Broken Arm (cont.)
Broken Arm Prognosis
The majority of fractures heal and normal arm movement is restored.
Many of these factors based on the individual injury and medical history may determine the final outcome of a broken bone:
- Earlier treatment usually improves results.
- Fractures in younger children and adolescents tend to heal better.
- Fractures that have multiple breaks, involve a joint, have open wounds, or become infected could have healing complications.
- Older adults have increased chance of losing some ability or movement in the broken arm.
- Chronic diseases such as osteoporosis and diabetes may slow the healing process.
Andrew P Baniukiewicz, MD
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Arm: