Viewer Comments: Deep Vein Thrombosis - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT):

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your deep vein thrombosis?

Comment from: Rocky, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

I was at work and moving a motor in a box about 80lbs and started breathing hard, and began stacking small oxygen bottles on a shelf on my knees and felt as if the atmosphere was bad and I felt like I was about to pass out. I crawled outside to get fresh air and began panting as if I had sprinted a marathon and passed out again. I pulled out my cell phone and as soon as I could catch breath called 911 and soon an ambulance arrived and found my oxygen level at 84% and put me on oxygen and transported me to the hospital. ER Doctor couldn't find anything wrong and as I informed him I thought I might have breathed a chemical... He then had me walk around ER with nurse and monitor my oxygen level (96) and as I started walking I felt it harder and harder to breath and was put back on oxygen. The ER doc sent me to have a CT scan and they found both lungs with blood clots (pulmonary embolism) from my deep vein thrombosis (DVT). When being asked about recent trauma or long plane trip - forgot I had banged my shin in a slip on recent snow storm on curb and leg was red and swollen (leg trauma) even then it was considered rare. I also forgot that 24 years earlier I had a vein stripping on my leg and when I left the hospital also had a blood clot.

Comment from: BLESSED, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

My ordeal happened back in October 2009 I woke up to my leg being swollen from the top of my hip to the bottom of my left foot. At first the pain was mild. It was only a tingly numb feeling as if it had fallen asleep. I called my fiance and he insisted that I go to the ER, but I didn't have insurance so I wanted to wait to let him see what he thought about it because maybe it could have been a spider bite. Well, when he came by he couldn't get me to the ER fast enough. He said it looked very scary plus by now the pain had kicked in and I was ready as well to see what in the world was happening to me. When I got there in triage, I weighed 20 pounds more than normal. That was another red flag in my opinion. When the doctors saw the size of my leg they ordered an ultrasound where they found the DVT and admitted me into the hospital where I stayed for a week.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: October 14

I am having a difficult time finding others who have had DVT's in the subclavian (chest area) to share stories with. I have had two now, one on each side of my chest, and they have gone into my arms. I was only about 45 years old with the first one to get diagnosed. It has taken a long time to find due to symptoms. Now after the second one I am on 7.5 mg Warfarin daily. Keeping within the INR range has been difficult lately, but I am going in to see if something is now happening in my leg.

Must Read Articles Related to Blood Clot in the Legs

Blood Clots
Blood Clots Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Leg Pain
Leg Pain There are a variety of causes of leg pain. Some of the common causes include fractures, strains, sprains, bleeding, diseases such as gout, peripheral artery dis...learn more >>
Pulmonary Embolism
Pulmonary Embolism A pulmonary embolism (PE) is a blood clot in the lung. It usually comes from smaller vessels in the leg, pelvis, arms, or heart. When a clot forms in the ...learn more >>

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms

For deep vein thrombosis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?