Viewer Comments: Brain Cancer - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Brain Cancer:

Brain Cancer - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your brain cancer?

Comment from: Ike, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 18

My mom has been in a coma for 2 weeks now, she had been showing the signs of brain cancer in the past months but it went undetected by her. I wish I knew because maybe we could have caught it sooner. My mom in her lifetime has battled cancer consistently. First it was thyroid cancer, then bone marrow cancer due to cells and scar tissue left from the thyroid cancer. Then breast cancer which we just battled and won last year and now this. She was just checked this June and the oncologist stated that she was cancer free but they did not do a full body PET/CAT scan, just from the chest down so the brain cancer went undetected. Since March she complained of headaches, feeling weak, lack of balance, being out of breath and feeling like she was having a heart attack. The doctors would do the vital checks and everything looked good so they diagnosed her as having anxiety attacks and prescribed Paxil to ease the attacks but the body kept breaking down and I just wish I knew to research the brain cancer symptoms before. It pains me because I love my mom and it has always been her and I together. Life without her now just seems void.

Comment from: claram, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 02

My mum is 58 and had cancer of the kidney and adrenal gland 3 and a half years ago. On June 1st 2009 she was diagnosed with brain cancer. She has had major brain surgery and is now deteriorating rapidly. Two weeks ago she was rushed into hospital when my father was unable to wake her. She was in a coma for 28 hours, she suffered 3 seizures. She has now been released from hospital and has moved in with myself and my partner of 10 years as my father, 63, is unable to cope. It's hard now and I know things will get harder but she has me to take care of her they way she has always taken care of me.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I had surgery for a primary brain cancer on July 1. The doctors were amazed at the size of the tumor. My surgeon told me she would not be able to resection all of the tumor because a part of it was in the vial areas. The surgery was ten hours. My final path report showed the remaining tumor had P1 and Q19 markers which means the tumor will not respond to chemo. I am about to start radiation.

Comment from: Michele S, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I am a 38 year old woman who was diagnosed with a grade II Astrocytoma in my left temporal lobe about six months ago. For several years I had symptoms such as severe nausea, with feelings that I was going to faint or black out, some headache, depression, disorientation with time. Unfortunately the feelings were so vague that I was able to go for several years without being diagnosed, I was only lucky that the tumor had only reached grade II, which is slow growing. I was diagnosed after I woke up one morning and had numbness on the right side of my body. I have had a partial surgical resection and stereotactic radio surgery. Now, I suffer from spells where I feel disoriented and confused, the right side of my body will still feel numb and tingly, headache, dizziness. I am still waiting on the results of the radio surgery, which could take up to a year. Other than having a brain tumor, I'm healthy!

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Brain Cancer:

Brain Cancer - Prognosis

What is the prognosis for your brain cancer?