Viewer Comments: Bone Marrow Biopsy - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bone Marrow Biopsy:

Bone Marrow Biopsy - Experience

Why did you have a bone marrow biopsy performed?

Comment from: Najmuddin, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 30

I felt pain in my heel. I started treatment like, physiotherapy for a week and started antibiotic tablets for a month. During a test, I found my platelets are very down at 49000. After I stopped taking antibiotics, a week later I revised the test I found my platelets were up to 54000.

Comment from: Rochelle, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I had the biopsy and aspiration done under general anesthesia, and so glad I did! I was terrified of having this done, and just so worried. As a result of the anesthesia I felt nothing at all, and woke up quickly in the recovery area. I had this done at 9:45 a.m. and left the hospital before noon. My hip aches tonight, but it's not unbearable, and there is just a small amount of blood on the bandage. I would urge anyone to ask for the general anesthesia if you can. I had a total hip replacement three months ago, so I was unwilling to go through more pain! Blessings and best of luck to you!

Comment from: David, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 18

I recently had a bone marrow biopsy and aspiration in the doctor's office. I thought the doctor did an excellent job. It didn't hurt at all except for a little bit when she withdrew the fluid during the aspiration. She warned me, so it was no big deal. The reason for the procedure was my platelets had dropped to below 50K and my red and white blood cell counts were slightly low. My hemoglobin and hematocrit were also slightly low. I am currently waiting on the results.

Comment from: Shannon, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I will be having a bone biopsy next Friday. I have had a broken collarbone for nine years and there is an infection inside it.

Comment from: mousekatear, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I had a bone marrow biopsy and aspiration of fluid built up just two days ago. The procedure was very painful for me. It needed to be done to see if I have osteomyelitis because I had a staph infection for 18 months. Although it was very painful, I would do it again if it means I will be healthy.

Comment from: Leslie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

They put me out. It didn't hurt. The numbing shot hurt so they gave me more pain and sleep medicine. I woke up drank some water, breathed deeply and slept a little. Everything was done in about 2 1/2 hrs. Came home and ate. Going to take a nap now. So please don't worry about having this done!

Comment from: angie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I had a bone marrow biopsy performed due to a diagnosis of monoclonal gammopathy (an elevated protein in my blood which can be the beginning of multiple myloma). My doctor numbed my hip with lydocaine and I can honestly say I did not feel a thing!! I was quite surprised, because my niece had leukemia and had to endure many of these which she said were terribly painful. So, for anyone facing a bone marrow biopsy, it can be done painlessly without sedation!!!

Comment from: Linda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I had a bone marrow biopsy done a few days ago. I was given an option to be put "under.” They told me to take 2 Tylenol. That did nothing for the pain during the procedure. Anyway, my doctor is diagnosing it as CML.

Comment from: NoPain, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I had a bone marrow biopsy today at the hospital due to a high white blood cell count. The nurses and doctors explained everything that would take place. I was put under a twilight type sleep. I did not feel a thing. I was taken to the recovery room, and was provided with lunch with husband by my side. I went home and am doing very well. I experienced no pain at all. I have a follow-up appointment with am oncologist in a week. I am expecting positive news.

Comment from: lil_jj, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 29

I had my first bone marrow biopsy and aspiration done today looking for a rare type of lymphoma. I live in Australia and by patient rights you must be sedated for the procedure. I was given a mixture of fentanyl and propofol so even that I was not rendered unconscious, but I was put into 'twilight sleep' (which to me was just like going to sleep anyway). The site is still numbed with local anesthesia so in theory it turned a what could of been a painful and traumatic event into an uneventful but painless event with no procedure recollection. I highly recommend that anyone going to have a BMB to be properly sedated. Good luck!

Must Read Articles Related to Bone Marrow Biopsy

Anemia Anemia can be caused by many conditions and diseases such as iron deficiency, poor diet and nutrition, cancers, bone marrow problems, and more. Symptoms of anem...learn more >>
Lymphoma Lymphoma is cancer of the lymphatic system. Symptoms include fevers, chills, itching, enlarged spleen, and swollen lymph nodes. Treatment depends upon the type ...learn more >>
Myeloma Myeloma is a cancer of the plasma cells of the blood. Symptoms include early osteoporosis, hypercalcemia, hyperviscosity of the blood, low red and white blood c...learn more >>