Viewer Comments: Black Widow Spider Bite - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Black Widow Spider Bite:

Black Widow Spider Bite - Treatment

What was the treatment for your black widow spider bite?

Comment from: Ellie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I was bitten on the bottom of the foot 10 days ago. The pain began within an hour and was so severe that I had to be taken to the hospital ER. There they treated me only with muscle relaxants and pain medication intravenously, and sent me home. The next days I was still quite sick, shaking, elevated blood pressure and sugar, and in severe pain. My primary care doctor put me immediately on antibiotics and Benadryl, noting the swelling on both feet and redness on the bitten leg. She said I had not been treated extensively enough by the ER. Now I have returned to normal after 10 days except for the amount of venom still present in my foot. This will take 2-3 weeks to clear, she said.

Comment from: Dana, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

The hubs now calls me Spider Woman. I've had (2) Brown Recluse bites and now a Black Widow bite. Hands down she packs a wallop. While yes I did have to seek treatment for the Brown Recluse bites, they were virtually painless (a heartbeat feeling at the bite area itself) and when days/weeks later the ulcer like sore continued to deepen did I boogie to the doctor. Within a short time on antibiotics the wound began healing/shrinking.

Comment from: jasrbrat, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

I'm 62. It hurt like the devil after about half an hour. Then, my bicep, elbow and shoulder began to cramp and spasm. After I started to feel like I was having a heart attack, coupled with the left arm pain, I went to the hospital. At one point I passed out from the pain. It lasted a LONG TIME and I was hospitalized for eight days. The bite caused a severe infection that we had to fight for nearly a month.

Comment from: kelleygirls, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

I started feeling this pain on my thigh and it hurt but i thought it would go away i just had some kind a rash within two days it grew triple its size the rash wrapped around my whole thigh i was having a fever and sweating so badly. I went to the hospital where they took me right in. I was in the hospital for three days and it was the worse pain ever!

Comment from: Chozeq, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 19

I was bitten on the hand and wasn't treated but it was like a like a bad case of arthritis that affected my hand, wrist, elbow, and shoulder for at least a month. Had a fellow employee bitten who went to hospital and didn't seem to do any better.

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Black Widow Spider Bite:

Black Widow Spider Bite - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience as a result of your black widow spider bite?