Viewer Comments: Broken Arm - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Arm:

Broken Arm - Causes

How did you break your arm?

Comment from: downtown, 55-64 Male Published: February 19

I broke both my arms in an unfortunate accident in 1979. I was 24 and going home after working my shift. My right arm was broken into 100 pieces or so, while my left arm was only broken once, at the radius bone. After casting and release from the hospital, I started to find a new way to live with a sudden handicap. I had trouble with personal hygiene, daily activities in general, as well as extreme pain and depression.

Comment from: susanne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I fell off a horse on vacation broke my humerus in two.

Comment from: Sky, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I fell on an outstretched palm while cycling.

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: March 12

I broke my arm playing football at school.

Comment from: nanawebb, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

I fell on a patch of black ice in my parking lot. It was slippery everywhere and I kept falling back down. I am nearly 70 years old and I am overweight, so it was extremely difficult for me to stand, but I crawled to a post and I was able to pull myself up. In the end, I had broken my arm clear in half.

Comment from: Foolish, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 26

I found out I had a broken arm by finally going to an urgent care facility after three falls within 10 days and all basically in the same position. I don't really know which fall caused the fracture. I have never had a broken bone so I was surprised. The doctor took X-rays and said my ulna was fractured and referred me to an orthopedic facility. I still have not had it treated because it was Friday afternoon and everything was closed for the weekend. I have been concerned because of the length of time since the break. One of the times I fell was while walking down the hall of a hospital and witnesses asked if I wanted to go to the emergency room to get checked out. I said no. I guess I'll live.

Comment from: Write2Inspire, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

While helping my daughter move we were leaning over her claw foot tub while hanging a shower curtain, lost center of gravity and fell into the tub. At least it's a funny story!

Comment from: grace, 55-64 Female Published: September 17

I fell off my bicycle. I am 61. I was trying to get some exercise. I shattered my humerus. And now, here I am, typing with one hand.

Comment from: Beverly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I was walking my dog & a pit bull ran at my dog. I tried to trip the pit bull, but it tripped me instead. I fell backwards and broke my lower arm/fractured it. Went to surgery the same day and they put in a plate and screws. It is much better. The pit bull did not bite me or my dog. I feel fortunate it's not worse.

Comment from: daniel.williams30, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I broke my arm in a motorcycle crash. I fractured my left humerus in half. It is 3 weeks out still have terrible pain.

Comment from: kauffman540, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 30

I broke my right arm while in an arm wrestling match with a buddy. It was very painful and required surgery. The pain has gotten much better after three weeks but it's still sore.

Comment from: Hockey lover, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 30

I broke my radius and ulna. Actually I shattered them playing hockey. I have two plates and 15 screws.