Viewer Comments: Brain Cancer - Prognosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Brain Cancer:

Brain Cancer - Prognosis

What is the prognosis for your brain cancer?

Comment from: Kt777, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I am a 54 year-old female. I have been in excellent health my whole life. A few years ago I lost my sense of smell. When I was 52 I lost 75% of my vision in two months. I was told I needed glasses but was misdiagnosed. A doctor gave me an MRI and it revealed a giant (7cm) meningioma brain tumor that was stretching my optic nerves out and encasing my carotid arteries. I was told by a neurosurgeon that if I did not have surgery immediately I would be blind and crippled within six months. I had surgery and got my sight back and I was not crippled. My tumor was benign. I am very lucky to have had such excellent doctors. Please, please if any of you are having loss of smell or vision go get an MRI. I am very lucky I did not drop dead.

Comment from: Andrea, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

In Sept 1998 I was diagnosed with a malignant tumor in my right temporal lobe. I received many devastating prognoses. Some docs said 6 months, some 1 year. After surgery, the radiologist called it an anaplastic astrocytoma and the surgeon said I had 8-10 years to live. Shortly after that, the Cancer Institute in my area disagreed and called it a glioblastoma multiforme, and considering that I was 35 and in otherwise excellent health, gave me a 2-4 year prognosis. I then did radiation and chemotherapy. In September 2012 it will be 14 years without a recurrence.

Comment from: Steve, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 19

In 2006 my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer. She had a mastectomy to her right breast and was treated with chemotherapy for 2 years. All went well. Then in 2010 she had a pain in her left hand, ribs, and she went to the doctors and he said that she had fractured a rib. Four weeks had passed but the pain was still there. The doctor sent her to the hospital for a scan and it revealed that cancer had spread to her bones. It also showed on the scan that cancer spread to her lungs, liver, kidneys. They gave her chemotherapy for six months. She had another scan, and this showed that the cancer had spread to her brain. They gave her radiotherapy, but none of it worked and was discharged from hospital as nothing more could be done. She is now in a hospital bed in the living room at home, with medical treatment everyday. To see your wife go though this is so painful. For a woman who was very active and then is bed ridden, can't speak properly, has black outs, didn't want my wife to go through this. I wished it would all end soon. I don't mean this in a bad way. I mean it as I don't want her to suffer. I feel so sorry for anyone who has to go through this like me and my family have. I will miss my wife very much as we have been married for 34 years all from a blind date. My life will never be the same when she's gone.

Comment from: Marie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I'm a 62 years old female and on March 22, 2011 I had brain surgery to remove a brain tumor on my right side of my brain. My cancer originated in the lung and spread to my head. I never smoked in my life so the shock of stage 4 lung cancer caused me much concern. It's now a year later and I'm still here. I did three rounds of chemo but now I am taking Tarceva. So far so good. However, I do not eat anything with sugar or fake sugars like equal etc. I eat a lot of green vegetables and I use a juicer almost on a daily basis. I am not saying that I am doing the right thing--all I am saying do some research on cancer and nutrition. Stay away from processed food. If you read the label and need a dictionary to understand the ingredients, do not eat it. Good luck to all of us.

Comment from: NotaStatistic, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 17

My husband was diagnosed at the age of 35 with a primary brain tumor. He is now 46, and still works, drives, and is having a good life. Trying to generic prognosis on brain tumors is almost impossible as there are so many factors including: type, location, surgical removal results, general health, viable treatments and attitude! The list goes on and on. I wish I had understood that when I was 30 rather than scaring myself with statistics.

Comment from: vickiv, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 15

My husband had brain tumor surgery in July 2005 with a 1-2 year prognosis. Seven years later, I'm hoping for another seven years with him.

Comment from: darren, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 29

My best friend was admitted to hospital yesterday after suffering terrible headaches. A scan has revieled a tumor the size of a tennis ball. He will have surgery tomorrow morning. It has all been so fast and very emotional. His initial prognosis is he may have 12 to 18 months to live. Hes 44.

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Brain Cancer:

Brain Cancer - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your brain cancer?

Brain Cancer - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for brain cancer?