Viewer Comments: Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Blood Clots:

Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Blood Clots.

Comment from: Anna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I fell on the stairs of my home. I didn't really hit or bruise my arm, just extended it to prevent my fall. The next day my arm was sore. I thought I pulled a muscle. The next day the soreness was worse. On the 3rd day I could hardly move my arm. On the 4th day I could not comb my hair, it was very painful and swelling. It had redness and was hot to the touch. Finally, I went to the doctor. I had a sonogram and it determined I had a clot. The doctor wanted me in the hospital, but my husband could not be left alone. I gave my self shots of Loveonox prescribed by doctor at home. I later had a clot in other arm and behind my left knee. The Lovenox worked and I am still taking a pill and a half a day of Coumadin. Blood work weekly to keep check on thickness of my blood. Hopefully can get answers why I had the clots. Have not been sick or to a doctor in 3 or 4 years.

Comment from: river rat 46, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

My lower right calf muscle felt sore. After about two weeks I began having bad pain in my chest especially when I coughed. This kept getting worse and I thought I was having a heart attack so I went to my doctor. I was not able to get a good breath and thought I would smother and also had intense pain in the left shoulder. My left arm didn't have any strength. I had a DVT with a pulmonary embolism in each lung. I have been on warfarin since December 2nd. I am getting a blood test next month and I might not have to take it any longer.

Related Reading: warfarin

Comment from: jill, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 27

My blood clots started to form in my right leg along with intermittent pain. This went on for many months until finally I went to the emergency department in my area and told the doctors that I thought I had DVTs. It was confirmed by an ultrasound device that my entire leg was full of blood clots. And after further x-rays of my lungs, I was told I had blood clots in both of my lungs as well. My heart was fine. My symptoms were excessive coughing, to the point of throwing up, pain in my leg, swelling of my leg, shortness of breath with minimal activity, and dizziness. I attribute my blood clots to the fact that I was driving in my car excessively for my job and did not get out enough to stretch my legs and get the blood circulating to prevent clots from forming in the first place. This went on for 15 years. I am fine now and take only an aspirin a day. I did take warfarin for one year during this time and was monitored for my protime each month.

Related Reading: aspirin

Comment from: Bloodclots, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 13

I woke up with a head ache above my right eye that caused me to lose sight in my left eye. I was told hospital that my brain was bleeding. Later told I had a blood clot that went in to my brain, that same week they found another blood clot near my heart. I was put on blood thinners to try and shrink it. Three days later it went in to my right aorta and caused me to have a heart attack and open heart surgery. Yet the doctors don't know what caused the blood clots. Blood clots normal, no injuries to heart or vessels.

Comment from: Ginuwineladee09, 45-54 Female Published: December 02

I woke up one Friday morning this past March and could not breathe. I thought I was catching a cold or flu. The whole weekend while at work, I could not breathe. A friend suggested I call the Ask-a-Nurse and I'm so glad I did. I left work early the following Monday and saw a doctor who happen to have an opening and was admitted to the hospital and hour later. A CAT scan and other test were ordered but a few hours after the scan I was told I had Pulmonary Embolism! I asked what that was and was told, "You have blood clots in your lungs"! I almost passed out because I had always been healthy and active. I had to have Lovenex shots in my side and started taking Coumadin.

Comment from: rblegalvideo, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I just had my catheter removed after prostate cancer surgery. I am now having problems with blood clots, and am trying to pass. I am drinking plenty of warm water, moving around, and urinating frequently. I have good clear urine until the end, and then there is blood; follow my discomfort and then I am through. I drink more warm water, and way to urinate again. Looking for a way to help break up the blood, and get back to a painless, clear urination.

I just had hip replacement and ended up having 3 blood transfusions and ended up with a hematoma in thigh 9 weeks ago, today left lower arm is really hot and is swollen and my head feels tight.

Must Read Articles Related to Blood Clots

Atrial Fibrillation (A Fib)
Atrial Fibrillation Atrial fibrillation (A fib) describes a rapid, irregular heart rhythm. The irregular rhythm, or arrhythmia, results from abnormal electrical impulses in the hea...learn more >>
Atrial Flutter
Atrial Flutter Atrial flutter is an abnormality in the beating of the heart. Such abnormalities, whether in rhythm of heartbeat or speed of heartbeat, are known as arrhythmias...learn more >>
Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT)
Blood Clot in the Legs Deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in the leg, DVT) is a blood clot imbedded in one of the major veins of the lower body, including the legs, thighs, or pelvis. C...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Blood Clots:

Blood Clots - Cause

What was the cause of your blood clots?

Blood Clots - Treatment

What was the treatment for your blood clots?