Viewer Comments: Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT):

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms

For deep vein thrombosis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: momof2, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I thought I had pulled a muscle in the calf of my left leg. I went to the doctor, and he sent me home and told me to exercise, give it three weeks, and it should be fine. This was on a Wednesday. By that Saturday, I could not even handle weight on my left foot at all. I went to the emergency room and found out I had a deep vein thrombosis that was from above my left knee that went all the way to my ankle. I was admitted and immediately started on Lovenox shots and Warfarin. I am home and doing better. Thank goodness I listened to my body and not the doctor.

Comment from: Evelyn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

A week after having an angioplasty, my right leg began to show signs of swelling on a Friday night. By Monday, I called my cardiologist and he said to go immediately to the emergency room. I did and spent the next 10 hours there. They ran an ultrasound and some other test. I saw a doctor and then was sent home, saying they couldn't find anything even though my leg was more than two inches larger than the other. I went back to the cardiologist the next day. He was shocked at the size of my leg and sent me to a vascular doctor whom I did not see until two days later. They found a deep vein thrombosis in my groin area immediately. They put me in the hospital for five days on IV heparin, followed by six months on Coumadin. I have had another angioplasty since then, and this time I didn't have a blood clot. Thank God!

Comment from: Etner101, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: September 17

Once upon a time, I was going to school like normal as always, and all of a sudden I started having problems walking, breathing, etc. This was in a large time span of about a week, and it got to the point where we went to the emergency room. After X-rays and ultrasounds, the doctor came in and said "we found DVTs in his legs, and we are flying him to Johns Hopkins". I said, "I don't have time for this, I am only 13 years old this can't be happening!" I have spent my Easter as well as a good 2 months in the hospital as they were trying to put me on warfarin. This is caused because I have factor V leiden, and an absent IVC. Is it possible to consume more protein C and S with factor V? I wonder, again I am only 13 years old and this is only for like 60 year olds. I understand how rare this is, almost impossible.

I am a 50-year-old woman and have had four episodes of deep vein thrombosis. The first one occurred after my third childbirth. Each time the site is my right leg, probably damaged during the first clot. There is no known factor identified, and I have been on warfarin therapy since the third episode. The first three episodes were accompanied by the usual swelling, heat, discoloration of the leg before I was diagnosed with DVT. But this last time, the clot was caught very early, before the vein was blocked completely. I have noticed that I know something is wrong with circulation in my leg way before these more obvious symptoms begin. These include a feeling of tiredness in the leg, especially when beginning exercise, but then feeling better as exercise increases the circulation. The veins in my foot and ankle stand out more. There is a mild but constant internal ache in the leg and an odd “plugged” feeling. Sometimes the vein actually feels irritated to me, and perhaps more full to the touch. My affected leg is always slightly larger, and slightly a different color than the other, due to poorer circulation, but the color begins to change subtly darker, and it also feels colder than the other foot when this problem is beginning. My right foot will often feel tingly when I first stand on it in the morning, in spite of exercising foot and ankle before getting up. I sometimes have a hard time convincing my physician that I can feel when things are happening inside the vein, but with experience, I am clearer and clearer that I can. He sent me for an ultrasound of my leg this time, even though he said he did not suspect a clot. The ultrasound showed a "web" or strings of clot just beginning to form. My hospital time and rehab has been much quicker.

I experienced leg pain and swelling around my left knee which I ignored for several days. I than experienced groin pain and my foot became very cold. And along with the swelling I had tenderness and redness of the leg. this was all in a matter of 1 week. I panicked went straight to ER and was examined by two md's, had a doppler done on the leg, 2 clots were found, one in the groin area and one smaller one behind my knee, I was then immediately hooked up to IV heperin and was told I was not too get out of bed for the fear of the moving. One clot was found in the groin area and because of the large size of it, it had actually blocked a valve in the groin area that resulted in the the blockage of flow of blood thru my leg. they determined that the smaller clot behind my knee had broken from the larger one that was in the groin area. I spent almost 2 weeks laid up in the hospital with an IV blood thinner. I had to be scanned/x rayed from head to toe before I could be released from hospital. This was 5 years ago, I still depend on compression stockings to help with swelling and discomfort of the leg and I also take a low dose of aspirin daily.

Comment from: DVT24, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I developed at DVT after surgery to remove a uterine fibroid, which was severely hemorrhaging. I was given high doses of estrogen to slow the bleeding down in preparation for surgery and the hospital put me on bed rest due to constant fainting episodes. After surgery, they put me in those wraps that squeeze your calves and help prevent blood clots. The next day I was instructed to walk around and that's when I noticed my knees were twice their normal size. I also had a pain similar to a muscle cramp whenever I walked or moved my calf muscle. Within a few hours I was given an ultrasound which showed a clot in my calf. I was started on a bridge therapy of Lovenox injections twice daily and Coumadin. It took 18 days of the abdominal injections for my INR to reach therapeutic levels. That was over three months ago and my doctor expects my therapy to continue anther three months. I continue to have occasional aches in the effected leg, in addition to a feeling of tightness.

Must Read Articles Related to Blood Clot in the Legs

Blood Clots
Blood Clots Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Leg Pain
Leg Pain There are a variety of causes of leg pain. Some of the common causes include fractures, strains, sprains, bleeding, diseases such as gout, peripheral artery dis...learn more >>
Pulmonary Embolism
Pulmonary Embolism A pulmonary embolism (PE) is a blood clot in the lung. It usually comes from smaller vessels in the leg, pelvis, arms, or heart. When a clot forms in the ...learn more >>

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your deep vein thrombosis?