Viewer Comments: Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Blood Clots:

Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Blood Clots.

Comment from: jill, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 27

My blood clots started to form in my right leg along with intermittent pain. This went on for many months until finally I went to the emergency department in my area and told the doctors that I thought I had DVTs. It was confirmed by an ultrasound device that my entire leg was full of blood clots. And after further x-rays of my lungs, I was told I had blood clots in both of my lungs as well. My heart was fine. My symptoms were excessive coughing, to the point of throwing up, pain in my leg, swelling of my leg, shortness of breath with minimal activity, and dizziness. I attribute my blood clots to the fact that I was driving in my car excessively for my job and did not get out enough to stretch my legs and get the blood circulating to prevent clots from forming in the first place. This went on for 15 years. I am fine now and take only an aspirin a day. I did take warfarin for one year during this time and was monitored for my protime each month.

Comment from: Bloodclots, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 13

I woke up with a head ache above my right eye that caused me to lose sight in my left eye. I was told hospital that my brain was bleeding. Later told I had a blood clot that went in to my brain, that same week they found another blood clot near my heart. I was put on blood thinners to try and shrink it. Three days later it went in to my right aorta and caused me to have a heart attack and open heart surgery. Yet the doctors don't know what caused the blood clots. Blood clots normal, no injuries to heart or vessels.

Comment from: Ginuwineladee09, 45-54 Female Published: December 02

I woke up one Friday morning this past March and could not breathe. I thought I was catching a cold or flu. The whole weekend while at work, I could not breathe. A friend suggested I call the Ask-a-Nurse and I'm so glad I did. I left work early the following Monday and saw a doctor who happen to have an opening and was admitted to the hospital and hour later. A CAT scan and other test were ordered but a few hours after the scan I was told I had Pulmonary Embolism! I asked what that was and was told, "You have blood clots in your lungs"! I almost passed out because I had always been healthy and active. I had to have Lovenex shots in my side and started taking Coumadin.

Comment from: rblegalvideo, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I just had my catheter removed after prostate cancer surgery. I am now having problems with blood clots, and am trying to pass. I am drinking plenty of warm water, moving around, and urinating frequently. I have good clear urine until the end, and then there is blood; follow my discomfort and then I am through. I drink more warm water, and way to urinate again. Looking for a way to help break up the blood, and get back to a painless, clear urination.

I just had hip replacement and ended up having 3 blood transfusions and ended up with a hematoma in thigh 9 weeks ago, today left lower arm is really hot and is swollen and my head feels tight.

Comment from: christopher52, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 20

My mother has swelling in her leg, knee and foot. She was very cold. We found out later that she had a blood clot in her lung that hit her heart.

Comment from: gogees place, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I had clots in my neck, as I had been working in the yard. Naturally, I thought I had pulled a muscle, but my neck kept getting worse and swelling, so I finally went to the doctor. I had a CT scan and went straight to the hospital. Now, I'm on blood thinners and I have to have my blood checked every week. I'm not sure what caused the clots and I may never know.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I had severe pain in my left side of my chest, just like someone had punched me really hard. I let it go for 3 days, then it got so bad it hurt to breathe could not stand the pain anymore, went to the hospital. The left me waiting for 6 hours, and then finally did a CT, and discovered I had multiple pulmonary embolism. I was hospitalized for 2wks, given heparin & oxygen. Stayed on heparin for a year as I became pregnant a month later, then was put on Warfarin. They don't know why I had this, but every time I get chest pain now, I have to go the hospital immediately to be tested.

Must Read Articles Related to Blood Clots

Atrial Fibrillation (AFib)
Atrial Fibrillation Atrial fibrillation (AFib) describes a rapid, irregular heart rhythm. The irregular rhythm, or arrhythmia, results from abnormal electrical impulses in the hear...learn more >>
Atrial Flutter
Atrial Flutter Atrial flutter is a type of arrythmia, that is, an irregularity in the beating of the heart. Atrial flutter is caused by as misfiring of electrical nerve impuls...learn more >>
Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT)
Blood Clot in the Legs Deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in the leg, DVT) is a learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Blood Clots:

Blood Clots - Treatment

Please share your experience with treatment for a condition caused by blood clots.

Blood Clots - Cause

What was the cause of your blood clots?

Blood Clots - Surgery

Please share your experience with surgery a condition caused by blood clots.

Atrial Fibrillation Slideshow