Blood in the Urine
Blood in Urine Facts
- Blood in the urine is medically referred to as hematuria.
- Hematuria may be visible with the naked eye (gross hematuria) or identified on microscopic urinalysis (microscopic hematuria).
- Hematuria may be caused by many conditions, and not all causes of hematuria are serious.
- Strenuous exercise and certain medications can cause hematuria.
- Kidney stones, urinary tract infections, kidney disease, blood diseases, and some cancers are all known causes of blood in the urine.
- Blood in the urine should always be evaluated by a doctor.
- Blood in the urine may occur on its own or may accompany other symptoms.
- Urinalysis, blood tests, cystoscopy, and imaging tests are used to diagnose the cause of blood in the urine.
Must Read Articles Related to Blood in the Urine (Hematuria)
Antibiotics are prescribed to individuals to cure disease by killing bacteria. There are over 100 antibiotics. The main classes of antibiotics include penicilli...learn more >>
Chronic Kidney Disease
Twenty percent of people over the age of 20 years will develop chronic kidney disease in their lifetime. Chronic kidney disease causes are diseases of the kidne...learn more >>
CT was discovered independently by a British engineer named Sir Godfrey Hounsfield and Dr. Alan Cormack. It has become a mainstay for diagnosing med...learn more >>