Viewer Comments: Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT):

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms

For deep vein thrombosis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: hurting, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

i have a knot in the inside of my thigh and a burning sensation going across my leg to the other side.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

Before I was diagnosed with deep vein thrombosis, I had what looked like purple scratches on my skin.

Comment from: carol, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I would like to warn people out there of the danger of DVT. I lost my husband 11 years ago, because a doctor told my husband, he had a spot of pneumonia in his left lung and to take it easy for a couple of days. On his way to the doctor, he stopped at Walmart to get cough syrup, and passed out in the store. He was rushed to the emergency room and DIED within one hour. He was only 43 years old at the time. After the autopsy, a blood clot was found to have broken loose from his left leg and that was the SPOT the doctor had seen two days before.

Comment from: Myraknits, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

When I was having problems with DVT, I felt as if I had a very deep cramp in the back of my left leg that was only helped by having wet heat applied. The pain returned as soon as I started to walk again.

Comment from: maggie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I had surgery on my right foot. I had to visit my doctor once per week after that, and I had to wear an orthopedic boot and crutches. Two weeks later, my doctor suggested to let go of the crutches, and I did, I started walking only with my boot, and the day before my third visit to the doctor, as I went to get out of bed in the morning, I put on my boot and as I step on my foot to start walking, I felt this sharp pain shooting from my heel up to the back of my knee. It really hurt, but I thought it was just sore because I just started walking without my crutches, so I went ahead and managed to get out of bed and start walking - with my crutches again, to ease the pain. When I saw my doctor the next day, I mentioned this to him and he checked my leg. It wasn't even swollen; it was just sore, from my heel to the back of my knee. The doctor saw the possibility of a clot and sent me right away to the emergency room to have an ultrasound, which ended up revealing a blood clot on my leg.

Comment from: Rona Jean, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

For me, deep vein thrombosis (DVT) manifested itself as pain on the inside of the leg, just below the knee. The pain also travels upward, something like halfway up the thigh. There is also very uncomfortable throbbing at times.

Comment from: justsara, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I awoke in the middle of the night with blinding pain in my left hip which radiated down my leg. When I got out of bed to go to the restroom, the muscles in my calf contracted so hard that I could not extend my leg out in front of me to walk and almost fell down. The pain was excruciating! Being a healthy person, I assumed it was some sort of temporary fluke thing and would subside by morning. But, upon awakening, my entire leg from hip to toe had blown up more than 5 times its normal size. Still thinking it was a fluke, I elevated it and waited for the swelling to go down. Luckily, my mother visited and insisted I go to the doctor. The first doctor did not touch me at all - diagnosed it as DVT - and sent me on to the emergency room.

Comment from: bdm47154, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I had severe leg pain, and my foot went numb. I did not have pain in the area where the clot was found. I went to the ER because I knew something was wrong, but never thought blood clot!

Comment from: micheller, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I have arthritis in my joints. One day my right knee started hurting really badly behind the knee and I thought it was just my knee acting up because of the change in the weather. So I went and spent about $60.00 on patches, and braces for my knee. In spite of all my efforts to get some relief, it seemed to get worse, as days went by it eventually got to where I couldn't walk on it at all. That was when I decided to go to the doctor. They drew my blood and said that some of my levels were high. So then they did a Doppler ultrasound of my whole right leg and found that all three main veins in my leg were clotted. Then they did a CT scan of my lungs and found that I had both lungs with embolisms in them. They had me transferred to a larger hospital to an intensive care unit (ICU). I was there for two days and then they found out that my insurance wouldn't cover a hospital stay and I was sent home not knowing if I was going to be OK or not. Now I have to give myself shots everyday and pray for the best. That is my personal experience with my DVT AND PULMINARY EMBOLISMS.

Must Read Articles Related to Blood Clot in the Legs

Blood Clots
Blood Clots Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Leg Pain
Leg Pain There are a variety of causes of leg pain. Some of the common causes include fractures, strains, sprains, bleeding, diseases such as gout, peripheral artery dis...learn more >>
Pulmonary Embolism
Pulmonary Embolism A pulmonary embolism (PE) is a blood clot in the lung. It usually comes from smaller vessels in the leg, pelvis, arms, or heart. When a clot forms in the ...learn more >>

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your deep vein thrombosis?

From WebMD