Viewer Comments: Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Blood Clots:

Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Blood Clots.

Comment from: Nev8, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I underwent surgery for removal of fibroids (myomectomy) and developed blood clots in both lungs. The surgery lasted for 4 hours so I guess this was largely responsible for the formation of the blood clots. I led a very active life prior the surgery and was very much involved in physical fitness. You can well imagine how surprised I was when one day after the surgery I was unable to walk from my bed to a chair in the room without being on the verge of blacking out. My second attempt at walking the next day was just as disastrous. I was put Lovenox injections, which I hated. My abdomen developed significant bruising. I was subsequently placed on Xarelto pills and I am still taking them. I am now 2 weeks into taking the Xarelto and have not experienced any side effects.

Comment from: Rosemary, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I am a blood clot survivor. I was diagnosed with the blood clot after leaving the intensive care unit during delivery of my first born through cesarean section in a hospital from a poor reversal operation. I was put on a heparin drip for three months, later on warfarin for two years. My biggest worry is, I have no idea if the clot from my left leg is cleared since it led me to weakness with my nerves, speed decrease, fatigue, and hormonal imbalance.

Comment from: desdopolisi, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 13

I had felt pain in my left leg after surgery as an outpatient in the hospital. I called an ambulance to take me in to the next hospital for an exam on the pain in my leg. The hospital took an ultrasound and found a deep vein thrombosis in my right leg. The nurse gave me Lovenox injections and now I'm on Eliquis. I felt that my left leg was developing one but it feels better. I'm going to continue to take Eliquis to help me with my recovery.

Comment from: Ramaben, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 15

Since last about 10 years I have been suffering with clots in my left leg which took me to the hospital in 2007. I was admitted 3 times in the hospital. Today again I am suffering severe leg pain and due to my age of 90 years, doctor is avoiding heavy dose of medicines. I am not getting sleep since last 10 days.

Comment from: emelys, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I haven't seen a doctor yet but I have been passing blood clots when I urinate. I've been having chest pain and it feels like air bubbles, then it feels numb. I also have stomach pains, headaches, feel light headed, shortness of breath, and I've also been having fevers often. This has been going on for a month now and I keep thinking it will all go away. I hate going to the doctors and have been doing a lot of research online about blood clots and I'm now more afraid than before to find out what this is.

Comment from: Anna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I fell on the stairs of my home. I didn't really hit or bruise my arm, just extended it to prevent my fall. The next day my arm was sore. I thought I pulled a muscle. The next day the soreness was worse. On the 3rd day I could hardly move my arm. On the 4th day I could not comb my hair, it was very painful and swelling. It had redness and was hot to the touch. Finally, I went to the doctor. I had a sonogram and it determined I had a clot. The doctor wanted me in the hospital, but my husband could not be left alone. I gave my self shots of Loveonox prescribed by doctor at home. I later had a clot in other arm and behind my left knee. The Lovenox worked and I am still taking a pill and a half a day of Coumadin. Blood work weekly to keep check on thickness of my blood. Hopefully can get answers why I had the clots. Have not been sick or to a doctor in 3 or 4 years.

Comment from: river rat 46, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

My lower right calf muscle felt sore. After about two weeks I began having bad pain in my chest especially when I coughed. This kept getting worse and I thought I was having a heart attack so I went to my doctor. I was not able to get a good breath and thought I would smother and also had intense pain in the left shoulder. My left arm didn't have any strength. I had a DVT with a pulmonary embolism in each lung. I have been on warfarin since December 2nd. I am getting a blood test next month and I might not have to take it any longer.

Comment from: Piercs23, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I just got into the shower and when I wiped my area a blood clot came out. It's not time for my period yet.

Must Read Articles Related to Blood Clots

Atrial Fibrillation (AFib)
Atrial Fibrillation Atrial fibrillation (AFib) describes a rapid, irregular heart rhythm. The irregular rhythm, or arrhythmia, results from abnormal electrical impulses in the hear...learn more >>
Atrial Flutter
Atrial Flutter Atrial flutter is a type of arrythmia, that is, an irregularity in the beating of the heart. Atrial flutter is caused by as misfiring of electrical nerve impuls...learn more >>
Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT)
Blood Clot in the Legs Deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in the leg, DVT) is a learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Blood Clots:

Blood Clots - Surgery

Please share your experience with surgery a condition caused by blood clots.

Blood Clots - Cause

What was the cause of your blood clots?

Blood Clots - Treatment

Please share your experience with treatment for a condition caused by blood clots.

Atrial Fibrillation Slideshow