Viewer Comments: Bone Marrow Biopsy - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bone Marrow Biopsy:

Bone Marrow Biopsy - Experience

Why did you have a bone marrow biopsy performed?

Comment from: Jennifer, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I had a bone marrow biopsy done today due to low platelet count. I found it very painful, but on the upside the pain dissipates as soon as it is done.

Comment from: tilly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I had a bone marrow biopsy a week ago and I can honestly say there was no pain I just felt a little scatch where they numbed my skin and a little pressure where they went in,I then drove to the shops (although I was ADVISED it was better if someone else drove)did my shopping and went home and all I had was a slight pain in my right leg for a couple of days.

Comment from: elisakaren, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I had a bone marrow biopsy one week ago due to anemia, high WBC count, and high platelet count. This was an extremely painful medical procedure for me. I still hurt a week later. In hindsight, I should have had a support person with me to walk with me to the lab after procedure, drive me home, etc. I also wish I would have been prepared for the intense amount of pain during and after procedure. I just wanted to share my experience, as I was ill-informed.

Comment from: Marie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I had a bone marrow biopsy done 12 days ago for definitive diagnosis of immune thrombocytopenic purpura. My platelets went down to 4 thousand. I still have a large bruise and pain. The healing is delayed due to low platelets. When I asked if I could drive home by myself I was told yes. Please inform anyone having this procedure that they will need a ride home. This is a very painful procedure.

Comment from: georgia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I had a bone marrow biopsy done today my white blood cells is out of sorts and is quiet high. I had a bone marrow biopsy done five years ago which came back and the doctor told me I have chronic lymphocytic disorder. Right now I am looking at doing chemo to put this disease in remission.

Comment from: sc, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 03

My husband had a bone marrow biopsy for high protein in his blood and anemia. It was quite painful.

Comment from: lupdegrave, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 30

I have a low blood count. White blood cells and red blood cells. There is not enough blood in my body. I had blood work done and was told to go to the hospital where they reran the blood. At the time my kidneys were barely functioning and they were talking about a blood transfusion. They said I was anemic and had high calcium content in my blood. I also have psoriasis, and glaucoma. I am only 42 year old male. No blood disorders in my family. The doctors do not know what I have and just did the bone marrow biopsy because blood results were going backward.

Comment from: Imeldar, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I will be having a bone marrow biopsy done in two weeks due to low and unstable blood platelet count.

Comment from: julie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I have had trouble with my white and red blood cells since I was on and since I have been off methotrexate for my psoriatic psoriasis. I am having a bone marrow biopsy in a couple of weeks to determine what is going on.

Comment from: Marilyn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I had a bone scan and a blood test. The results were that I had very high protein in my blood. So I was sent to the haematology clinic, where they arranged for a bone marrow biopsy. I just have to wait for the results.

Comment from: Sara, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 28

My mother will have a bone marrow biopsy in a couple of weeks, she's 76 years old and diabetic for over 30 years. Only problem is her white cell count is low... Hope and pray she will be fine!!!!

Must Read Articles Related to Bone Marrow Biopsy

Anemia
Anemia Anemia can be caused by many conditions and diseases such as iron deficiency, poor diet and nutrition, cancers, bone marrow problems, and more. Symptoms of anem...learn more >>
Lymphoma
Lymphoma Lymphoma is cancer of the lymphatic system. Symptoms include fevers, chills, itching, enlarged spleen, and swollen lymph nodes. Treatment depends upon the type ...learn more >>
Myeloma
Myeloma Myeloma is a cancer of the plasma cells of the blood. Symptoms include early osteoporosis, hypercalcemia, hyperviscosity of the blood, low red and white blood c...learn more >>