Viewer Comments: Breast Lumps In Women - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Breast Lumps and Pain:

Breast Lumps In Women - Diagnosis

Please describe the diagnosis of the breast lumps in your breast(s).

Comment from: tired of lumps, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I've had large, painful lumps. Every aspiration seemed to increase the size of the lumps.

Comment from: sue, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

In last 6 months I have had several mammagrams and sonograms showing abnormal results. I now will be having a needle biopsy. I was told yesterday that I showed a mass that had not grown any in 6 months but was showing calcification that needed a biopsy for clarification of what it is.

Comment from: Bubbles, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I'm 60 years old and have recently been diagnosed with 1.5 cm mass on my right breast. I'm scheduled for a diagnostic mammogram and ultra sound on Monday. I have no pain and feel no mass. It was found when I had my mammogram. I'm not really scared it is the unknown that is the worst part. It has been a week since I was told I needed more testing. It is always in the back of your mine what if it is cancer. I guess I always thought that wouldn't happen to me. I work in the medical field but when it happens to you, it makes it real.

Comment from: mich1969, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I found a large hard pain full lump in my left breast. I also had pain under my arm and down the back of my arm. I went straight to my GP who put me on antibiotics and wanted me back in five. When I saw my GP again, she there and then phoned the surgeons at the hospital who wanted me in on the following morning at 09.30. This was all happening very quickly in the meantime the pain had gone from my breast my arm and under my arm but the lump is still there. After I saw the surgeons he sent me straight down to the breast clinic to see the consultant.

Comment from: Kelbel29, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I've had a lump in my left breast for quite a while I had it checked out at a breast clinic. It was dismissed by the doctor as I happened to be on my period at the time. It is now bigger and more painful and has made my left breast bigger than my right! Now the pain exists like this whether I'm on a period or not. I worry about going back to the doctor, but my sister tells me to not be afraid and not to stop until I get an answer and relief. So, I hear it's probably not cancer, and I know it can be a variety of other things like a breast infection... I think I'm going to see a different doctor just to be sure.

Comment from: Help, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I found a lump in my breast and went to the emergency room, and I told them that it was very painful and the lump got big over night. The stated to me that I have Fibrocystic Breast Disease, and there is nothing that they can do for me at this time. I must get a mammogram

Comment from: Juls, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I had a very large mass in my right breast with 3 more behind that I can feel. I went to my doctor on and she believes it to be mastitis. I am on large doses of an antibiotic and I am worried. After self exam the spot is indented? My doctor said we will try this med for 10 days to see if it will kill off the infection.

Comment from:, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I found a lump in my right breast about 2 months ago. Knowing I was due for a mammogram next month I waited. I reported the lump which was not picked up on the mammogram. This is the 5th breast lump I have caught BEFORE the mammogram ever has! I had an ultra sound and the radiologist said he did not like the looks of it, it wasn't a cyst and it was somewhat jagged and the size of a lima bean. He suspects cancer or something in a gray area? I have an appointment with a surgeon on Tuesday. EEK! Four of my lumps were cysts but one was a tumor yet benign. This time the lump is a bit painful which is new to me. I have extremely dense fibrous breasts that get worse each year. It is getting harder and harder for them to see anything but black. Good luck to all of you, wish me luck as well.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: May 19

Hi, I am 35 years old and I have a lump in my right breast very close to my nipple. Just months ago, I had this very same lump and it was removed, but they said it was not cancer. The doctor told me after the surgery that he didn't know what the lump was, but that he had gotten it all. He used something like a blow torch and in two months time, the lump is back. I have a scheduled mammogram and ultrasound tomorrow and I am very scared now.

Must Read Articles Related to Breast Lumps and Pain

Breast Cancer
Breast Cancer Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer in women. Symptoms and signs of breast cancer include breast lumps, nipple discharge or inversion, or change...learn more >>
Breast Infection
Breast Infection Mastitis is an infection of the tissue of the breast that occurs most frequently during the time of breastfeeding. This infection causes pain, swelling, redness...learn more >>
Breast Reconstruction
Breast Reconstruction Breast reconstruction is surgery to restore the breast of women after mastectomy (removal of the breast). Breast reconstruction may involve implants or using th...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Breast Lumps and Pain:

Breast Lumps In Women - Cause

What was the underlying cause of your breast lumps?

Breast Lumps - Experience

Please describe your experience with breast lumps.