Viewer Comments: Broken Elbow - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Elbow:

Broken Elbow - Causes

What was the cause of your broken elbow?

Comment from: Becki, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I fell down a short flight of stairs and took a dive onto a tile floor breaking olecranon in three pieces. I have a plate and several screws. It has been 10 weeks since surgery and I am still experiencing stiffness and limited range of motion. I hope this improves. This is very painful.

Comment from: CHARLES A COOK, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 10

I fell backwards on my left elbow, my elbow was cut open. I knew it was bad because the pain was excruciating. I waited a few days,then my elbow began to swell. It got infected, my arm looked like Popeye's. So I went to the doctor and they took X-rays. They told me my elbow wasn't broken and gave me some antibiotics and sent me home. After two and half years and three more doctors. My elbow has gotten infected again and looks like it has a golf ball under the skin. I don't know why these doctors are telling me I'm okay. Anybody can see there's something wrong.

Comment from: Angie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I was involved in a car accident where I was hit head on. Although neither of us were driving fast, it was enough damage to total my car and cause the airbags to deploy. My adrenaline must have been going because i thought the pain was just a sprained wrist. I was still able to move my arm, just very slowly. I was basically dragged to the ER by a friend and the X-rays showed that I had an elbow radial head fracture. Didn't feel horrible pain until hours later that day.

Comment from: MaddyB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I fell off my pushbike when my wheel went off the pavement as I moved aside for a jogger. I put both arms out to protect myself. Just my left arm ended up being more painful and there was bruising on my left elbow. I put ice on everything soon after and then went to casualty. The X-rays showed a non-displaced fracture of the radial head. The main pain was in my forearm and I couldn't turn my hand over for days. The doctor said it was best not to immobilize it as that could cause contractions of the muscles. Just concerned I might go the other way and overuse it and slow the healing process? It's only been 10 days. I want to go back to work but don't want to be unwise. Sometimes at night the forearm muscles really ache.

Comment from: Joyce, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I was chasing my dachshund and tripped on a crack in the sidewalk!

Comment from: carollynne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I tripped on industrial equipment and fell straight to the ground with my left arm outstretched.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 10

Fell backwards at the local ice rink after catching a skate edge in a rut. I've fallen just like that a number of times playing hockey but have always been wearing elbow pads. This time it was open skate and I was not wearing pads. Open reduction and internal fixation with a plate and 12 weeks of PT with a hand specialist.

Comment from: Noreen, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 13

I fell and broke my elbow 3 weeks ago.

Comment from: emedicinehealth, 65-74 Male Published: October 12

I fell backwards and shattered my elbow, which had to be rebuild with plates and screws.

Comment from: (Patient) Published: August 30

I am 70-yr old woman whose dog decided to take for a trip after a rabbit or something resulting in me falling off the steps of the deck. I literally hit the cement with my forehead, but did not sustain a concussion or unconsciousness. My elbow was broken leaving a floating piece of bone. It was extremely painful and my doctors are monitoring the bone to determine if it will have to be removed.

Comment from: Dark Ashes, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I was playing on a bouncy castle with my friend and we both jumped down the slide at the end and left my elbow in a funny position with her on it. I had an x-ray and they said that it was fractured and then yet another x-ray for my wrist because it was swollen but they said that this was common. Another time I slipped down my garden steps at 6:15 in the winter and had to drive an hour to an open hospital. Yet another time I was trying a trick on my scooter and made it, nearly broke my scooter and fractured my right elbow, which then meant I couldn't write!

Must Read Articles Related to Broken Elbow

CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan History CT was discovered independently by a British engineer named Sir Godfrey Hounsfield and Dr. Alan Cormack. It has become a mainstay for diagnosing med...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>
Muscle Strain
Muscle Strain Muscle strain or muscle pull or even a muscle tear implies damage to a muscle or its attaching tendons. Symptoms and signs include swelling, bruising, pain, and...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Elbow:

Broken Elbow - Treatment

What was the treatment for your broken elbow?