Broken Elbow (cont.)
Broken Elbow Causes
People can injure an elbow in a variety of ways, from overuse (athletic
injuries) to an acute traumatic event (a fall or direct blow). Some common
events that result in elbow fractures:
- Falling backward, for example, off a skateboard, the person may attempt to
brace the fall with an arm outstretched and open hand.
- High-energy trauma can occur in an automobile or motorcycle
- A direct blow on the elbow can cause a break, such as when a person
falls off a bicycle and lands directly on an elbow.
- Sideswipe injury occurs when an elbow is struck while a person are
resting an elbow out an open car window.
- Any other direct injury to the elbow, wrist, hand, or shoulder can
fracture the elbow.
Must Read Articles Related to Broken Elbow
CT was discovered independently by a British engineer named Sir Godfrey Hounsfield and Dr. Alan Cormack. It has become a mainstay for diagnosing med...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>
Muscle strain or muscle pull or even a muscle tear implies damage to a muscle or its attaching tendons. Symptoms and signs include swelling, bruising, pain, and...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Elbow: