Viewer Comments: Broken Elbow - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Elbow:

Broken Elbow - Causes

What was the cause of your broken elbow?

Comment from: Dark Ashes, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I was playing on a bouncy castle with my friend and we both jumped down the slide at the end and left my elbow in a funny position with her on it. I had an x-ray and they said that it was fractured and then yet another x-ray for my wrist because it was swollen but they said that this was common. Another time I slipped down my garden steps at 6:15 in the winter and had to drive an hour to an open hospital. Yet another time I was trying a trick on my scooter and made it, nearly broke my scooter and fractured my right elbow, which then meant I couldn't write!

Comment from: eve, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I put off seeking medical care because of my college class schedule. Bad move on my part. I was taking a "Body Pump" class at the gym. (This is a weight-lifting class choreographed to music.) Anyway, when at the rack to put the weights and bar away, someone handled their bar incorrectly and in doing so swung it right into my elbow. It really hurt badly, but elbows get banged all the time so I didn't think much more about it. A week later, it still hurt and now the pain was also in my forearm, plus, my range of motion was somewhat decreased. By the second week, I could not fully extend my arm, could not sleep on that side and had no strength to even pick up a gallon jug of water. It took me 3 weeks to see a doctor! Don't wait like I did. I may have permanently damaged myself by waiting. Time will tell.

Comment from: ifell over inthesnow, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I slipped in the bad snow at 4 days before Christmas 2010 and broke my elbow. It has been 8 weeks now and although the bone has healed, I suffer with stiffness of the elbow and weakness in my arm in general. I am 47 years old and really hoping that I don't have any long term damage. I guess taking things steady for a while and gentle exercise on my arm is the only way.

Must Read Articles Related to Broken Elbow

CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan History CT was discovered independently by a British engineer named Sir Godfrey Hounsfield and Dr. Alan Cormack. It has become a mainstay for diagnosing med...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>
Muscle Strain
Muscle Strain Muscle strain or muscle pull or even a muscle tear implies damage to a muscle or its attaching tendons. Symptoms and signs include swelling, bruising, pain, and...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Elbow:

Broken Elbow - Followup

Did you have any complications recovering from your broken elbow? Please describe them.

Broken Elbow - Treatment

What was the treatment for your broken elbow?