Viewer Comments: Bladder Cancer - Effective Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bladder Cancer:

Bladder Cancer - Effective Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your bladder cancer?

Comment from: Grateful, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 28

As a 76 year old male, I was diagnosed with bladder tumors at age 60. For the past 16 years, my urologist has been alternating between quarterly cystoscopies and surgeries to remove the tumors. A year ago, he was removing 8 or 9 tumors per surgery. It had reached a stage where he felt it was time to consider BCG treatment. Then, unexpectedly, 2 weeks after surgery, I had a heart attack, requiring a quad bypass. On leaving hospital, I was given a totally new regimen. Drop the daily multi-vitamins. Take (among other drugs), Crestor 20mg(actually Rosuvastatin) and enteric aspirin 325mg. In June this year, my next checkup revealed only 1 small spot. Today (October), my checkup revealed no trace of any spots or tumors, completely clear! Apparently aspirin and many satins have a beneficial anti-carcinogen quality. Hope this helps someone!

Comment from: Bob, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 27

The surgeon wanted to completely remove the bladder, prostate and lymph nodes. I declined, and the cancer was treated by transurethral resection, in October of 2009. After 6 weeks of recovery, follow-up treatment was 6 weeks of Cisplatin, and 35 radiation treatments, taken simultaneously. No further treatment was given. Exam by cystoscopy at 3-month intervals, and FISH and other urinalyses confirm no cancer cells present as of today, one year later. Bladder is functioning normally, and no after-effects of the bladder operation are evident. However, after-effects of the chemo and radiation include exhaustion, anemia and rheumatoid arthritis due mostly to disturbance of the immune system by the radiation. The arthritis was severe for at least two months, requiring Vicodin, for a while, but is receding, treated only by over-the-counter medications, (ibuprofen and acetaminophen). One year after the initial operation, I am getting some strength back, and am able to walk non-stop for about 2 miles, and sometimes more. Based on my experience, I would say that, if at all possible, ask your surgeon to try transurethral resection, rather than complete bladder removal.

Comment from: Muchacha, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

At age 50 I was diagnosed with bladder cancer. Blood in the urine was the symptom. After a cystoscope, there was a noninvasive bladder tumor. It looked like a cauliflower! Three days later I had it removed. Three months after, I had a recurrence and was operated on again to remove the start of another tumor. After about a year all was well when another tumor was starting and the doctor lasered it while I was in for the scope. It was a little painful but at least it didn't require an overnight. All has been good until 5 years after the first surgery. Now there are some dark spots that were seen at the time of the scope. I am awaiting a biopsy on 9/11 to see if it is cancerous.

Comment from: freddie, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 22

I was diagnosed with bladder cancer on September 21, 2010. My doctor recommended intravenous vitamin C, 25 grams twice a week. My tumor when it was scanned measured 3.2 x 2 centimeters on august 19th.This is about the size of a golf ball. On November 12th, I was being operated on, and I asked the surgeon what was the size of my tumor he replied “It's smaller than a penny.” I started the intravenous vitamin C on September 24th. So, it seems the vitamin c shrunk my tumor from golf ball size to less than a penny in 7 weeks.

Comment from: n. boldrey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I was diagnosed with T1 High Grade bladder cancer two years ago. After the surgery and required treatments, cancer cells were still found in my urine. About three months ago I started drinking water from an osmosis water treatment machine, and the last urine test indicated no more cancer cells, in my urine. Also, I have changed my diet. I eat less sugar, more vegetables and fruit and try to eat mostly organic foods. I have started eating more fish and stayed away from beef (for the most part).

Comment from: Lucky, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I was diagnosed in December 2010 at age 72 with Stage 1, hi-grade urothelial carcinoma of the bladder. After 2 transurethral resections, one was for a restaging; I began a 6-week course of BCG treatments and suffered no side effects. A month after the treatments my follow-up cysto revealed there was no sign of cancer. I will be going for cystos every 3 months for the next 2 years, if there is no recurrence during that time. I was one of the lucky ones since my cancer was not invasive and was found in time for treatment.

Comment from: jack, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 10

My father had a bladder surgery in which his whole bladder and some other parts were removed. We got this operation done from a reputed hospital and from a very reputed surgeon, but it all went wrong. In the surgery his bladder was removed and a new urinary track was made with help of intestine. After the operation the neo bladder collapsed and his both kidneys were affected. Now today after 2 years of surgery his on dialysis twice a week and his creatnine is 8. Both the kidneys have failed. I don't know what went wrong. At the hospital this was the topmost surgeon, but I think sometimes it's on God what you get. Sometimes I feel like killing that doctor.

Must Read Articles Related to Bladder Cancer

CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan Computerized tomography scans (CT scans) are an important diagnostic tool for a variety of medical conditions. The process uses X-rays and a computer to produce...learn more >>
Cystoscopy
Cystoscopy Cystoscopy is the use of a scope (cystoscope) to examine the bladder. This is done either to look at the bladder for abnormalities or to help with surgery being...learn more >>
Urinalysis
Urinalysis Urinalysis (UA) is a commonly ordered medical test to analyze urine. It may be used to diagnose urinary tract infections (UTIs) or kidney stones, to screen for ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bladder Cancer:

Bladder Cancer - Symptoms

What symptoms of your bladder cancer?

Bladder Cancer - Experience

Please describe your experience with bladder cancer.

Bladder Cancer - Staging

What stage was your bladder cancer when you were diagnosed?

Bladder Cancer - Prognosis

What is the prognosis for your bladder cancer?

Bladder Cancer - Causes

What caused your bladder cancer?

Bladder Cancer - Exams and Tests

Please describe your experience with exams and tests for bladder cancer.