Viewer Comments: Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT):

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms

For deep vein thrombosis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: MVB, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I had surgery on my ankle. After surgery I had a severe bruise 3" above the incision that wrapped around the calf muscle. When I came out of surgery the ankle didn't hurt - it was my calf muscle that was extremely painful - it was so bad that they gave me a block for the pain. The pain subsided. Almost two weeks later, I had recurring severe pain in my calf when I would use my crutches (yet was not bearing weight on that leg). My foot would turn pink/purple when it was not elevated (they said that was 'normal'). I started physical therapy and the pain increased so I actually thought the pain was due to 'over doing it' in physical therapy (it was like a bad muscle cramp that would come and go). Other than that, I HAD NO OTHER 'USUAL' or 'COMMON' SYMPTOMS. A friend of mine told me to not take chances so I called my surgeon and suggested that this pain was quite severe for a muscle cramp.....after the scans, they discovered that I had one clot at the base of my calf and one clot behind the knee. I was hospitalized and am undergoing treatment at home. DO NOT WAIT - if you have the slightest of symptoms, get tested TODAY. I was told that most people do not have the "usual" or "common" symptoms. I was also told that this was uncommon for my age and activity level.... don't take 'no' for an answer. I thought it was a simple leg cramp and was proven wrong. I'm glad I had it checked out and caught it when I did.

Comment from: telboy25, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 14

I'm 25 and have had DVT in both legs the symptoms were massive swelling to the leg mostly below the knee, my leg swell so much the skin started to flake and was very brittle requiring lots of ointment to keep it from splitting. Around the same time the swelling started I was met with very intense pain from deep within my leg that even the strongest painkillers failed to have an effect. I am not exaggerating when I say it's the most painful experience in my life. I've broken my wrist and forearm, toothache and migraines don't come close and it took about 6 weeks of Fragmin injections then onto oral anticoagulants before it started to get better. Then 9 months later it all started in the other leg. I was in hospital for 2 weeks as the swelling was so severe.

Comment from: LadyAshley, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I am 23 years old, my case is rare because my first blood clot was at 18 years old. I felt tingling and swelling in my leg for a couple of days I didn't know what it was until when I was short of breath. I panicked and went to the ER. There was a clot in my leg and it traveled to my lungs they hooked me up to heparin for 2 weeks in the hospital until my PTT levels were back to normal. When I became pregnant in 2008 I was placed on Lovenox for that pregnancy and nothing thereafter. My latest episode landed me in the hospital this week. I felt pain in the same leg that the blood clot was in originally and when I got to the hospital surely there was a clot. I only stayed for one day and I am now released on Lovenox for the rest of my life.

Comment from: Luke, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 30

I woke up with a very hard, warm, swollen calf but no pain. I went to work, then to a family doctor after 4-5 hours working, which is my normal day as I am semi- retired. Then my doctor sent me to get a sonogram on my leg and was found to have a large deep blood clot, for which they immediately admitted me for 4 days, using Heparin, then Warfarin and was sent home and could do whatever I felt like doing. It's now 7 months later and I still have an improved clot and I am still on warfarin, and I am still working also. An IVC filter is probably next in a few days to keep any clot from going to my lungs or heart. Hope this helps someone.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I pulled my calf muscle playing basketball. I went to the ER, had an x-ray. I was told no broken bones and to continue activities as normal. Two weeks later I had the same pain, difficulty walking and sleeping. My family doctor told me to elevate and rest. I decided to go back to the ER and am glad I did because I had a blood clot. They immediately started me on medication to thin the blood. I am glad I did not ignore my instincts.

Comment from: calibra, 25-34 Male Published: October 05

I have had three blood clots. The first one was when I was 15. Now I am 27 and I still suffer from swelling. It aches a lot in the night because I'm on my feet all day. I don't think the swelling will ever stop.

Must Read Articles Related to Blood Clot in the Legs

Blood Clots
Blood Clots Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Leg Pain
Leg Pain There are a variety of causes of leg pain. Some of the common causes include fractures, strains, sprains, bleeding, diseases such as gout, peripheral artery dis...learn more >>
Pulmonary Embolism
Pulmonary Embolism A pulmonary embolism (PE) is a blood clot in the lung. It usually comes from smaller vessels in the leg, pelvis, arms, or heart. When a clot forms in the ...learn more >>

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your deep vein thrombosis?