Viewer Comments: Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT):

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms

For deep vein thrombosis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: LadyAshley, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I am 23 years old, my case is rare because my first blood clot was at 18 years old. I felt tingling and swelling in my leg for a couple of days I didn't know what it was until when I was short of breath. I panicked and went to the ER. There was a clot in my leg and it traveled to my lungs they hooked me up to heparin for 2 weeks in the hospital until my PTT levels were back to normal. When I became pregnant in 2008 I was placed on Lovenox for that pregnancy and nothing thereafter. My latest episode landed me in the hospital this week. I felt pain in the same leg that the blood clot was in originally and when I got to the hospital surely there was a clot. I only stayed for one day and I am now released on Lovenox for the rest of my life.

Comment from: Luke, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 30

I woke up with a very hard, warm, swollen calf but no pain. I went to work, then to a family doctor after 4-5 hours working, which is my normal day as I am semi- retired. Then my doctor sent me to get a sonogram on my leg and was found to have a large deep blood clot, for which they immediately admitted me for 4 days, using Heparin, then Warfarin and was sent home and could do whatever I felt like doing. It's now 7 months later and I still have an improved clot and I am still on warfarin, and I am still working also. An IVC filter is probably next in a few days to keep any clot from going to my lungs or heart. Hope this helps someone.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I pulled my calf muscle playing basketball. I went to the ER, had an x-ray. I was told no broken bones and to continue activities as normal. Two weeks later I had the same pain, difficulty walking and sleeping. My family doctor told me to elevate and rest. I decided to go back to the ER and am glad I did because I had a blood clot. They immediately started me on medication to thin the blood. I am glad I did not ignore my instincts.

Comment from: calibra, 25-34 Male Published: October 05

I have had three blood clots. The first one was when I was 15. Now I am 27 and I still suffer from swelling. It aches a lot in the night because I'm on my feet all day. I don't think the swelling will ever stop.

Must Read Articles Related to Blood Clot in the Legs

Blood Clots
Blood Clots Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Leg Pain
Leg Pain There are a variety of causes of leg pain. Some ...learn more >>
Pulmonary Embolism
Pulmonary Embolism A pulmonary embolism (PE) is a blood clot in the lung. The clot typically comes from other areas of the body and travels to the lung, where it becomes lodged. P...learn more >>

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Diagnosis

What kind of Diagnosis did you have for deep vein thrombosis (DVT)?

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Causes

Do you know what caused your deep vein thrombosis (DVT)?

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your deep vein thrombosis?

DVT - Experience

Please share your experience with deep vein thrombosis (DVT).

DVT - Medications

What medications were effective in treating DVT?

DVT - Surgery

Please share your experience with DVT surgery.

Atrial Fibrillation Slideshow