Viewer Comments: Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT):

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms

For deep vein thrombosis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I am 29. My right leg, lower back and bottom area was hurting for awhile, and I had chalked it up to a roller derby injury. Last week, I mowed my lawn, and had to stop several times because of the pain in my leg. I took a shower later and when I got out, my right leg was purple and swollen. I went to the ER, and was admitted. I have clots from my groin to my knee. I spent 3 days in the hospital. I had to take injections in my tummy for 5 days, and now I am on Coumadin, which I guess I will be on for 6 months. My leg hurts still, especially in the groin area. Scary. I am really scared of the clot travelling to my lungs.

Comment from: jojo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I woke up on Monday morning with a swollen leg and severe pain in my back. I had been having back kinks and thought that it was working its way down and out. I finally broke down and went to a chiropractor. He said I had a bulging disc and a pinched nerve but that the leg and swelling were not related. As I was about to leave, he said if the leg turned purple to go to the emergency room. I thought it was already purple. Later that night, it got a lot darker and I could hardly walk, so I went to the ER. They did a Doppler and an ultrasound. I had a clot and it was extensive, almost the entire leg. I was hospitalized for two days and put on a Lovenox and Warfarin treatment. I went back to the chiropractor and asked if he saw something on the X-ray. He said no. The next day, he said that the clot could possibly be related to the back problem. No one seems to be very forthcoming with information. I'll ask him again what he meant when I go again on Friday. My leg is still swollen and uncomfortable, but my back is feeling better.

Comment from: sbascher, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 05

Very recently, my 20-year-old niece developed H1N1. As she worsened, seemingly with the flu, she ended up in the emergency room unable to walk. A nurse noticed swelling in a leg and urged the doctor to check for clots. She has two very large clots in her leg and her lung. She almost died. She may not survive as I type this. My brother died of a blood clot that moved from his leg to his heart. Doctors said that part of my niece's leg clot moved to her lung. So far, the clots cannot be removed. I fear my niece may die. For God's sake, something must be done about this horrible, silent, and mostly unknown disease.

Comment from: John J. Crocitti, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

Approximately 7 weeks ago, I started feeling pain around my knee. Sometimes the area where the calf muscle connected to the back of the knee hurt and felt tight. Other times, the front of my knee hurt and felt weak to the point that I feared it would collapse. Often, I could not extend the knee and felt that it was locked in place. I never suspected a blood clot in my calf muscle until one week ago when I saw that my ankle was swollen. A couple days later, my entire lower leg appeared swollen. When I finally saw a doctor 2 days ago, they diagnosed a clot. I still feel that my knee has a problem despite x-rays that show nothing wrong. I still cannot put full weight on the knee, nor can I pivot the leg. Also, I noticed that long flights are considered a cause of clots because of the prolonged sitting. I spend much time working on the computer.

Comment from: Lucky1, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

Motrin and a generic, rested the leg, applied alternating heat and cold and used a wrap. The leg felt better and at least I could walk, but I called my doctor to make certain that I had not done major damage by exercising. I believe the exercising threw everyone off. I felt much better. I even started to cancel my appointment. My doctor examined me and ordered an ultrasound just to be safe. I was surprised when it turned out to be a blood clot. The thought of clot had crossed my mind briefly when I first experienced the unusual pain, but I did not know the symptoms. I am presently undergoing outpatient treatment. I am sharing my experience because the coincidence of a possible sports injury may have masked the symptoms that should have been a clue. As far as possible cause, the only category that I fall into is that I had been sitting for long periods of time while working on a project, but I have sat for long periods like that before.

Comment from: janna, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I have DVT and I have a red ring around my ankle.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

My left leg was swollen for about two years and several doctors - two orthopedic and three MDs - told me it was "fluid" and only one suggested any remedy and that was Dyazide. I had knee surgery last winter in FL and a total knee replacement on the left leg in August 2009 in MI. Six weeks of therapy and I could barely lift my left leg off the floor and I struggled to get up and out of a chair. I thought it just took more time for a total recovery. In November my regular MD was out of the office at the time of my routine lab work so I saw an associate. She immediately noticed my swollen leg and sent me to imaging for a Doppler. I went from there to the hospital with four DVT'S in the groin area. Very extensive as my doctor said. Why did no other doctor suggest a Doppler? I never surmised blood clots when I had terrible "charley horses" in the back of my leg, the swelling, or the warmth. I think we have to be our own doctor!! Thank God that my regular doctor was gone and I had one who ordered the Doppler. I am now on Coumadin for six months and can lift my leg "knee high", and get out of a chair with no problem!

Must Read Articles Related to Blood Clot in the Legs

Blood Clots
Blood Clots Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Leg Pain
Leg Pain There are a variety of causes of leg pain. Some of the common causes include fractures, strains, sprains, bleeding, diseases such as gout, peripheral artery dis...learn more >>
Pulmonary Embolism
Pulmonary Embolism A pulmonary embolism (PE) is a blood clot in the lung. The clot typically comes from other areas of the body and travels to the lung, where it becomes lodged. P...learn more >>

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your deep vein thrombosis?