Viewer Comments: Brain Cancer - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Brain Cancer:

Brain Cancer - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your brain cancer?

Comment from: Bob, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 11

I was diagnosed at age 44 with stage II brain cancer after losing coordination of my left side motor skills and having a seizure. The tumor was removed and I underwent radiation and chemotherapy. Things went back to normal for a couple of years until small seizures and signs of a small tumor reappeared (via MRI). Upon my second operation at age 48 I was diagnosed as having stage III (anaplastic astrocytoma). I again went through radiation and chemotherapy. Things were fine for about 6 months and then I started losing my left motor skills again. Things have stabilized, but have not returned to normal after extensive therapy. I do continue to work and drive. Best of all I just remarried and have returned from my honeymoon in Bermuda. While life (my body and mind) will not be the same I do find ways to survive. I am currently 51 and am on a maintenance drug called Avastin. While it does not attack cancer, it does prevent a tumor from re-growing so far.

Comment from: jaybee, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: February 04

The nice lady I look after 24 hours a day has some not so great symptoms of brain cancer. Her eye gets puffy, she feels like her one side of her head has a great deal of pressure, and there was a slight numbness. Her doctor does not take her seriously because of her age maybe. I will say to everyone out there if your doctor sends you home without checking out your symptoms and you find you have brain cancer, please take action against these doctors, this will be the only way doctors will thoroughly check a patient out, instead of hustling the patient out of the room as fast as possible.

Comment from: brklyrswife, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 17

My husband age 57 never sick in his life. One day his right side face drooped, then speech started to go the next day we thought it was a mini stroke. He went for MRI then like a whirl wind he was scheduled for biopsy. The say before biopsy he could no longer sign his name with his right hand. They found PCNS Lymphoma B-Cell cancer in the frontal lobe of his brain. 4 session of methotrexate chemo and following up with radiation. So far his drooping face almost back to normal, speech is better and can sign his name again.

Comment from: Nikki, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I was 27 yrs old, and my symptoms started with a lingering headaches, and pressure in my head. I would feel as though my head was going to explode. I went to my general practitioner and all she did was check my eyes and pushed it off as Migraines, and stress. It wasn't till I ended up in Hospital after having a seizure (unconscious for about fifteen minutes), did I end up finding out after Ihad an MRI done that I had a Brain tumor. I had the Tumor removed but ended up being paralyzed on one side of my body. I had to go through much therapy to learn how to walk, use my arms, balance and every other routine thing. I was like a baby learning how to write and tie laces everything you could think of. My tumor was benign but now in my most recent MRI the area surrounding where the tumor is, is going white.They are unsure as to what this area is portraying. They don't know if it is residual tumor, or what. If anyone has any insight or has been through anything similar it would be very helpful to hear your comments.

Comment from: Tara, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 28

My mother didn't not have any symptoms. She is extremely healthy...exercises every day, never smoked, never drinks alcohol, no family history of cancer. She just had a seizure one night and that was the beginning of her diagnosis. At first the doctors thought it was a stroke, then encephalitis, then finally they discovered a tumor. She had surgery to remove it but they were not able to remove all of it, then the biopsy came back as Stage 4 Brain cancer.

Comment from: Sue, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I am 53 years old and have had Epilepsy since the age of 11 but the medics have been trying many different combinations of drugs to control the seizures throughout my life. It wasn't until my optician picked up on some visual field loss caused by long term use of Sabril that she recommended that I be put back in contact with a specialist again. By this time, it was possible to have an MRI scan which was previously unavailable. This picked up a tumor on my right temporal lobe area. They are keeping a regular check on it to make sure its not getting larger, but the epilepsy still occurs and I'm too frightened to have the tumor removed as its uncertain what other faculties might be interfered with.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 27

My dad (73) has been diagnosed with a grade 4 brain tumor. He had his biopsy, and it is the worst form he could have. He had a small dose of radiation therapy, more for quality of life than to ease the swelling. Nothing more can be done for him, and we are still in shock as our dad had no previous symptoms. He was rarely sick. He did have stroke-like symptoms that were diagnosed when he went to the doctor, but as the symptoms got worse, his doctor referred him to the hospital. In his case, he did not suffer with any pain or headaches. So it goes to show, symptoms are not always present.

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Brain Cancer:

Brain Cancer - Prognosis

What is the prognosis for your brain cancer?

Brain Cancer - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for brain cancer?