Viewer Comments: Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT):

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms

For deep vein thrombosis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

...
Comment from: Shirley, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

While I was taking chemotherapy for breast cancer, I awakened one morning with severe swelling in my right leg. I called my oncologist and he ordered a Doppler and a CT scan. Both tests showed many blood clots. I was prescribed Xarelto for deep vein thrombosis and told to go home and elevate my leg and wrap it in hot, wet towels. I was referred to a vascular surgeon who performed a venogram. The surgeon told me that I had a totally blocked inferior vena cava, and there was nothing he could do for me. That was 3 months ago, and my leg is still swollen, sore, itchy, red, etc. I am very disheartened that I may have to live the rest of my life in this condition. I have a problem believing that nothing can be done to alleviate my condition. I hope to get another opinion.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

My experience with deep vein thrombosis began with a foot and ankle injury. My ankle, my foot and the bottom half of my leg swelled every day. My toes went purple, my foot went ice cold, numb and had a burning sensation. Cramping in my leg and a constant deep pain was also present. I was on T3s which helped a little, but the side effects like having a problem going to the bathroom was a big issue. A gentle overnight Ex-Lax solved that problem. Later it was discovered, and I'm talking three weeks, that I had a huge clot in the main artery in the groin of my right leg. I am now on warfarin for the next six months to prevent any more clots forming. If you have problems walking long distances with cramping, burning and pain in your legs, I urge you to seek medical help. Chances are you have a clot or decreased circulation to your legs. Clots can break free if untreated, travel to your lungs or heart and kill you. Don't neglect or dismiss the warning signs. Your body is trying to tell you something is not right.

Comment from: joyce, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I had swelling in my left foot for over a year. I thought it was because of a new blood pressure medicine. My doctor sent me for echocardiogram and it was fine. The swelling got worse and one day I thought I had pulled a muscle in my inner thigh. After ultrasound I found out that I had a very large blood clot extending into my abdomen from my left leg. I was 3 days in ICU. I had 2 days of catheterization to dissolve and remove the DVT (deep vein thrombosis). I'm now attending Coumadin clinic once a month and recovering nicely.

Comment from: momof2, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I thought I had pulled a muscle in the calf of my left leg. I went to the doctor, and he sent me home and told me to exercise, give it three weeks, and it should be fine. This was on a Wednesday. By that Saturday, I could not even handle weight on my left foot at all. I went to the emergency room and found out I had a deep vein thrombosis that was from above my left knee that went all the way to my ankle. I was admitted and immediately started on Lovenox shots and Warfarin. I am home and doing better. Thank goodness I listened to my body and not the doctor.

Comment from: Evelyn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

A week after having an angioplasty, my right leg began to show signs of swelling on a Friday night. By Monday, I called my cardiologist and he said to go immediately to the emergency room. I did and spent the next 10 hours there. They ran an ultrasound and some other test. I saw a doctor and then was sent home, saying they couldn't find anything even though my leg was more than two inches larger than the other. I went back to the cardiologist the next day. He was shocked at the size of my leg and sent me to a vascular doctor whom I did not see until two days later. They found a deep vein thrombosis in my groin area immediately. They put me in the hospital for five days on IV heparin, followed by six months on Coumadin. I have had another angioplasty since then, and this time I didn't have a blood clot. Thank God!

Comment from: Etner101, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: September 17

Once upon a time, I was going to school like normal as always, and all of a sudden I started having problems walking, breathing, etc. This was in a large time span of about a week, and it got to the point where we went to the emergency room. After X-rays and ultrasounds, the doctor came in and said "we found DVTs in his legs, and we are flying him to Johns Hopkins". I said, "I don't have time for this, I am only 13 years old this can't be happening!" I have spent my Easter as well as a good 2 months in the hospital as they were trying to put me on warfarin. This is caused because I have factor V leiden, and an absent IVC. Is it possible to consume more protein C and S with factor V? I wonder, again I am only 13 years old and this is only for like 60 year olds. I understand how rare this is, almost impossible.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Blood Clot in the Legs

Blood Clots
Blood Clots Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Leg Pain
Leg Pain There are a variety of causes of leg pain. Some ...learn more >>
Pulmonary Embolism
Pulmonary Embolism A pulmonary embolism (PE) is a blood clot in the lung. The clot typically comes from other areas of the body and travels to the lung, where it becomes lodged. P...learn more >>

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your deep vein thrombosis?

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Diagnosis

What kind of Diagnosis did you have for deep vein thrombosis (DVT)?

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Causes

Do you know what caused your deep vein thrombosis (DVT)?

DVT - Experience

Please share your experience with deep vein thrombosis (DVT).

DVT - Medications

What medications were effective in treating DVT?

DVT - Surgery

Please share your experience with DVT surgery.

Atrial Fibrillation Slideshow