Viewer Comments: Breast Infection - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Breast Infection:

Breast Infection - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your breast infection and what was the treatment?

Comment from: taylor, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

In March 2014 my breast became quite painful and very hot. The nipple was enlarged and my breast resembled an overripe tomato. A needle biopsy and a mammogram were done. I was then scheduled for outpatient surgery and the breast, containing a large amount of pus, was drained. The incision was left open to heal naturally. By September I had contracted pneumonia and the breast had filled again. After spending 2 weeks in hospital being treated for pneumonia, my breast was again drained and incision was stitched, leaving just a small ¼ inch tube near nipple. The day I left hospital the tube was removed and the area stitched. That incision has never healed and I often find my night clothes and sheets speckled with blood. I have also spent the past 12 months on oral antibiotics. I experience incredible pain that radiates from the breast, under my arm or down my arm and occasionally pain spreads to other breast. I had an ultrasound done last week and fortunately it did not show any masses. The doctor has offered me two choices; admit me to hospital for a series of intramuscular antibiotics or remove the breast. One side effect to all the antibiotics was the fact that numerous teeth crumbled and I was admitted to hospital, put under general anesthesia and 5 teeth removed. As I suffer from COPD general anesthesia is not the best option but we shall see what my doctor says next week.

Comment from: fifisue, 35-44 Female Published: July 30

One morning, I woke up with a very painful breast. I found a very large lump and the area where the lump was located was very sore. The pain became unbearable. I went to the doctor and I was diagnosed with mastitis. I was issued a 7-day course of antibiotics and told to come back in a week to ensure there was no lump left. Within a week, the pain was gone, but I was left with a dull ache. I'm okay now, but I urge any woman who suspects she has this condition to try not to panic and to seek medical attention at once.

Comment from: HB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I have been suffering from mastitis for seven and a half years: since I was 50. For 3 it was unbearable and I could not even sleep lying down, every movement was agony. I was not menopausal but thanks to 3 years of taking depa provera my body thought I was - a few weeks after being told I was well into menopause, my periods returned! I was never prescribed antibiotics for this problem. The best relief I got was from acupuncture and eventually the pain became cyclical and now occurs (and lasts for c 2 weeks) every time I try virtually any physical exercise. I will now insist that my doctor give me antibiotics to see if that will at least alleviate the symptoms.

Comment from: lilmax1956, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

Extreme pain and burning in my right breast, leaking out the nipple, warm to the touch, and extremely sore nipple. I was given 100 mil. doxycyclene twice a day for 10 days. This was my 2nd infection in my right breast after having an abscess removed a year ago. I am in menopause and have type II diabetes which is under control.

Comment from: Nightingale, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 21

My 13-year-old daughter came to me yesterday and said that she had a half-dollar size lump under her areola on her left breast and that it was hurting. I thought maybe it was just part of breast development, but when she told me later that night that the skin was red and hot, I got worried. We went to the doctor today and were told that it's an infection. The doctor prescribed Augmentin and outlined the redness. He told us to make sure it didn't get bigger or we'd have to take my daughter in for IV antibiotics. After one pill the redness seems to be diminishing. My lesson was to ask more questions rather than just assume it's puberty with a teenage girl.

Comment from: catnip, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I had 2 bouts of right breast mastitis 2 months apart. First time had fever, fatigue, red breast from nipple to halfway up. In hospital for 4 days on antibiotics, went home with clindamycin for 10 days having a reaction to it on the last day of treatment. Returned 2 months later (red breast) but had not progressed to fever or fatigue yet. In hospital for 24hrs and sent home on a course of amoxicillen for 14days. Mammo and ultrasound negative. No apparent cause for infection.

Must Read Articles Related to Breast Infection

Breast Lumps and Pain
Breast Lumps and Pain Breast changes are common. From the time a girl begins to develop breasts and begins menstruating and throughout life, women may experience various kinds of bre...learn more >>
Breastfeeding
Breastfeeding Breastfeeding or bott...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Breast Infection:

Breast Infection - Cause

What was the cause of your breast infection?