Viewer Comments: Breast Lumps In Women - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Breast Lumps and Pain:

Breast Lumps In Women - Diagnosis

Please describe the diagnosis of the breast lumps in your breast(s).

Comment from: Juls, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I had a very large mass in my right breast with 3 more behind that I can feel. I went to my doctor on and she believes it to be mastitis. I am on large doses of an antibiotic and I am worried. After self exam the spot is indented? My doctor said we will try this med for 10 days to see if it will kill off the infection.

Comment from: ddelwood51@aol.com, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I found a lump in my right breast about 2 months ago. Knowing I was due for a mammogram next month I waited. I reported the lump which was not picked up on the mammogram. This is the 5th breast lump I have caught BEFORE the mammogram ever has! I had an ultra sound and the radiologist said he did not like the looks of it, it wasn't a cyst and it was somewhat jagged and the size of a lima bean. He suspects cancer or something in a gray area? I have an appointment with a surgeon on Tuesday. EEK! Four of my lumps were cysts but one was a tumor yet benign. This time the lump is a bit painful which is new to me. I have extremely dense fibrous breasts that get worse each year. It is getting harder and harder for them to see anything but black. Good luck to all of you, wish me luck as well.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: May 19

Hi, I am 35 years old and I have a lump in my right breast very close to my nipple. Just months ago, I had this very same lump and it was removed, but they said it was not cancer. The doctor told me after the surgery that he didn't know what the lump was, but that he had gotten it all. He used something like a blow torch and in two months time, the lump is back. I have a scheduled mammogram and ultrasound tomorrow and I am very scared now.

Comment from: achesney, Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I just found a lump last week in my left breast. I had a follow up with my primary care doctor today. She is sending me for an Ultra Sound and diagnostic test tomorrow. I am 47 and my mother was diagnosed in 2009 with breast cancer that has now spread to her brain. She is 74 years old and is now living with me. I am under a lot of stress and very nervous/scared to what they might find tomorrow. I have been having early signs of menopause and have been reading this can occur during this time. I will hope for good news tomorrow. I never thought it could happen to me. Thanks for letting me share.

Comment from: em, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I am 30 years old and had a partial hysterectomy three years ago. I was put on hormone replacement therapy a year ago. A few weeks into the therapy, I noticed that I have a painful lump in my breast.

Comment from: Cherokee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I was diagnosed with a breast disease age 20. Since then, every year I have had lumps and mass removed from my breast for testing. My right breast is so tiny now from all the surgeries and my left breast had greenish discharge. Dark green discharge from nipple can be blood as in my case. Now I am 50 and new lumps have appeared in both breasts again. The left side breast lump is hard and painful it's turning my nipple towards middle of chest. In the right breast my doctor found another lump. A digital mammogram has been ordered for me next week. I hate mammograms of any kind. I would rather have an ultrasound because they are far less painful.

Comment from: Concerned, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

Had Hysterectomy few months ago due to large cyst and major menstrual problems, had mammogram prior to surgery which came back “normal.” About 2 weeks ago I discovered lump in breast which grew in size over weekend, then reduced again in size by the time I went in to see my doctor a few days later. Was referred by PA for ultrasound which found many "lesions" some partially collapsed and some about 3 cm in diameter. After my Doctor reviewed ultrasound she referred me to Surgeon or further consults. Possible biopsy, possible to wait and see routine, who knows! Prayers for me and every woman out there dealing with these concerns.

Comment from: mistaryus, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I am 14 years old, (Wow I know) so I've had lumps in my breasts too. I've had one on the left and one on the right which were removed. Both times were pronounced benign so I'm happy for that. I've always had some sort of health problem so this wasn't a huge shock but when I discovered the first lump I cried so much because I was so scared. Now after going through those experiences I'm more conscious about my health. Right now I'm more worried about these constant strange headaches. But that's another story. Wish me luck!

Must Read Articles Related to Breast Lumps and Pain

Breast Cancer
Breast Cancer Breast cancer is cancer arising in breast tissue. Cancer is simply a group of abnormal cells that have abnormal growth patterns. Although breast cancer is...learn more >>
Breast Infection
Breast Infection Mastitis is an infection of the tissue of the breast that occurs most frequently during the time of breastfeeding. This infection causes pain, swelling, redness...learn more >>
Breast Reconstruction
Breast Reconstruction Breast reconstruction is surgery to restore the breast of women after mastectomy (removal of the breast). Breast reconstruction may involve implants or using th...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Breast Lumps and Pain:

Breast Lumps In Women - Cause

What was the underlying cause of your breast lumps?

Breast Lumps - Experience

Please describe your experience with breast lumps.

Find Your Best Self: Discover new ways to live an inspiring life through beauty, diet, and fitness ideas.