Viewer Comments: Boxer's Fracture - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Boxer's Fracture:

Boxer's Fracture - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your boxer's fracture?

Comment from: Love to Ride, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I got a boxer's fracture from taking a header off my bike. I was firmly gripping the handlebars when I went down and the brake lever mashed my left hand. I had multiple cuts and abrasions on my knees and knuckles, cracked my bike helmet and banged up my knees. When my hand still hurt significantly after a week of icing and ibuprofen, I finally went to see an orthopedist. Now I have a splint which must stay on for three weeks.

Comment from: Gostem101, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: April 29

I got into a fight at school and right after felt a sharp pain under the joint, I looked and it was swollen. I went to the ER and they said it wasn't swelling -- that it was actually the bone pressing against my skin. I have surgery tomorrow and if it doesn't stay I'll have it pinned.

Comment from: LorenaHdez, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I ended with boxer's fracture on my ring and pinky fingers on my right hand. I did experience pain and swelling but did not think it was fractured. Not until 4 days later did I start thinking it might be fractured. The swelling did improve but the pain got worse. I was not able to move those two fingers and noticed that my knuckles were not visible when I tried to make a fist. Now I have a cast for a few weeks.

Comment from: chris, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 10

I suffered a boxer's fracture at the fifth metacarpal area and needed a pin through my knuckle. The doctor did not feel I needed that and simply casted the hand and sent me through physical therapy. We'll see how that goes. I now have no knuckle and can't move my pinky finger much.

Comment from: Staysee, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I have a boxer's fracture of the fifth metacarpal. I have one day to decide if I want to have surgery or just have a cast put on it. The doctor told me that if I don't have surgery, I might lose the use of my knuckle and my pinky finger will curve toward my thumb when I make a fist.

Must Read Articles Related to Boxer's Fracture