Viewer Comments: Breast Infection - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Breast Infection:

Breast Infection - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your breast infection and what was the treatment?

Comment from: 25-34 Female Published: November 05

One night my right breast was really sore to the touch and I felt lumps around the breast area and under the nipple I was scared. That same week I went to see my doctor and he told me it was a breast infection so he gave me antibiotics and after two weeks of taking it the symptoms went away.

Comment from: Cor1Pai2, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I am a 29 year-old mother of two. I first began to have soreness in my right breast. My first thought was that I might have slept wrong but I knew that wasn't the case when I nursed my 17-month-old daughter from that side. Later in the day, I began to feel like I was getting a cold or the flu. My body began to ache. I noticed it in my hands and wrists at first. I began to feel the aches all over and started to get the chills. My breast by that time was so tender it hurt to go up and down stairs or even wear a seatbelt. I was hot to the touch and when I lifted my shirt in the mirror I could see redness. It looked like a rash of sorts. That's when I decided to go to the doctor. He then prescribed antibiotics.

Comment from: nattiebell, 45-54 Female Published: July 11

The area around my right nipple started becoming painful which I just associated with my menstrual cycle. Over time, I notice a lump near the nipple about the size of pea. The night before my appointment with a breast surgeon, I took a hot shower and while drying off, I notice a leakage from the area. As I pressed down, an enormous amount of pus started draining out from the area (and it was a lot!!!) The surgeon opened the area a little more and packed it with bandage. I had to continue to pack this incision for approximately one week. Since this time, there are times when I notice a small leakage from the side of the right nipple. I've had mammograms every year, and there have been no problems.

Comment from: lorellen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I noticed a red area about the size of a half dollar on my right breast just below the areola. By the end of the day there was a red steak going towards the center of my chest. I went to the doctor the following day and he put me on antibiotics. I was achy and feverish 2 nights in a row. Have been on the meds 4 days and the redness is diminishing but now I feel a hard lump under the skin - almost like a boil. It doesn't hurt. I'm 53 so not I'm breast feeding! I'm going back next week for a follow up.

Comment from: mupish, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I had mastitis with my first born, and did not take anything for it, though it was pretty mild. I drank a lot of water, rested and used baths/showers, hot pads and cold cabbage leaves. I have had mastitis twice with my second son, and have noticed a pattern in my diet, the more fatty foods or generally unhealthy foods I eat is when the problem occurs. Stress also seems to be a factor. I have not taken antibiotics yet, but if the problems persist I will.

Comment from: laura c, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

I started having some symptoms 6 weeks after my delivery. I first developed fever and subsequently discovered an inflammation on my breast. The breast feels warm and itchy inside. I breastfed my baby on one breast because one nipple is more cracked than the other, that was actually the cause of my mastitis. My doctor advised me to keep breastfeeding from both breast equally and also administered Flagyl and ibuprofen I decided to express manually to unclog the pores faster since the content of the breast is thick and gummy. It was a painful experience but I was completely healed after a week and my breast is as good as new.

Comment from: Marcia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I must have what you call chronic mastitis. I am 68 years old and have had chemo and radiation therapy. I am almost done with radiation treatments and all of a sudden I get this horrible swelling of my left breast with pain, redness, and warmth. I had a fever, chills, extreme fatigue, and just didn't feel well at all. I went to the doctor and finally found out that I had mastitis. They put me on an antibiotic and this is my second dose. I am slowly getting better, but it is taking a long time. After two weeks, I still have pain, redness and I am still tired. This is not what I read from the other people who just have a small lump or small mastitis.

Must Read Articles Related to Breast Infection

Breast Lumps and Pain
Breast Lumps and Pain Breast changes are common. From the time a girl begins to develop breasts and begins menstruating and throughout life, women may experience various kinds of bre...learn more >>
Breastfeeding
Breastfeeding Breastfeeding or bott...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Breast Infection:

Breast Infection - Cause

What was the cause of your breast infection?