Viewer Comments: Breast Infection - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Breast Infection:

Breast Infection - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your breast infection and what was the treatment?

Comment from: fifisue, 35-44 Female Published: July 30

One morning, I woke up with a very painful breast. I found a very large lump and the area where the lump was located was very sore. The pain became unbearable. I went to the doctor and I was diagnosed with mastitis. I was issued a 7-day course of antibiotics and told to come back in a week to ensure there was no lump left. Within a week, the pain was gone, but I was left with a dull ache. I'm okay now, but I urge any woman who suspects she has this condition to try not to panic and to seek medical attention at once.

Comment from: HB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I have been suffering from mastitis for seven and a half years: since I was 50. For 3 it was unbearable and I could not even sleep lying down, every movement was agony. I was not menopausal but thanks to 3 years of taking depa provera my body thought I was - a few weeks after being told I was well into menopause, my periods returned! I was never prescribed antibiotics for this problem. The best relief I got was from acupuncture and eventually the pain became cyclical and now occurs (and lasts for c 2 weeks) every time I try virtually any physical exercise. I will now insist that my doctor give me antibiotics to see if that will at least alleviate the symptoms.

Comment from: lilmax1956, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

Extreme pain and burning in my right breast, leaking out the nipple, warm to the touch, and extremely sore nipple. I was given 100 mil. doxycyclene twice a day for 10 days. This was my 2nd infection in my right breast after having an abscess removed a year ago. I am in menopause and have type II diabetes which is under control.

Comment from: catnip, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I had 2 bouts of right breast mastitis 2 months apart. First time had fever, fatigue, red breast from nipple to halfway up. In hospital for 4 days on antibiotics, went home with clindamycin for 10 days having a reaction to it on the last day of treatment. Returned 2 months later (red breast) but had not progressed to fever or fatigue yet. In hospital for 24hrs and sent home on a course of amoxicillen for 14days. Mammo and ultrasound negative. No apparent cause for infection.

Comment from: 25-34 Female Published: November 05

One night my right breast was really sore to the touch and I felt lumps around the breast area and under the nipple I was scared. That same week I went to see my doctor and he told me it was a breast infection so he gave me antibiotics and after two weeks of taking it the symptoms went away.

Comment from: Cor1Pai2, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I am a 29 year-old mother of two. I first began to have soreness in my right breast. My first thought was that I might have slept wrong but I knew that wasn't the case when I nursed my 17-month-old daughter from that side. Later in the day, I began to feel like I was getting a cold or the flu. My body began to ache. I noticed it in my hands and wrists at first. I began to feel the aches all over and started to get the chills. My breast by that time was so tender it hurt to go up and down stairs or even wear a seatbelt. I was hot to the touch and when I lifted my shirt in the mirror I could see redness. It looked like a rash of sorts. That's when I decided to go to the doctor. He then prescribed antibiotics.

Comment from: nattiebell, 45-54 Female Published: July 11

The area around my right nipple started becoming painful which I just associated with my menstrual cycle. Over time, I notice a lump near the nipple about the size of pea. The night before my appointment with a breast surgeon, I took a hot shower and while drying off, I notice a leakage from the area. As I pressed down, an enormous amount of pus started draining out from the area (and it was a lot!!!) The surgeon opened the area a little more and packed it with bandage. I had to continue to pack this incision for approximately one week. Since this time, there are times when I notice a small leakage from the side of the right nipple. I've had mammograms every year, and there have been no problems.

Comment from: lorellen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I noticed a red area about the size of a half dollar on my right breast just below the areola. By the end of the day there was a red steak going towards the center of my chest. I went to the doctor the following day and he put me on antibiotics. I was achy and feverish 2 nights in a row. Have been on the meds 4 days and the redness is diminishing but now I feel a hard lump under the skin - almost like a boil. It doesn't hurt. I'm 53 so not I'm breast feeding! I'm going back next week for a follow up.

Must Read Articles Related to Breast Infection

Breast Lumps and Pain
Breast Lumps and Pain Breast changes are common. From the time a girl begins to develop breasts and begins menstruating and throughout life, women may experience various kinds of bre...learn more >>
Breastfeeding
Breastfeeding Breastfeeding or bottle feeding your newborn baby is a personal decision. If you choose to breastfeed, it will be helpful if you are in a supportive environment...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Breast Infection:

Breast Infection - Cause

What was the cause of your breast infection?