Viewer Comments: Bone Marrow Biopsy - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bone Marrow Biopsy:

Bone Marrow Biopsy - Experience

Why did you have a bone marrow biopsy performed?

Comment from: Shannon, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I will be having a bone biopsy next Friday. I have had a broken collarbone for nine years and there is an infection inside it.

Comment from: mousekatear, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I had a bone marrow biopsy and aspiration of fluid built up just two days ago. The procedure was very painful for me. It needed to be done to see if I have osteomyelitis because I had a staph infection for 18 months. Although it was very painful, I would do it again if it means I will be healthy.

Comment from: Leslie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

They put me out. It didn't hurt. The numbing shot hurt so they gave me more pain and sleep medicine. I woke up drank some water, breathed deeply and slept a little. Everything was done in about 2 1/2 hrs. Came home and ate. Going to take a nap now. So please don't worry about having this done!

Comment from: angie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I had a bone marrow biopsy performed due to a diagnosis of monoclonal gammopathy (an elevated protein in my blood which can be the beginning of multiple myloma). My doctor numbed my hip with lydocaine and I can honestly say I did not feel a thing!! I was quite surprised, because my niece had leukemia and had to endure many of these which she said were terribly painful. So, for anyone facing a bone marrow biopsy, it can be done painlessly without sedation!!!

Comment from: Linda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I had a bone marrow biopsy done a few days ago. I was given an option to be put "under.” They told me to take 2 Tylenol. That did nothing for the pain during the procedure. Anyway, my doctor is diagnosing it as CML.

Comment from: NoPain, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I had a bone marrow biopsy today at the hospital due to a high white blood cell count. The nurses and doctors explained everything that would take place. I was put under a twilight type sleep. I did not feel a thing. I was taken to the recovery room, and was provided with lunch with husband by my side. I went home and am doing very well. I experienced no pain at all. I have a follow-up appointment with am oncologist in a week. I am expecting positive news.

Comment from: lil_jj, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 29

I had my first bone marrow biopsy and aspiration done today looking for a rare type of lymphoma. I live in Australia and by patient rights you must be sedated for the procedure. I was given a mixture of fentanyl and propofol so even that I was not rendered unconscious, but I was put into 'twilight sleep' (which to me was just like going to sleep anyway). The site is still numbed with local anesthesia so in theory it turned a what could of been a painful and traumatic event into an uneventful but painless event with no procedure recollection. I highly recommend that anyone going to have a BMB to be properly sedated. Good luck!

Comment from: Ray, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

I presented at the doctors with priapism and was admitted to hospital to correct the condition. While the procedure was taking place, bloods were taken to find a cause, and it was found that I had a high white blood cell count, which the initial prognosis was chronic myeloid leukemia It was quite a shock, then a bone marrow biopsy was taken to confirm this. There is quite a bit of pain in the hip region following the biopsy. I am presently waiting for the results. Scary going from apparently healthy otherwise to having leukemia.

Comment from: Arcadi, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

The biopsy was done in my doctor's office. The procedure itself is very painful. On top of it the doctor hit a nerve, and I saw the angels. It's already over 24 hour and I'm still in pain. It's lots of swelling and I'm using ice and Advil.

Comment from: Jennifer, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I had a bone marrow biopsy done today due to low platelet count. I found it very painful, but on the upside the pain dissipates as soon as it is done.

Must Read Articles Related to Bone Marrow Biopsy

Anemia
Anemia Anemia can be caused by many conditions and diseases such as iron deficiency, poor diet and nutrition, cancers, bone marrow problems, and more. Symptoms of anem...learn more >>
Lymphoma
Lymphoma Lymphoma is cancer of the ly...learn more >>
Myeloma
Myeloma Myeloma is a cancer of the plasma cells of the blood. Symptoms include early osteoporosis, hypercalcemia, hyperviscosity of the blood, low red and white blood c...learn more >>