. The next days I was still quite sick, shaking, elevated blood pressure and sugar, and in severe pain. My primary care doctor put me immediately on antibiotics and Benadryl, noting the swelling on both feet and redness on the bitten leg. She said I had not been treated extensively enough by the ER. Now I have returned to normal after 10 days except for the amount of venom still present in my foot. This will take 2-3 weeks to clear, she said.

Comment from: Dana, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

The hubs now calls me Spider Woman. I've had (2) Brown Recluse bites and now a Black Widow bite. Hands down she packs a wallop. While yes I did have to seek treatment for the Brown Recluse bites, they were virtually painless (a heartbeat feeling at the bite area itself) and when days/weeks later the ulcer like sore continued to deepen did I boogie to the doctor. Within a short time on antibiotics the wound began healing/shrinking.

Must Read Articles Related to Black Widow Spider Bite

Black Widow and Brown Recluse Spider Bite
Wilderness: Black Widow and Recluse Spider Bite Black widow spider and brown recluse spider bites in the wilderness present a medical emergency. If bitten by either of these spiders, seek medical attention im...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Black Widow Spider Bite:

Black Widow Spider Bite - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience as a result of your black widow spider bite?