Viewer Comments: Deep Vein Thrombosis - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT):

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your deep vein thrombosis?

Comment from: lucky girl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

My ordeal actually began in mid January 2010 but wasn't diagnosed until March 2010. I had the tingling and swelling but my doctor attributed it to sciatica since I have lower back issues. I flew from IN to VA where I worked for two months. The day after I returned home, my leg was still swollen, achy, had red areas that were warm, and I had a little trouble breathing as well. I went to my doc's office, the nurse practitioner took one look at my leg and said it could be a blood clot. She suggested possibly a bug bite or a sprained ankle but I could tell she strongly thought it was a clot. I went to the local hospital, got it checked, and to my surprise, she was right. There were actually three areas where the clots could clearly be seen on the picture. I was admitted and that night had a CT scan which found clots in my lungs too. I spent only from Friday night to early Monday afternoon there on an IV of Heparin and started taking warfarin pills which I am still taking. I've been getting my blood checked every 2 - 4 weeks for over a year now too. Like Venus Williams said, I feel lucky to be alive.

Comment from: momofalli, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

My right leg began aching and cramping at night to where I had to get out of bed. Within a few days my toes were blue and very swollen! I went right to the podiatrist. She set an appointment up with the surgeon 3 p.m. the same day He had to put 3 stents behind my knee but there were blood clots at the base of my toes, my knee and groin area. I'm already showing signs of having the problem again.

Comment from: joebear, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

I was 2 months pregnant when I was experiencing pain in my left leg. I thought I had a pulled muscle, so I put heat on it with in 1 hour my pain traveled up to my groin area. Within 1 more hour I couldn't walk on my leg. I had to crawl into my parents' room. My husband was out of town. My dad had to carry me down the stairs. We called my doctor and he said go to emergency room. We got to emergency room within 20 minutes of arriving I was experiencing pains in the chest. All I remember is the doctor yelling code and the doctors telling my parents to stand back because they are trying to save their daughter's life. My blood clot turned pulmonary embolism and almost took my life that night. I was unconscious for three days. While unconscious they put a green filter in through my neck to prevent any other clots passing. When I woke up I was in the ICU with IVs attached and blood infusions. All in all I was on blood thinners after I got out of the hospital for the rest of my pregnancy. I am ok and most important the baby was ok as well. Big baby boy Brady!

Comment from: dvt guy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 19

I woke up one more in 1993 with a swollen thigh. I went to the hospital and I was told that there was a blood clot in my thigh. I have been on blood thinners for 14 years. I still get clots. I am on medication, but now I get injections because the pills no longer work for me.

Comment from: Tammy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I awoke with swelling, redness and heaviness in my entire left leg. I went to the doctor, ordered blood work and ultrasound which showed diminished flow. I sent for a CT scan. It found a large clot extending from iliac to femoral vein with significant blockage. I was put on heparin shots twice daily for two and half weeks while Coumadin levels became therapeutic. The doctor set up an appointment with a specialist for catheter clot busting surgery. Got there, he said it was too late, clot had already hardened to vein walls and that too much time had gone by and was too risky at that point. So, apparently there is a very short "window of opportunity" for that surgery. I am now home on bedrest and taking Coumadin hoping my body can fix itself.

Comment from: Mkakish , 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

I have my DVT in my left leg. I had it from a long flight. At that time I felt my leg was stiff, and started to hurt. I went to my DR. who checked it and gave me pain pills. I took the pills for a couple weeks, but my leg swelled and my right chest started hurting. My leg was checked (by ultra sound), and found out the clots. They gave me Lovenox shots, and started me on warfarin. Nobody mentioned anything about my chest pain. A week later I started feeling gurgling in my lung. At the hospital hey gave me steroids and other medications. I was lucky, the clot in my lung was dissolved. I am taking warfarin, and have to take it for the rest of my life.

Comment from: mw, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I had a total knee replacement. Within a few days I noticed that the area was puffy so I went to see my surgeon. I had a staph infection. I had to stay as quiet as possible while I was on antibiotics. About three months after the surgery, I noticed that my foot was swollen. I went to my regular doctor and was told I had gout. When I disagreed with him he ordered gout tests. They were negative. I asked for some other tests, but was told that it was normal after surgery to have swelling. Three weeks later I went back to the doctor and this time I was told I had a lymph gland problem. I went to the E.R. and they checked me for a heart attack. Those tests were negative. Two weeks later, my leg was swollen from my toes to my groin. My surgeon immediately ordered an ultrasound. I have DVT in my right leg from my groin to my toes. I have clots in my lungs, and one was getting ready to go into my heart. I was hospitalized for a week. Do doctors not know about clots? I will be on warfarin for a long time.

Must Read Articles Related to Blood Clot in the Legs

Blood Clots
Blood Clots Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Leg Pain
Leg Pain There are a variety of causes of leg pain. Some of the common causes include fractures, strains, sprains, bleeding, diseases such as gout, peripheral artery dis...learn more >>
Pulmonary Embolism
Pulmonary Embolism A pulmonary embolism (PE) is a blood clot in the lung. It usually comes from smaller vessels in the leg, pelvis, arms, or heart. When a clot forms in the ...learn more >>

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms

For deep vein thrombosis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?