Viewer Comments: Brain Cancer - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Brain Cancer:

Brain Cancer - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your brain cancer?

Comment from: brklyrswife, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 17

My husband age 57 never sick in his life. One day his right side face drooped, then speech started to go the next day we thought it was a mini stroke. He went for MRI then like a whirl wind he was scheduled for biopsy. The say before biopsy he could no longer sign his name with his right hand. They found PCNS Lymphoma B-Cell cancer in the frontal lobe of his brain. 4 session of methotrexate chemo and following up with radiation. So far his drooping face almost back to normal, speech is better and can sign his name again.

Comment from: Nikki, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I was 27 yrs old, and my symptoms started with a lingering headaches, and pressure in my head. I would feel as though my head was going to explode. I went to my general practitioner and all she did was check my eyes and pushed it off as Migraines, and stress. It wasn't till I ended up in Hospital after having a seizure (unconscious for about fifteen minutes), did I end up finding out after Ihad an MRI done that I had a Brain tumor. I had the Tumor removed but ended up being paralyzed on one side of my body. I had to go through much therapy to learn how to walk, use my arms, balance and every other routine thing. I was like a baby learning how to write and tie laces everything you could think of. My tumor was benign but now in my most recent MRI the area surrounding where the tumor is, is going white.They are unsure as to what this area is portraying. They don't know if it is residual tumor, or what. If anyone has any insight or has been through anything similar it would be very helpful to hear your comments.

Comment from: Tara, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 28

My mother didn't not have any symptoms. She is extremely healthy...exercises every day, never smoked, never drinks alcohol, no family history of cancer. She just had a seizure one night and that was the beginning of her diagnosis. At first the doctors thought it was a stroke, then encephalitis, then finally they discovered a tumor. She had surgery to remove it but they were not able to remove all of it, then the biopsy came back as Stage 4 Brain cancer.

Comment from: Sue, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I am 53 years old and have had Epilepsy since the age of 11 but the medics have been trying many different combinations of drugs to control the seizures throughout my life. It wasn't until my optician picked up on some visual field loss caused by long term use of Sabril that she recommended that I be put back in contact with a specialist again. By this time, it was possible to have an MRI scan which was previously unavailable. This picked up a tumor on my right temporal lobe area. They are keeping a regular check on it to make sure its not getting larger, but the epilepsy still occurs and I'm too frightened to have the tumor removed as its uncertain what other faculties might be interfered with.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 27

My dad (73) has been diagnosed with a grade 4 brain tumor. He had his biopsy, and it is the worst form he could have. He had a small dose of radiation therapy, more for quality of life than to ease the swelling. Nothing more can be done for him, and we are still in shock as our dad had no previous symptoms. He was rarely sick. He did have stroke-like symptoms that were diagnosed when he went to the doctor, but as the symptoms got worse, his doctor referred him to the hospital. In his case, he did not suffer with any pain or headaches. So it goes to show, symptoms are not always present.

Comment from: Bertha, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

My name is. I had been getting really bad headaches. I started feeling my nerves acting up on my right side of my body. I went to my room to reach for something, but when I walked in my front room I had a seizure. I fell on my left side biting down on my lip. I was bleeding but I didn't felt anything! I got to the hospital and didn't expect the news: I have three tumors in the brain. I underwent two surgeries. I am about 80% better, but I miss being 100%.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I had severed neck and pain and severe pain in the back of my head.

Comment from: very sad daughter, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 07

My father in law has been fighting cancer for the past 12 years. It started as skin cancer (he was a roofer by trade). The cancer then travelled thought to his liver and spotting on his lungs, he was given just six months to live in 2010. He was given a life line called Avastin after the chemo failed to help. This drug managed to shrink the cancer, and he has had regular body scans but never a brain scan. Two weeks ago he started to get severe headaches, loss of balance and now muddled speech. We have been at the hospital all day after an emergency scan and we are awaiting the results which we are told we will get in the morning. We love him with all our hearts. He is the head of our family and never ever moans.

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Brain Cancer:

Brain Cancer - Prognosis

What is the prognosis for your brain cancer?

Brain Cancer - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for brain cancer?