Viewer Comments: Broken Arm - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Arm:

Broken Arm - Causes

How did you break your arm?

Comment from: Sarah P., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

My arm was broken by someone throwing a large rock. On the x-ray the bone is totally broken in the first, and now the bones ends don't even touch. I wonder if it should have been reset.

Comment from: Determined, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

Body slammed from behind by an overly exuberant dog on 11/26/15. I had nondisplaced fracture in the surgical neck of humerus. I used OTC Motrin first three days, then switched to Tylenol. I am off all medicines as of 12/4. I am making certain I consume at least 80 grams protein each day and taking appropriate supplements to aid the healing process. I can't wait to start physiotherapy so I can get back to 100 percent doing what I love; paddling my sea kayak.

Comment from: gailrooney, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I broke my humerus just below my shoulder playing racket ball with my husband. I hit the wall trying to volley back to him. We are in our middle 70s, so I guess my bones are very brittle, although I don't have osteoporosis.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I broke my humerus from a fall, my first broken bone.

Comment from: bevbradley, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 20

My son fractured his arm by falling off my bed. He was in cast for 3 weeks, and 5 days later he fell and re-broke the same place. I am now being investigated by social services, the first hospital said it couldn't happen by a short fall and the second says it could! Is it so surprising, as he is 10 months old and is at the beginning of an ambulatory stage!

Comment from: maggie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

The daffodil support in my border tripped me up as I was concentrating on 2 things as I approached the grass; I wanted the toilet and I wanted to dispose of the plant food bottle as I had emptied it on a rose. I was not looking at my feet. I broke the radius and ulna by falling heavily on my arm. I pulled myself up on a tuft of grass and entered the house on foot and dialed 999. I may have a wire or plate put in this week.

Comment from: Mary, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I was walking my dog when she lunged at a Canadian goose alongside the canal where we were walking. She caught me off guard and I was holding so tight to the handle of the leash and the force and direction of her lunge in the opposite direction caused the bone to snap before I hit the ground. I heard it snap and knew I was in trouble. My right humerus was broken and I had a plate and 7 screws inserted in surgery. I am typing with my left hand.

Comment from: auburn blonde, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I broke my humerus as I had a dizzy spell in the kitchen.

Comment from: downtown, 55-64 Male Published: February 19

I broke both my arms in an unfortunate accident in 1979. I was 24 and going home after working my shift. My right arm was broken into 100 pieces or so, while my left arm was only broken once, at the radius bone. After casting and release from the hospital, I started to find a new way to live with a sudden handicap. I had trouble with personal hygiene, daily activities in general, as well as extreme pain and depression.

Comment from: susanne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I fell off a horse on vacation broke my humerus in two.

Comment from: Sky, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I fell on an outstretched palm while cycling.

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: March 12

I broke my arm playing football at school.