Viewer Comments: Breast Infection - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Breast Infection:

Breast Infection - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your breast infection and what was the treatment?

Comment from: lorellen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I noticed a red area about the size of a half dollar on my right breast just below the areola. By the end of the day there was a red steak going towards the center of my chest. I went to the doctor the following day and he put me on antibiotics. I was achy and feverish 2 nights in a row. Have been on the meds 4 days and the redness is diminishing but now I feel a hard lump under the skin - almost like a boil. It doesn't hurt. I'm 53 so not I'm breast feeding! I'm going back next week for a follow up.

Comment from: mupish, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I had mastitis with my first born, and did not take anything for it, though it was pretty mild. I drank a lot of water, rested and used baths/showers, hot pads and cold cabbage leaves. I have had mastitis twice with my second son, and have noticed a pattern in my diet, the more fatty foods or generally unhealthy foods I eat is when the problem occurs. Stress also seems to be a factor. I have not taken antibiotics yet, but if the problems persist I will.

Comment from: laura c, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

I started having some symptoms 6 weeks after my delivery. I first developed fever and subsequently discovered an inflammation on my breast. The breast feels warm and itchy inside. I breastfed my baby on one breast because one nipple is more cracked than the other, that was actually the cause of my mastitis. My doctor advised me to keep breastfeeding from both breast equally and also administered Flagyl and ibuprofen I decided to express manually to unclog the pores faster since the content of the breast is thick and gummy. It was a painful experience but I was completely healed after a week and my breast is as good as new.

Comment from: Marcia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I must have what you call chronic mastitis. I am 68 years old and have had chemo and radiation therapy. I am almost done with radiation treatments and all of a sudden I get this horrible swelling of my left breast with pain, redness, and warmth. I had a fever, chills, extreme fatigue, and just didn't feel well at all. I went to the doctor and finally found out that I had mastitis. They put me on an antibiotic and this is my second dose. I am slowly getting better, but it is taking a long time. After two weeks, I still have pain, redness and I am still tired. This is not what I read from the other people who just have a small lump or small mastitis.

Must Read Articles Related to Breast Infection

Breast Lumps and Pain
Breast Lumps and Pain Breast changes are common. From the time a girl begins to develop breasts and begins menstruating and throughout life, women may experience various kinds of bre...learn more >>
Breastfeeding
Breastfeeding Breastfeeding or bottle feeding your newborn baby is a personal decision. If you choose to breastfeed, it will be helpful if you are in a supportive environment...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Breast Infection:

Breast Infection - Cause

What was the cause of your breast infection?