Viewer Comments: Breast Infection - Cause

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Breast Infection:

Breast Infection - Cause

What was the cause of your breast infection?

Comment from: lantiferds, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

I am reading all these comments and am scare. I went to the doctor today because of a pain in my right breast and under my right arm. It itches. I am starting to form a little bit of a rash also. They are doing blood work and have me on strong antibiotics. Also my right breast is really swollen and my left one is starting to bother me but not as bad as my right one. The doctor says I probably have a severe breast infection and maybe shingles. They are doing intensive blood work. I know I am not pregnant. I had a partial hysterectomy about 4 years ago and have not had sex in about 4 years. He thinks it might be worse than the infections. This is why he is going for the intensive blood work and going from there. But with my age (38) and with me having an autoimmune problem and my symptoms of nausea, vomiting, being tired, loss of appetite, headaches along with my migraines, shakiness, light headiness, burning in the area on the side of the boob near under the arm and it hurts, itchiness, my nipples are extremely sensitive like when you are pregnant or when you have just given birth and are about to lactate, swollen boob only one of them is, and I can go on. It is so aggravating and I am so worried. I have never seen my doctor this baffled even. Not sure. I looked at the prescriptions and they are strong. It must be bad. I am worried not sure what to do and what it can be.

Comment from: kira, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I had a mammogram and biopsy quite a few years ago and was diagnosed as having chronic mastitis. I have been on the menopause for 7 years and clear of pain until 3-4 months ago. Doc examined me and says no obvious lumps that give him cause to think cancer but he has made a hospital referral. It's hurting my entire left breast and not from the nipple to my arm pit as before. I read examination can disguise cancerous lumps.

Comment from: jeje, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

The infection was due to piercing of the nipple.

Comment from: GES0709, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I am 55 years old and post-menopausal. I had breast augmentation 28 years ago. Recently, after two biopsies and several mammograms and ultrasounds on my right breast I developed capsular constriction. I had to have my implants replaced. The surgeon didn't know what had caused it but when he opened me up there was infection. It was E. coli! I had no other symptoms. No fever, no nausea, nothing.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: November 26

My nipple piercing is infected.

Comment from: vivian, 55-64 Female Published: December 13

I developed a breast infection from a ruptured silicone implant.

Comment from: Jacquelyn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I was recently told by my doctor that I have what is termed as mastitis. My right breast is red, and swollen with a lump about the size of a gumball. I could hardly lift my arm above my head and running a low grade fever. This came out of nowhere! Since I am 43 and have had partial hysterectomy, I am concerned. They put me on two very strong antibiotics and an anti- inflammatory and said not to have a mammogram or ultrasound until swelling go down as it would give false-positive. I have two children and never breastfed so I am somewhat baffled.

Comment from: Sara, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I don't know what caused it. I had breast cancer 6 years ago and had a mastectomy at that time on my left breast, so of course the infection is in my right breast. My doctor prescribed "AMO TR-K CLV 500-125 MG" 3 a day for 10 days. I started the medication 3 days ago and the symptoms have greatly improved. I will see my doctor in three days.

Comment from: Christine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

After 3 lumpectomies, I had contact allergies, a fungal infection and mastitis.

Must Read Articles Related to Breast Infection

Breast Lumps and Pain
Breast Lumps and Pain Breast changes are common. From the time a girl begins to develop breasts and begins menstruating and throughout life, women may experience various kinds of bre...learn more >>
Breastfeeding
Breastfeeding Breastfeeding or bottle feeding your newborn baby is a personal decision. If you choose to breastfeed, it will be helpful if you are in a supportive environment...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Breast Infection:

Breast Infection - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your breast infection and what was the treatment?

Find Your Best Self: Discover new ways to live an inspiring life through beauty, diet, and fitness ideas.