Viewer Comments: Deep Vein Thrombosis - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT):

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your deep vein thrombosis?

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 23

I was in a car accident. I went to the ER to get check out they did several x-rays didn't find anything. Three days later I went to bed my leg was in pain around the knee. The next morning I could barely walk. I talk with the nurse she told me that the doctor will get back with me this went on for three weeks the doctor never got back to me. Finally they told me a have appointment on the first of September. I talk with my PCP to her what was going on. I asked her for some pain meds she told me she couldn't do that and never checked me. I left there in severe pain. The following Monday was labor I was in so much pain so I sought out another doctor on that Tuesday, I told him what's going on, he respond said it sound like look like a clot and he sent me immediately to get a ultrasound. I am glad that I followed up on my own health if I hadn't I could have been dead today. I am on blood thinner it has been six months.

Comment from: B_Jones, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I am a 64 y/o male with a history of Leukemia (CLL). I am currently experiencing my third set of DVTs and second round of pulmonary emboli. I have a large clot in my upper leg which has totally occluded my femoral vein. I also have two large pulmonary emboli, one on each lung which has involved all four lobes of the lungs. I was started on Heparin in the hospital as well as 5 mg of Coumadin.

Comment from: SPB, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I am 24 years old and I was diagnosed with DVT during my seventh month of pregnancy. One night my leg swelled up really bad and it was so hard. I couldn't bend it, let alone walk, and the pain was so indescribable. I stayed in the hospital for a week and my form of treatment is a blood thinner called Lovenox.

Comment from: Michael, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 10

I am a 61 year old man and just experienced a blood clot in my lower left leg. There was a small lump on the back of my leg behind my knee and my calf and foot were red and very swollen. The doctor instructed me to take a full aspirin ASAP to thin my blood. The aspirin resolved symptoms in a few hours. A sonogram is scheduled for today to make sure there is no deep vein problem.

Comment from: speedmjack, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

I went fishing and came home and lay down and got up a few hours later to find that my leg was swollen up. The wife and I went to the hospital and had a CT scan done and there it was in my leg “ deep vein thrombosis.

Comment from: Deck, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 01

After reading the information on Deep Vein Thrombosis I though the pain around my right knee was sure to be a blood clot as it matched all the symptoms from the article. We made the trip to the emergency room and to my relief the doctor determined that it was gout and prescribed anti-inflammatory medications, which I expect will sort the problem out over the course of the evening.

Comment from: Rodney, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 28

I'm a 50 year-old man, who unbeknownst to me developed DVT about (4) weeks ago. While I was stacking timber sideways, I immediately felt sharp pain and had swelling below calf, behind knee and at the top of my hamstring. After a couple of weeks, I had a dull sensation in left thigh. Then, swelling of ankle developed as well. I ignored the symptoms until just recently. Treatment is including two injections daily and warfarin.

Comment from: lucklylady62, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

The day after a total knee replacement surgery, they got me up to walk using a walker. I was doing well and just got very weak while walking. I turned my walker around and passed out. I woke up in my room with doctors and nurses working on me. I spent two days in ICU. The blood clot went from my left leg to my right lung. I was very LUCKY that the clot didn't block and vein or artery. I have to be on blood thinner medicine for 6months, and I have to have blood checked twice a week for 6months.

Comment from: Sarah, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 28

My 69 year old husband, in the past 5 years, has had a total of 3 stents for heart blockages and has a pacemaker/defibrillator. He is diabetic and just recently has been on insulin. He was introduced to Coumadin when his pacemaker was implanted because he also had/has a blood clot in the front of his heart. Two weeks ago he started having really bad nightly leg cramps. He went to his personal doctor and was instructed to have an ultra sound of his leg. That was one week ago Thursday. He was immediately transported to the hospital because it was discovered that he had a clot that ran the entire length of his leg. He underwent a procedure where a filter was placed in the artery below his heart.

Must Read Articles Related to Blood Clot in the Legs

Blood Clots
Blood Clots Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Leg Pain
Leg Pain There are a variety of causes of leg pain. Some of the common causes include fractures, strains, sprains, bleeding, diseases such as gout, peripheral artery dis...learn more >>
Pulmonary Embolism
Pulmonary Embolism A pulmonary embolism (PE) is a blood clot in the lung. The clot typically comes from other areas of the body and travels to the lung, where it becomes lodged. P...learn more >>

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms

For deep vein thrombosis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?