Bone Marrow Biopsy (cont.)
Bone Marrow Biopsy Preparation
- The patient may receive instructions about not eating food or drinking liquids before the procedure.
- The patient should be sure to tell the doctor about any prescription medications, over-the-counter medications, as well as herbal supplements he or she is taking.
- The patient should notify the doctor about all allergies, previous reactions to medications, if he or she has had any bleeding problems in the past, or if she is pregnant.
- Before the procedure, the patient will be asked to change into a patient gown.
- The patient's vital signs -- blood pressure, heart rate, respiratory rate, and temperature -- will be measured.
- Depending on the doctor, the patient may have an IV placed or have blood drawn.
- The patient may be given some medicine to help him or her relax.
- The patient may be asked to position him or herself on the stomach or on the side depending on the site the doctor chooses to use.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 12/12/2014
Darilyn Campbell Falck, MD
Must Read Articles Related to Bone Marrow Biopsy
Anemia can be caused by many conditions and diseases such as iron deficiency, poor diet and nutrition, cancers, bone marrow problems, and more. Symptoms of anem...learn more >>
Myeloma is a cancer of the plasma cells of the blood. Symptoms include early osteoporosis, hypercalcemia, hyperviscosity of the blood, low red and white blood c...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bone Marrow Biopsy: