Viewer Comments: Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about DVT (Blood Clot in the Leg, Deep Vein Thrombosis):

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms

For deep vein thrombosis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: sbascher, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 05

Very recently, my 20-year-old niece developed H1N1. As she worsened, seemingly with the flu, she ended up in the emergency room unable to walk. A nurse noticed swelling in a leg and urged the doctor to check for clots. She has two very large clots in her leg and her lung. She almost died. She may not survive as I type this. My brother died of a blood clot that moved from his leg to his heart. Doctors said that part of my niece's leg clot moved to her lung. So far, the clots cannot be removed. I fear my niece may die. For God's sake, something must be done about this horrible, silent, and mostly unknown disease.

Comment from: John J. Crocitti, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

Approximately 7 weeks ago, I started feeling pain around my knee. Sometimes the area where the calf muscle connected to the back of the knee hurt and felt tight. Other times, the front of my knee hurt and felt weak to the point that I feared it would collapse. Often, I could not extend the knee and felt that it was locked in place. I never suspected a blood clot in my calf muscle until one week ago when I saw that my ankle was swollen. A couple days later, my entire lower leg appeared swollen. When I finally saw a doctor 2 days ago, they diagnosed a clot. I still feel that my knee has a problem despite x-rays that show nothing wrong. I still cannot put full weight on the knee, nor can I pivot the leg. Also, I noticed that long flights are considered a cause of clots because of the prolonged sitting. I spend much time working on the computer.

Comment from: Lucky1, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

Motrin and a generic, rested the leg, applied alternating heat and cold and used a wrap. The leg felt better and at least I could walk, but I called my doctor to make certain that I had not done major damage by exercising. I believe the exercising threw everyone off. I felt much better. I even started to cancel my appointment. My doctor examined me and ordered an ultrasound just to be safe. I was surprised when it turned out to be a blood clot. The thought of clot had crossed my mind briefly when I first experienced the unusual pain, but I did not know the symptoms. I am presently undergoing outpatient treatment. I am sharing my experience because the coincidence of a possible sports injury may have masked the symptoms that should have been a clue. As far as possible cause, the only category that I fall into is that I had been sitting for long periods of time while working on a project, but I have sat for long periods like that before.

Comment from: Helga, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

My doctor has ordered a blood test for my knee replacement pain, which is now 9 months old. It is not healing.

Comment from: Maggie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I have a problem I believe it has to do with my varicose veins. At night it feels like my bed is rippling at the bottom left side to right side or it feels like something is walking across the bottom of my bed. When it first happened I thought maybe my small dog had passed. Was walking on my bed sometimes is stronger than others. It wakes me up and I can still feel it when I'm awake. When I had my varicose veins done, I tried to talk to the doctor but he acted like I am nuts. This is driving me nuts.

Comment from: janna, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I have DVT and I have a red ring around my ankle.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

My left leg was swollen for about two years and several doctors - two orthopedic and three MDs - told me it was "fluid" and only one suggested any remedy and that was Dyazide. I had knee surgery last winter in FL and a total knee replacement on the left leg in August 2009 in MI. Six weeks of therapy and I could barely lift my left leg off the floor and I struggled to get up and out of a chair. I thought it just took more time for a total recovery. In November my regular MD was out of the office at the time of my routine lab work so I saw an associate. She immediately noticed my swollen leg and sent me to imaging for a Doppler. I went from there to the hospital with four DVT'S in the groin area. Very extensive as my doctor said. Why did no other doctor suggest a Doppler? I never surmised blood clots when I had terrible "charley horses" in the back of my leg, the swelling, or the warmth. I think we have to be our own doctor!! Thank God that my regular doctor was gone and I had one who ordered the Doppler. I am now on Coumadin for six months and can lift my leg "knee high", and get out of a chair with no problem!

Comment from: hurting, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

i have a knot in the inside of my thigh and a burning sensation going across my leg to the other side.

Must Read Articles Related to Blood Clot in the Legs

Blood Clots
Blood Clots Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Hematoma
Hematoma A hematoma is a collection of blood outside a blood vessel usually caused by injury to the blood vessel wall. Causes of hematoma include learn more >>
Leg Pain
Leg Pain There are a variety of causes of leg pain. Some ...learn more >>

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your deep vein thrombosis?

DVT - Experience

Please share your experience with deep vein thrombosis (DVT).

DVT - Medications

What medications were effective in treating DVT?

DVT - Surgery

Please share your experience with DVT surgery.

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Diagnosis

What kind of Diagnosis did you have for deep vein thrombosis (DVT)?

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Causes

Do you know what caused your deep vein thrombosis (DVT)?

Atrial Fibrillation Slideshow