Viewer Comments: Bone Marrow Biopsy - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bone Marrow Biopsy:

Bone Marrow Biopsy - Experience

Why did you have a bone marrow biopsy performed?

Comment from: NoPain, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I had a bone marrow biopsy today at the hospital due to a high white blood cell count. The nurses and doctors explained everything that would take place. I was put under a twilight type sleep. I did not feel a thing. I was taken to the recovery room, and was provided with lunch with husband by my side. I went home and am doing very well. I experienced no pain at all. I have a follow-up appointment with am oncologist in a week. I am expecting positive news.

Comment from: lil_jj, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 29

I had my first bone marrow biopsy and aspiration done today looking for a rare type of lymphoma. I live in Australia and by patient rights you must be sedated for the procedure. I was given a mixture of fentanyl and propofol so even that I was not rendered unconscious, but I was put into 'twilight sleep' (which to me was just like going to sleep anyway). The site is still numbed with local anesthesia so in theory it turned a what could of been a painful and traumatic event into an uneventful but painless event with no procedure recollection. I highly recommend that anyone going to have a BMB to be properly sedated. Good luck!

Comment from: Ray, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

I presented at the doctors with priapism and was admitted to hospital to correct the condition. While the procedure was taking place, bloods were taken to find a cause, and it was found that I had a high white blood cell count, which the initial prognosis was chronic myeloid leukemia It was quite a shock, then a bone marrow biopsy was taken to confirm this. There is quite a bit of pain in the hip region following the biopsy. I am presently waiting for the results. Scary going from apparently healthy otherwise to having leukemia.

Comment from: Arcadi, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

The biopsy was done in my doctor's office. The procedure itself is very painful. On top of it the doctor hit a nerve, and I saw the angels. It's already over 24 hour and I'm still in pain. It's lots of swelling and I'm using ice and Advil.

Comment from: Jennifer, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I had a bone marrow biopsy done today due to low platelet count. I found it very painful, but on the upside the pain dissipates as soon as it is done.

Comment from: tilly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I had a bone marrow biopsy a week ago and I can honestly say there was no pain I just felt a little scatch where they numbed my skin and a little pressure where they went in,I then drove to the shops (although I was ADVISED it was better if someone else drove)did my shopping and went home and all I had was a slight pain in my right leg for a couple of days.

Comment from: elisakaren, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I had a bone marrow biopsy one week ago due to anemia, high WBC count, and high platelet count. This was an extremely painful medical procedure for me. I still hurt a week later. In hindsight, I should have had a support person with me to walk with me to the lab after procedure, drive me home, etc. I also wish I would have been prepared for the intense amount of pain during and after procedure. I just wanted to share my experience, as I was ill-informed.

Comment from: Marie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I had a bone marrow biopsy done 12 days ago for definitive diagnosis of immune thrombocytopenic purpura. My platelets went down to 4 thousand. I still have a large bruise and pain. The healing is delayed due to low platelets. When I asked if I could drive home by myself I was told yes. Please inform anyone having this procedure that they will need a ride home. This is a very painful procedure.

Comment from: georgia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I had a bone marrow biopsy done today my white blood cells is out of sorts and is quiet high. I had a bone marrow biopsy done five years ago which came back and the doctor told me I have chronic lymphocytic disorder. Right now I am looking at doing chemo to put this disease in remission.

Comment from: sc, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 03

My husband had a bone marrow biopsy for high protein in his blood and anemia. It was quite painful.

Must Read Articles Related to Bone Marrow Biopsy

Anemia Anemia can be caused by many conditions and diseases such as iron deficiency, poor learn more >>
Lymphoma Lymphoma is cancer of the lymphatic system. Symptoms include fevers, chills, itching, enlarged spleen, and swollen lymph nodes. Treatment depends upon the type ...learn more >>
Myeloma Myeloma is a cancer of the plasma cells of the blood. Symptoms include early osteoporosis, hypercalcemia, hyperviscosity of the blood, low red and white blood c...learn more >>