Viewer Comments: Broken Arm - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Arm:

Broken Arm - Causes

How did you break your arm?

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I broke my humerus from a fall, my first broken bone.

Comment from: bevbradley, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 20

My son fractured his arm by falling off my bed. He was in cast for 3 weeks, and 5 days later he fell and re-broke the same place. I am now being investigated by social services, the first hospital said it couldn't happen by a short fall and the second says it could! Is it so surprising, as he is 10 months old and is at the beginning of an ambulatory stage!

Comment from: maggie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

The daffodil support in my border tripped me up as I was concentrating on 2 things as I approached the grass; I wanted the toilet and I wanted to dispose of the plant food bottle as I had emptied it on a rose. I was not looking at my feet. I broke the radius and ulna by falling heavily on my arm. I pulled myself up on a tuft of grass and entered the house on foot and dialed 999. I may have a wire or plate put in this week.

Comment from: Mary, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I was walking my dog when she lunged at a Canadian goose alongside the canal where we were walking. She caught me off guard and I was holding so tight to the handle of the leash and the force and direction of her lunge in the opposite direction caused the bone to snap before I hit the ground. I heard it snap and knew I was in trouble. My right humerus was broken and I had a plate and 7 screws inserted in surgery. I am typing with my left hand.

Comment from: auburn blonde, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I broke my humerus as I had a dizzy spell in the kitchen.

Comment from: downtown, 55-64 Male Published: February 19

I broke both my arms in an unfortunate accident in 1979. I was 24 and going home after working my shift. My right arm was broken into 100 pieces or so, while my left arm was only broken once, at the radius bone. After casting and release from the hospital, I started to find a new way to live with a sudden handicap. I had trouble with personal hygiene, daily activities in general, as well as extreme pain and depression.

Comment from: susanne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I fell off a horse on vacation broke my humerus in two.

Comment from: Sky, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I fell on an outstretched palm while cycling.

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: March 12

I broke my arm playing football at school.

Comment from: nanawebb, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

I fell on a patch of black ice in my parking lot. It was slippery everywhere and I kept falling back down. I am nearly 70 years old and I am overweight, so it was extremely difficult for me to stand, but I crawled to a post and I was able to pull myself up. In the end, I had broken my arm clear in half.

Comment from: Foolish, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 26

I found out I had a broken arm by finally going to an urgent care facility after three falls within 10 days and all basically in the same position. I don't really know which fall caused the fracture. I have never had a broken bone so I was surprised. The doctor took X-rays and said my ulna was fractured and referred me to an orthopedic facility. I still have not had it treated because it was Friday afternoon and everything was closed for the weekend. I have been concerned because of the length of time since the break. One of the times I fell was while walking down the hall of a hospital and witnesses asked if I wanted to go to the emergency room to get checked out. I said no. I guess I'll live.