Viewer Comments: Blood Clots - Cause

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Blood Clots:

Blood Clots - Cause

What was the cause of your blood clots?

Comment from: aghadi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I experienced heavy continuous bleeding after my monthly periods. It lasted for about 18 days. Clots of blood would just keep dropping out. It was quite scary. The scan result showed sub-mucuosal fibroid

Comment from: Mollydoodles, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I received a B12 shot in my upper left arm. The next day, I received a CT scan to check on my pneumonia. A contrast agent was put in my elbow bend of the inner left arm. I noticed my muscle is extremely sore in that upper left arm. This was over 7 weeks ago. When getting scan they said the contrast was leaking. I have a lump in my arm and I am afraid that I have a blood clot.

Comment from: scarymoment, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 17

I was sitting at my desk at work and noticed a pain in my central back. It felt like a muscle pull. It then moved through to my chest, a very sharp stabbing pain. I dismissed it for a bad cramp or gas. I chewed Tums and the pain persisted. I started sweating profusely, shortness in breath and white as a ghost, according to a cohort. They brought me to the hospital, where I was told I had a blood clot travel through my heart, down my aorta and shut off the blood supply. I was taken to the hospital where I was immediately admitted to the ICU. Four days later, released from ICU, I had all the joints on the left side of my body swell with intense pain. It took over a week in the hospital before they would release me.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I had intermittent pain in left arm and I would lose use of it. This went on for the better part of a year before I had to have emergency surgery to remove the clots.

Comment from: 3putter, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 29

Nine days after my pacemaker operation, my left arm swelled. The ER ultrasound revealed a clot in the left chest

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

The doctor said my blood clot came from taking birth control pill.

Comment from: joyfulmarie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I had a procedure to my knee to clip away damaged cartilage and shave down some arthritis. It's called arthroscopic surgery. I had a blood clot the 3rd day after surgery, multiple pieces broke off, went through my heart, and landed in the lungs, and I had to stay in hospital 1 1/2 weeks. Now I am on blood thinners for 6 months.

Comment from: CHAS, 65-74 (Patient) Published: February 14

I had ankle surgery to set a broken ankle. About 6 weeks later I suffered shortness of breath and ended up in the hospital for 8 days with pulmonary edema. It was recommended that I wear compression socks to prevent blood clots.

Must Read Articles Related to Blood Clots

Atrial Fibrillation (A Fib)
Atrial Fibrillation Atrial fibrillation (A fib) describes a rapid, irregular heart rhythm. The irregular rhythm, or arrhythmia, results from abnormal electrical impulses in the hea...learn more >>
Atrial Flutter
Atrial Flutter Atrial flutter is an abnormality in the beating of the heart. Such abnormalities, whether in rhythm of heartbeat or speed of heartbeat, are known as arrhythmias...learn more >>
Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT)
Blood Clot in the Legs Deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in the leg, DVT) is a blood clot imbedded in one of the major veins of the lower body, including the legs, thighs, or pelvis. C...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Blood Clots:

Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Blood Clots.

Blood Clots - Treatment

What was the treatment for your blood clots?