Viewer Comments: Broken Arm - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Arm:

Broken Arm - Causes

How did you break your arm?

Comment from: C/E, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

Hello everybody! I'm from Bulgaria and I'm 47 years old. I broke my left arm in three places! I'm a marine surveyor and during an inspection on board of ship I fell down into the ballast tank. The crew had removed the protective metal cover and had forgotten to mount it in reverse order.

Comment from: TIMTAM, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I broke my arm when I little boy tripped my by accident while we were playing basketball.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I broke my arm when I fell off a large horse.

Comment from: dawn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I fell down the stairs.

Comment from: puma, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: March 07

I broke my arm when I tripped on electric blanket cord in February and fell against closet door.

Comment from: sadiecat, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 04

I have a friend that is 70 yrs old and fell and broke her upper arm bone 11-09. Her doctors have told her that they cannot do surgery to set it and it will remain broken from now on. She has a splint on it, but her quality of life has gone down to nothing.

Comment from: pauline jones, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I was going to put some leaves in the wheelie bin. The wind very heavy, and as I went to put top down, wind caught me. I fell against the bin and hurt my arm against a very sharp edge. It's broken.

Comment from: nadvo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

Hi I broke my arm six years ago in a car accident. It was nine months no union and because of a heart and clotting issue no surgery was performed. I am now experiencing severe pain and swelling. I'm taking ibuprofen and Vicodin every day.

Comment from: mary58, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I broke the neck of the humorous in 3 places when I ran too fast across a busy road and ended up falling at speed into the side of the road. I knew immediately I had broken my arm as I couldn't get up without help. 3 days on I'm in a lot of pain with a foam sling and painkillers. Think it's going to take a long time before I'm healed. Just very frustrated with it all.

Comment from: wellswormer, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 27

I have been in a wheel chair for the last 10 years after having a stroke during a shoulder replacement. I recently fell over backwards after backing downhill while doing some work in the garden. My upper arm cracked just below the shoulder joint the arm is currently supported either a cloth sling ,which I don't care for it has too many internal seams that after several hours of wearing it make sores from pressing on the elbow bone.

Comment from: Diddie, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 20

My son has a steel plate and also nerve damage that has been repaired from prior accidents. Three days ago in fell in the grease pit at work the arm is very messed up now again, he will not go to the hospital is waiting to get in with the doctor that did all the work years ago. He has no insurance but workman's comp has been set up but he is sitting at home waiting for the main doctor to get in touch with the specialist. I am afraid by waiting he will cause more damage to the arm or workman's comp will refuse to pay.