Viewer Comments: Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT):

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms

For deep vein thrombosis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

I experienced leg pain and swelling around my left knee which I ignored for several days. I than experienced groin pain and my foot became very cold. And along with the swelling I had tenderness and redness of the leg. this was all in a matter of 1 week. I panicked went straight to ER and was examined by two md's, had a doppler done on the leg, 2 clots were found, one in the groin area and one smaller one behind my knee, I was then immediately hooked up to IV heperin and was told I was not too get out of bed for the fear of the moving. One clot was found in the groin area and because of the large size of it, it had actually blocked a valve in the groin area that resulted in the the blockage of flow of blood thru my leg. they determined that the smaller clot behind my knee had broken from the larger one that was in the groin area. I spent almost 2 weeks laid up in the hospital with an IV blood thinner. I had to be scanned/x rayed from head to toe before I could be released from hospital. This was 5 years ago, I still depend on compression stockings to help with swelling and discomfort of the leg and I also take a low dose of aspirin daily.

Comment from: DVT24, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I developed at DVT after surgery to remove a uterine fibroid, which was severely hemorrhaging. I was given high doses of estrogen to slow the bleeding down in preparation for surgery and the hospital put me on bed rest due to constant fainting episodes. After surgery, they put me in those wraps that squeeze your calves and help prevent blood clots. The next day I was instructed to walk around and that's when I noticed my knees were twice their normal size. I also had a pain similar to a muscle cramp whenever I walked or moved my calf muscle. Within a few hours I was given an ultrasound which showed a clot in my calf. I was started on a bridge therapy of Lovenox injections twice daily and Coumadin. It took 18 days of the abdominal injections for my INR to reach therapeutic levels. That was over three months ago and my doctor expects my therapy to continue anther three months. I continue to have occasional aches in the effected leg, in addition to a feeling of tightness.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I am 29. My right leg, lower back and bottom area was hurting for awhile, and I had chalked it up to a roller derby injury. Last week, I mowed my lawn, and had to stop several times because of the pain in my leg. I took a shower later and when I got out, my right leg was purple and swollen. I went to the ER, and was admitted. I have clots from my groin to my knee. I spent 3 days in the hospital. I had to take injections in my tummy for 5 days, and now I am on Coumadin, which I guess I will be on for 6 months. My leg hurts still, especially in the groin area. Scary. I am really scared of the clot travelling to my lungs.

Comment from: jojo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I woke up on Monday morning with a swollen leg and severe pain in my back. I had been having back kinks and thought that it was working its way down and out. I finally broke down and went to a chiropractor. He said I had a bulging disc and a pinched nerve but that the leg and swelling were not related. As I was about to leave, he said if the leg turned purple to go to the emergency room. I thought it was already purple. Later that night, it got a lot darker and I could hardly walk, so I went to the ER. They did a Doppler and an ultrasound. I had a clot and it was extensive, almost the entire leg. I was hospitalized for two days and put on a Lovenox and Warfarin treatment. I went back to the chiropractor and asked if he saw something on the X-ray. He said no. The next day, he said that the clot could possibly be related to the back problem. No one seems to be very forthcoming with information. I'll ask him again what he meant when I go again on Friday. My leg is still swollen and uncomfortable, but my back is feeling better.

Comment from: sbascher, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 05

Very recently, my 20-year-old niece developed H1N1. As she worsened, seemingly with the flu, she ended up in the emergency room unable to walk. A nurse noticed swelling in a leg and urged the doctor to check for clots. She has two very large clots in her leg and her lung. She almost died. She may not survive as I type this. My brother died of a blood clot that moved from his leg to his heart. Doctors said that part of my niece's leg clot moved to her lung. So far, the clots cannot be removed. I fear my niece may die. For God's sake, something must be done about this horrible, silent, and mostly unknown disease.

Comment from: John J. Crocitti, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

Approximately 7 weeks ago, I started feeling pain around my knee. Sometimes the area where the calf muscle connected to the back of the knee hurt and felt tight. Other times, the front of my knee hurt and felt weak to the point that I feared it would collapse. Often, I could not extend the knee and felt that it was locked in place. I never suspected a blood clot in my calf muscle until one week ago when I saw that my ankle was swollen. A couple days later, my entire lower leg appeared swollen. When I finally saw a doctor 2 days ago, they diagnosed a clot. I still feel that my knee has a problem despite x-rays that show nothing wrong. I still cannot put full weight on the knee, nor can I pivot the leg. Also, I noticed that long flights are considered a cause of clots because of the prolonged sitting. I spend much time working on the computer.

Must Read Articles Related to Blood Clot in the Legs

Blood Clots
Blood Clots Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Leg Pain
Leg Pain There are a variety of causes of leg pain. Some of the common causes include fractures, strains, sprains, bleeding, diseases such as gout, peripheral artery dis...learn more >>
Pulmonary Embolism
Pulmonary Embolism A pulmonary embolism (PE) is a blood clot in the lung. The clot typically comes from other areas of the body and travels to the lung, where it becomes lodged. P...learn more >>

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Diagnosis

What kind of Diagnosis did you have for deep vein thrombosis (DVT)?

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Causes

Do you know what caused your deep vein thrombosis (DVT)?

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your deep vein thrombosis?

DVT - Experience

Please share your experience with deep vein thrombosis (DVT).

DVT - Medications

What medications were effective in treating DVT?

DVT - Surgery

Please share your experience with DVT surgery.

Atrial Fibrillation Slideshow