Viewer Comments: Breast Cancer - How Was It Detected

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Breast Cancer:

Breast Cancer - How Was It Detected

How was your breast cancer detected?

Comment from: Bon Chance, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

IDC of 2 - 3 millimeters detected through routine bi-annual mammogram.

Comment from: Christiane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I noticed that my right nipple was pulling in or seemed inverted, so I saw my gynecologist and she sent me for a mammogram, then ultrasound, then biopsy which confirmed a diagnosis of ductal carcinoma stage 2. I had a mastectomy on my right side and chemotherapy for four months and am continuing Herceptin infusions and hormone therapy now. The prognosis is very good.

Comment from: peggy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have stage IV metastatic breast cancer: (HER2 positive, very aggressive.) I personally found lump in right breast. Then I had a mammogram, biopsy then diagnosis. There were several tests and scans, port placement and chemotherapy and Herceptin treatment started within 2 weeks of diagnosis.

Comment from: Scarlet, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I found a lump on a routine self-exam.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

My breast cancer was detected solely through a mammogram. There was no pain, and my lump could not be felt by four doctors. I was a lucky one having a lumpectomy and radiation. My numbers came back good enough that I did not need chemo. I have been cancer free for exactly one year. Other that taking tamoxifen and having a small scar on my left breast, you would never know anything about the problem. Never a hot flash...or anything.

Comment from: Debbie S, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I felt a lump in my breast only 1 month after I got a clean mammogram. An ultrasound and biopsy revealed it was cancer.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

My breast cancer was detected in my annual mammogram screening. They really do work.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

My breast cancer was diagnosed after I felt a lump and asked for a biopsy. I had been getting yearly mammograms that were always negative, even after I felt the lump. I also had an ultrasound after detecting the lump that did not show anything. Nobody told me to get a biopsy and I didn't know to ask about an MRI. I waited almost 4 more months before calling back my doctor and asking for a biopsy. I had 5 different spots of cancer bilaterally and 2 positive lymph nodes. I didn't know until all this how unreliable mammograms could be.

Comment from: pipley, 55-64 (Patient) Published: November 02

Breast cancer was detected by the mammogram. I couldn't not feel it myself, and it was not detected by a breast exam by the doctor a couple of weeks before the mammogram.

Comment from: Fwance, 55-64 Female Published: October 12

My breast cancer was diagnosed from a mammogram when I was 40 yrs. old. Calcifications showed up which they decided to biopsy. There was a small intraductal carcinoma insitu. It has been 16 yrs. since-cancer free. I chose to have a simple mastectomy with tram flap reconstruction.

Must Read Articles Related to Breast Cancer

Breast Lumps and Pain
Breast Lumps and Pain Breast changes are common. From the time a girl begins to develop breasts and begins menstruating and throughout life, women may experience various kinds of bre...learn more >>
Breast Reconstruction
Breast Reconstruction Breast reconstruction is surgery to restore the breast of women after mastectomy (removal of the breast). Breast reconstruction may involve implants or using th...learn more >>
Breast Self-Exam
Breast Self-Exam Monthly breast self-examinations (BSE) have not been shown to reduce the risk of dying from breast cancer. However, a monthly breast self-exam is important for ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Breast Cancer:

Breast Cancer - Treatment

What was the treatment for your breast cancer?

Breast Cancer - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your breast cancer?