Viewer Comments: Breast Lumps In Women - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Breast Lumps and Pain:

Breast Lumps In Women - Diagnosis

Please describe the diagnosis of the breast lumps in your breast(s).

Comment from: halesmom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I am a 53-year-old, recently menopausal woman, who was diagnosed with cellulitis of the right breast four weeks ago. I took antibiotics for 20 days and all signs of infection had disappeared six or seven days before I finished the medicine. I was left with a hard lump, which does not move and does not hurt. Both ultrasounds I have had do not suggest cancer, neither does the diagnostic mammogram. The mammo report says further testing is required; however, my doctor, a breast surgeon, has decided to wait another month because she says hard tissue can remain after an infection, and she thinks that is what this is. Basically, that means if the lump is still there in another month, I will finally get a biopsy and should it show something, I will have wasted nine weeks of treatment time because my lump isn't usual. To doctors who may read this: Don't torture your patients. If a lump is present without infection, or as in my case, if there is no reason for the infection, do a biopsy right away for the peace of mind it can bring. The Internet is full of stories of women who were assured from a mammogram and an ultrasound that they were fine.

Comment from: suzieqqqqx, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I was diagnosed with breast cancer nine months after I was told I only had cysts. That hospital did not do a biopsy, only a mammogram and ultrasound. Nine months later I was referred by a different doctor to a different hospital that did lots of tests, a mammogram, an ultrasound, and a needle biopsy. I was told they found a total of seven tumors via the biopsy, and I would need to have my breast removed. I wonder if those seven tumors grew in the nine months that I was absent from that first hospital or if they were there previously but misdiagnosed as cysts.

Comment from: tired of lumps, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I've had large, painful lumps. Every aspiration seemed to increase the size of the lumps.

Comment from: sue, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

In last 6 months I have had several mammagrams and sonograms showing abnormal results. I now will be having a needle biopsy. I was told yesterday that I showed a mass that had not grown any in 6 months but was showing calcification that needed a biopsy for clarification of what it is.

Comment from: Bubbles, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I'm 60 years old and have recently been diagnosed with 1.5 cm mass on my right breast. I'm scheduled for a diagnostic mammogram and ultra sound on Monday. I have no pain and feel no mass. It was found when I had my mammogram. I'm not really scared it is the unknown that is the worst part. It has been a week since I was told I needed more testing. It is always in the back of your mine what if it is cancer. I guess I always thought that wouldn't happen to me. I work in the medical field but when it happens to you, it makes it real.

Comment from: mich1969, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I found a large hard pain full lump in my left breast. I also had pain under my arm and down the back of my arm. I went straight to my GP who put me on antibiotics and wanted me back in five. When I saw my GP again, she there and then phoned the surgeons at the hospital who wanted me in on the following morning at 09.30. This was all happening very quickly in the meantime the pain had gone from my breast my arm and under my arm but the lump is still there. After I saw the surgeons he sent me straight down to the breast clinic to see the consultant.

Comment from: Kelbel29, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I've had a lump in my left breast for quite a while I had it checked out at a breast clinic. It was dismissed by the doctor as I happened to be on my period at the time. It is now bigger and more painful and has made my left breast bigger than my right! Now the pain exists like this whether I'm on a period or not. I worry about going back to the doctor, but my sister tells me to not be afraid and not to stop until I get an answer and relief. So, I hear it's probably not cancer, and I know it can be a variety of other things like a breast infection... I think I'm going to see a different doctor just to be sure.

Comment from: Help, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I found a lump in my breast and went to the emergency room, and I told them that it was very painful and the lump got big over night. The stated to me that I have Fibrocystic Breast Disease, and there is nothing that they can do for me at this time. I must get a mammogram

Must Read Articles Related to Breast Lumps and Pain

Breast Cancer
Breast Cancer Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer in women. Symptoms and signs of breast cancer include breast lumps, nipple discharge or inversion, or change...learn more >>
Breast Infection
Breast Infection Mastitis is an infection of the tissue of the breast that occurs most frequently during the time of breastfeeding. This infection causes pain, swelling, redness...learn more >>
Breast Reconstruction
Breast Reconstruction Breast reconstruction is surgery to restore the breast of women after mastectomy (removal of the breast). Breast reconstruction may involve implants or using th...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Breast Lumps and Pain:

Breast Lumps In Women - Cause

What was the underlying cause of your breast lumps?

Breast Lumps - Experience

Please describe your experience with breast lumps.