Viewer Comments: Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT):

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms

For deep vein thrombosis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Lucky1, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

Motrin and a generic, rested the leg, applied alternating heat and cold and used a wrap. The leg felt better and at least I could walk, but I called my doctor to make certain that I had not done major damage by exercising. I believe the exercising threw everyone off. I felt much better. I even started to cancel my appointment. My doctor examined me and ordered an ultrasound just to be safe. I was surprised when it turned out to be a blood clot. The thought of clot had crossed my mind briefly when I first experienced the unusual pain, but I did not know the symptoms. I am presently undergoing outpatient treatment. I am sharing my experience because the coincidence of a possible sports injury may have masked the symptoms that should have been a clue. As far as possible cause, the only category that I fall into is that I had been sitting for long periods of time while working on a project, but I have sat for long periods like that before.

Comment from: Helga, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

My doctor has ordered a blood test for my knee replacement pain, which is now 9 months old. It is not healing.

Comment from: Maggie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I have a problem I believe it has to do with my varicose veins. At night it feels like my bed is rippling at the bottom left side to right side or it feels like something is walking across the bottom of my bed. When it first happened I thought maybe my small dog had passed. Was walking on my bed sometimes is stronger than others. It wakes me up and I can still feel it when I'm awake. When I had my varicose veins done, I tried to talk to the doctor but he acted like I am nuts. This is driving me nuts.

Comment from: janna, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I have DVT and I have a red ring around my ankle.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

My left leg was swollen for about two years and several doctors - two orthopedic and three MDs - told me it was "fluid" and only one suggested any remedy and that was Dyazide. I had knee surgery last winter in FL and a total knee replacement on the left leg in August 2009 in MI. Six weeks of therapy and I could barely lift my left leg off the floor and I struggled to get up and out of a chair. I thought it just took more time for a total recovery. In November my regular MD was out of the office at the time of my routine lab work so I saw an associate. She immediately noticed my swollen leg and sent me to imaging for a Doppler. I went from there to the hospital with four DVT'S in the groin area. Very extensive as my doctor said. Why did no other doctor suggest a Doppler? I never surmised blood clots when I had terrible "charley horses" in the back of my leg, the swelling, or the warmth. I think we have to be our own doctor!! Thank God that my regular doctor was gone and I had one who ordered the Doppler. I am now on Coumadin for six months and can lift my leg "knee high", and get out of a chair with no problem!

Comment from: hurting, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

i have a knot in the inside of my thigh and a burning sensation going across my leg to the other side.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

Before I was diagnosed with deep vein thrombosis, I had what looked like purple scratches on my skin.

Comment from: carol, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I would like to warn people out there of the danger of DVT. I lost my husband 11 years ago, because a doctor told my husband, he had a spot of pneumonia in his left lung and to take it easy for a couple of days. On his way to the doctor, he stopped at Walmart to get cough syrup, and passed out in the store. He was rushed to the emergency room and DIED within one hour. He was only 43 years old at the time. After the autopsy, a blood clot was found to have broken loose from his left leg and that was the SPOT the doctor had seen two days before.

Comment from: Myraknits, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

When I was having problems with DVT, I felt as if I had a very deep cramp in the back of my left leg that was only helped by having wet heat applied. The pain returned as soon as I started to walk again.

Must Read Articles Related to Blood Clot in the Legs

Blood Clots
Blood Clots Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Leg Pain
Leg Pain There are a variety of causes of leg pain. Some of the common causes include fractures, strains, sprains, bleeding, diseases such as gout, peripheral artery dis...learn more >>
Pulmonary Embolism
Pulmonary Embolism A pulmonary embolism (PE) is a blood clot in the lung. The clot typically comes from other areas of the body and travels to the lung, where it becomes lodged. P...learn more >>

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Diagnosis

What kind of Diagnosis did you have for deep vein thrombosis (DVT)?

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Causes

Do you know what caused your deep vein thrombosis (DVT)?

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your deep vein thrombosis?

DVT - Experience

Please share your experience with deep vein thrombosis (DVT).

DVT - Medications

What medications were effective in treating DVT?

DVT - Surgery

Please share your experience with DVT surgery.

Atrial Fibrillation Slideshow