Breast Infection Topic Guide
Breast Lumps and Pain Breast changes are common. From the time a girl begins to develop breasts and begins menstruating and throughout life, women may experience various kinds of breast pain and other breast changes. Causes of pain and lumps can include
If you have a lump in your breast, your doctor will check for various possible causes.
- fibrocystic breast disease,
- premenstrual syndrome, cyclic mastalgia,
- normal hormonal fluctuations,
- onset of puberty or menopause,
- breastfeeding (nursing),
- estrogen therapy,
- chest wall tenderness (costochondritis),
- injury to the breast (trauma, after breast surgery),
- shingles (pain is only in 1 breast, usually accompanied by a rash),
- use of certain medications such as digoxin (Lanoxin), methyldopa (Aldomet), spironolactone (Aldactone), oxymetholone (Anadrol), and chlorpromazine (Thorazine),
- an infection in the breast (breast abscess, mastitis), and
- breast cancer.