Bone Marrow Biopsy (cont.)
Bone Marrow Biopsy Preparation
- The patient may receive instructions about not eating food or drinking liquids before the procedure.
- The patient should be sure to tell the doctor about any prescription medications, over-the-counter medications, as well as herbal supplements he or she is taking.
- The patient should notify the doctor about all allergies, previous reactions to medications, if he or she has had any bleeding problems in the past, or if she is pregnant.
- Before the procedure, the patient will be asked to change into a patient gown.
- The patient's vital signs -- blood pressure, heart rate, respiratory rate, and temperature -- will be measured.
- Depending on the doctor, the patient may have an IV placed or have blood drawn.
- The patient may be given some medicine to help him or her relax.
- The patient may be asked to position him or herself on the stomach or on the side depending on the site the doctor chooses to use.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 12/12/2014
Darilyn Campbell Falck, MD
Must Read Articles Related to Bone Marrow Biopsy
Anemia can be caused by many conditions and diseases such as iron deficiency, poor learn more >>
Myeloma is a cancer of the plasma cells of the blood. Symptoms include early osteoporosis, hypercalcemia, hyperviscosity of the blood, low red and white blood c...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bone Marrow Biopsy: