Viewer Comments: Brain Cancer - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Brain Cancer:

Brain Cancer - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your brain cancer?

Comment from: sponrunner, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

I have suspected brain cancer. I have been advised that a biopsy will probably rob me of my power of speech so it will be the last resort. I have had 5 MRI scans which reveal a swelling of the brain from behind my left ear towards the rear of my head. No tumor is visible at this stage. I suffer sporadic memory loss such as how to operate the TV remote control, names of friends etc. I have a vague ache on both sides of the head which is not troublesome. My more or less hourly attacks of arm and hand trembling and sometimes inability to speak coherently are well controlled with medication. I am due for another MRI scan in 3 weeks time to hopefully find certainty one way or the other. Looking back I discern the problem starting about 3 or 4 months ago with sudden onset of sexual problems (slowness to achieve orgasm) coupled with startling and unusual difficulty in recalling information. About 3 weeks ago I started to wake at night with unexplained terror attacks which were later followed by feeling of nausea and arm and hand trembling (approximately 1 or 2 minutes) which increased dramatically from one per night to 7 or 8 per day until controlled with medication.

Comment from: Erika, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 16

My mother had breast cancer, clear for 5 years, then she complained of a sore hip, X-ray revealed cancer all over her lateral bones and skull. 3 weeks ago my mother collapsed thought she had a stroke, had no balance, dizzy when walking, pain in her legs, she had some hearing loss and her gait was irregular, also numb around her mouth. After an MRI discovered the cancer has moved into to the fluid sac around her brain and the spinal cord fluid. She is 71.

Comment from: mamalane_02@hotmail., 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 01

My husband is 47 yrs old as myself. He started having symptoms over about 1 and a half ago. He had been blacking out, having weakness in his legs, trembling of legs, tiredness, headaches, at the end of the day. Then one day, he and our son were out riding dirt bikes together, and my husband fell on the bike and had a helmet on but hit his head so hard, that the helmet came off. After 2 weeks of a headache every day, he went to the hospital to then found out he had a tumor, we then got further testing to show he also had a cyst right beside it. Needless to say, he then had to have brain surgery for 8 hrs to remove 90% of the tumor because the rest is attached to the brain and cause serious issues. He is taking it very hard emotionally-no work, driving, tired, angry, scared! He has started radiation and has been only going 8 days-small blister at radiation spot, but 99% aloe vera gel is great. He will be starting oral chemo soon and has radiation for 33 days. He has been a trooper through the hole process since September, especially because there have been lots of issues at one time.

Comment from: sisterlylove, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 16

I had attacks of severe headaches and just prior to these headaches, I was slightly disoriented and my arms and hands would tremble. These attacks would last anywhere from 30 seconds to three minutes. It was four or five months later that I was diagnosed with brain cancer.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 09

My dad has been suffering from Leukemia since February, 2009. Around November, he was diagnosed with throat cancer. Then on Mother's Day we discovered the throat cancer moved into his stomach. He started chemotherapy and the cancer counts were cut down by almost half after 2 months of treatment. About one month after finding out his cancer was diminishing, he had bad headaches. He immediately went to the eye doctor; they didn't find anything wrong. Then he went to his doctor and had an MRI and CAT scan. They didn't find anything. That was two weeks ago. Earlier this week he had another CAT scan and they found brain cancer. He had been suffering with headaches, loss of balance, diminished concentration, loss of appetite, you name it-he felt it. He has been so miserable the last 3 weeks.

Comment from: meladan55, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 30

My husband complained of memory lapses twice in three days. We thought he might be having mini-strokes. On the fourth day, he was diagnosed with glioblastoma multiforme, grade 4. On the tenth day, he had a resection and is now, 2 months later, finishing up round one of radiation and chemotherapy. We are hopeful but not overly optimistic. Memory loss was his only symptom.

Comment from: sad1, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 20

My father had strokes, headaches and memory issues that include memory loss, didn't make sense of conversations, gave incorrect info and was more direct and upfront with answers or conversations. He first had stage 4 lung cancer and beat that. Then the cancer moved to the brain. He underwent radiation and six weeks later, the cancer was back and more aggressive. He is now home with hospice.

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Brain Cancer:

Brain Cancer - Prognosis

What is the prognosis for your brain cancer?

Brain Cancer - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for brain cancer?