Viewer Comments: Broken Finger - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Finger:

Broken Finger - Treatment

How did you break your finger and what was the treatment?

Comment from: baby bear, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 08

My middle finger is broken. I was told that I would need rods and pins! I was in a bus accident where a sudden stop made all of us fall back and unfortunately my hands landed in the wrong place.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 15

I broke my little finger while playing rugby and I put ice on the injury as soon as I could. My knuckle is still swollen after two weeks, though.

Comment from: FineNow, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

I had broken my right hand index finger in a bike accident some 1 and half month back. It had broken from the middle joint. After the X-ray, doctors told me that extensor tendon was broken and surgery would have to be performed. A doctor performed surgery and put stitches to hold it and then put a splint on it. He advised me to keep finger straight at all time so that stitches won't break.

Comment from: murelle, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

A car door was closed on my middle finger, causing it to break. No treatment.

Comment from: stillhurts, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I broke my finger, hand bone and a wrist bone by falling off the side of a boat, parked in the driveway. My wedding rings caught on the cleat as I was coming down, wrenching my arm up and backwards behind me with my full weight suspended for a second and then I hit the ground. A ten-foot or so drop. Off I go to the ER. I had minimal bleeding with an ice pack on my hand. At the ER, they removed my rings by cutting them off. They were twisted sideways and turned outward and were embedded in my finger. I had horrid pain -- hot, stinging blow-torch type of pain. I got four stitches in my ring finger where the rings used to lay. They sent me home. Ten days later, the stitches come out, but I still massive swelling and it's getting worse. I was sent home again. I went back to the ER for the third time the following week. I had new X-rays, three broken bones, and I find out tomorrow about having surgery for severed tendon, and nerve and tissue damage. Still hurts, still much swelling on the knuckles by the where the rings sat. I can't bend the finger at all and it's been a month.

Comment from: firebird211, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

My left ring finger had been smashed by moving a heavy work out bench and the movable part of the seat allowed the whole contraption to slam down on my finger. Bruising and swelling took effect very quickly, and my fingernail also has a bruise showing through. The injury took place on the very tip of the ring finger just beyond the joint. Nothing is dislocated as the finger can still bend, just not as much due to swelling. I can recognize the pain as a fracture, but a splint is somewhat useless at this point. I can avoid impact on the finger better if it is not sticking out. I have been treating with ice, and hot water with epsom salt. Just like what had been mentioned in the article my finger is slightly numb. The injury really hit the nerve hard as my hand and other adjacent fingers had sharp pain, even up my arm. It's been two days now, general pain is minimal, the bruising is still evident, and the swelling is down compared to the first day. The fracture is still evident by the sharp pain that results from too much pressure applied to the finger that is nothing like the pain of a bruise.

Must Read Articles Related to Broken Finger

Finger Infection
Finger Infection Finger infections can be caused by a variety of bacteria and viruses. Types of finger infections include paronychia, felon, herpetic whitlow, cellulitis, infect...learn more >>
Finger Injuries
Finger Injuries Finger injuries can vary from small cuts, lacerations, puncture wounds, broken bones, dislocations, sprains, strains, nerve injuries, jammed fingers, and animal...learn more >>
Hand Injuries
Hand Injuries Hand injuries can be divided into six categories. 1) cuts and lacerations, 2) fractures and dislocations, 3) soft tissue injuries and amputations, 4) infections...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Finger:

Broken Finger - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your broken finger?