Viewer Comments: Breast Lumps In Women - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Breast Lumps and Pain:

Breast Lumps In Women - Diagnosis

Please describe the diagnosis of the breast lumps in your breast(s).

Comment from: Joe, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 20

I am reading this because I never thought that this would be something to worry about. So for living with the right side nipple hurting for 6 months I finally decided to get it looked at by my doctor during an annual. I had a mammogram the next morning with three lumps and the 2 doctors are trying to schedule a surgery as soon as possible. The wife is having a hard time wrapping her head around this and we're not even sure what to tell the kids (still in grade school). Something they don't prepare you for.

Comment from: flordagirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I've got a mass in my right breast; I first noticed it about 1 or 2 months ago and it didn't hurt, but now it's sore. Well, actually it first showed up a few years ago, was really small and went away, but now it is back and bigger. The mammogram and ultrasound didn't show much as the tissue inside my breasts was too dense, but my obstetrician/gynecologist had me go see a specialist anyway. She had me get a mammogram and ultrasound again this time, and now wants me to go see a breast specialist again. Better safe than sorry I suppose.

Comment from: GrannieW, 45-54 (Patient) Published: August 29

I recently had an appointment with my GYN and she said my uterus was enlarged and she wanted me to have an ultrasound on that and a mammogram (since I had not had one up to this point). Well the ultrasound shows a tumor on my uterus and the mammogram just came back with masses in both breasts. I am absolutely terrified right now, but I can't say anything to my husband or my kids (adults) because I don't want them to worry needlessly. I go back to the imaging center next week for sonogram on the breasts, and then back to the GYN the following week to decide if the uterus tumor can be biopsied in her office or if it needs to be in hospital. I'm having a hard time pretending everything is normal when I'm so scared.

Comment from: halesmom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I am a 53-year-old, recently menopausal woman, who was diagnosed with cellulitis of the right breast four weeks ago. I took antibiotics for 20 days and all signs of infection had disappeared six or seven days before I finished the medicine. I was left with a hard lump, which does not move and does not hurt. Both ultrasounds I have had do not suggest cancer, neither does the diagnostic mammogram. The mammo report says further testing is required; however, my doctor, a breast surgeon, has decided to wait another month because she says hard tissue can remain after an infection, and she thinks that is what this is. Basically, that means if the lump is still there in another month, I will finally get a biopsy and should it show something, I will have wasted nine weeks of treatment time because my lump isn't usual. To doctors who may read this: Don't torture your patients. If a lump is present without infection, or as in my case, if there is no reason for the infection, do a biopsy right away for the peace of mind it can bring. The Internet is full of stories of women who were assured from a mammogram and an ultrasound that they were fine.

Comment from: suzieqqqqx, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I was diagnosed with breast cancer nine months after I was told I only had cysts. That hospital did not do a biopsy, only a mammogram and ultrasound. Nine months later I was referred by a different doctor to a different hospital that did lots of tests, a mammogram, an ultrasound, and a needle biopsy. I was told they found a total of seven tumors via the biopsy, and I would need to have my breast removed. I wonder if those seven tumors grew in the nine months that I was absent from that first hospital or if they were there previously but misdiagnosed as cysts.

Comment from: Christina, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I am 34 years old and I have had problems with pain in my chest, but a couple of years ago I felt a lump on the left side of my breast and towards the middle of my breast. I don't know what to think and wonder if it's a cyst, I don't really know a lot about a cyst either.

Comment from: mandy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I discovered two lumps in my breast. I'm currently waiting for a scan for the last 6 weeks. I have now developed a very sore nipple and I can now feel some more lumps. The tissue behind my nipple is also hard.?

Comment from: vegas, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

I have a lump and pain in my left breast, my gyno last year told me not to worry. This year, my gyno sent me to a breast care center. I will have my second more invasive procedure soon.

Must Read Articles Related to Breast Lumps and Pain

Breast Cancer
Breast Cancer Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer in women. Symptoms and signs of breast cancer include breast lumps, nipple discharge or inversion, or change...learn more >>
Breast Infection
Breast Infection Mastitis is an infection of the tissue of the breast that occurs most frequently during the time of breastfeeding. This infection causes pain, swelling, redness...learn more >>
Breast Reconstruction
Breast Reconstruction Breast reconstruction is surgery to restore the breast of women after mastectomy (removal of the breast). Breast reconstruction may involve implants or using th...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Breast Lumps and Pain:

Breast Lumps In Women - Cause

What was the underlying cause of your breast lumps?

Breast Lumps - Experience

Please describe your experience with breast lumps.