Viewer Comments: Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Blood Clots:

Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Blood Clots.

Comment from: christopher52, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 20

My mother has swelling in her leg, knee and foot. She was very cold. We found out later that she had a blood clot in her lung that hit her heart.

Comment from: gogees place, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I had clots in my neck, as I had been working in the yard. Naturally, I thought I had pulled a muscle, but my neck kept getting worse and swelling, so I finally went to the doctor. I had a CT scan and went straight to the hospital. Now, I'm on blood thinners and I have to have my blood checked every week. I'm not sure what caused the clots and I may never know.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I had severe pain in my left side of my chest, just like someone had punched me really hard. I let it go for 3 days, then it got so bad it hurt to breathe could not stand the pain anymore, went to the hospital. The left me waiting for 6 hours, and then finally did a CT, and discovered I had multiple pulmonary embolism. I was hospitalized for 2wks, given heparin & oxygen. Stayed on heparin for a year as I became pregnant a month later, then was put on Warfarin. They don't know why I had this, but every time I get chest pain now, I have to go the hospital immediately to be tested.

Related Reading: heparin

Comment from: shel (taranaki), 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I woke up one morning with a nasty pain in my groin. My lower left leg was swollen and purple that next night the pain had worsened and had travelled to my lower leg. During the night it got bigger. By the next morning, I could hardly walk. My doctor suspected a deep vein thrombosis, and sent me straight to hospital. The doctors kept asking if I experienced any chest pain or shortness of breath, which I hadn't. They sent me for a chest x-ray and I couldn't make out why because it was my leg that was sore. I also had a CT scan. The results came back that I had no blood flow getting into my leg at all and had many little clots travel through my heart and into my lungs which made that one side of my heart stressed. I was rushed to the intensive care unit, where they worked their magic. A week later, I was discharged. I now am on warfarin for the rest of my life as I have antiphospholipid syndrome.

Comment from: terrymom42, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I initially had a simple cold. My chest was hurting badly and it was accompanied by a high fever. I went to a nearby urgent care facility, where an EKG was done and they said that there was something wrong with my heart. The attending physician went over another doctor's head and did a CT scan because he was concerned about the readings from my blood work. After the CT scan, it was discovered that I have a pulmonary embolism. They said they don't know where it came from or why. I'm only 44 and so scared of this entire ordeal. I never, ever thought about dying until now, but still, I thank God every day. I would love to hear your story.

Comment from: Medgirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

Fractured my ankle in April and had a plate and screws to fix my broken tibia and fibula. I had another surgery in July to remove a fixation screw. I was bandaged for a couple of weeks. Noticed that my foot would become swollen and the skin shiny by the end of the day. At times, the limb was warm but not hot. Also, there was pitting edema down my shin. One night at the end of July, I experienced (crackles in my lungs), a racing heart, sharp stabbing pain beneath my breastbone, sweating and pain going down my left arm. This lasted for a few moments then dissipated. The following day, I was very breathless upon exertion and had periodic central chest pain which would last for a matter of seconds. Saw my doctor the following day as I suspected a chest infection. She said that given I'd had a lower leg fracture and recent surgery then I was high risk for a blood clot. My local hospital did a chest x-ray and CTPA and discovered a huge blood clot near my heart which had become tired from having to pump extra hard. Was admitted for 2 days and am responding well on anticoagulant therapy. Realize I have been a very fortunate person.

Must Read Articles Related to Blood Clots

Atrial Fibrillation (A Fib)
Atrial Fibrillation Atrial fibrillation (A fib) describes a rapid, irregular heart rhythm. The irregular rhythm, or arrhythmia, results from abnormal electrical impulses in the hea...learn more >>
Atrial Flutter
Atrial Flutter Atrial flutter is an abnormality in the beating of the heart. Such abnormalities, whether in rhythm of heartbeat or speed of heartbeat, are known as arrhythmias...learn more >>
Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT)
Blood Clot in the Legs Deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in the leg, DVT) is a blood clot imbedded in one of the major veins of the lower body, including the legs, thighs, or pelvis. C...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Blood Clots:

Blood Clots - Cause

What was the cause of your blood clots?

Blood Clots - Treatment

What was the treatment for your blood clots?