Viewer Comments: Broken Finger - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Finger:

Broken Finger - Treatment

How did you break your finger and what was the treatment?

Comment from: Male (Patient) Published: April 30

I broke my finger while wrestling my coach at practice in the beginning of the season, but my team really needed me and I didn't want to be a wuss so I didn't get it checked out. It turns out that that's a very bad thing, because as I kept wrestling I kept re-breaking it. I finally got it x-rayed and it was in fact broken. The doctor said it was 80% healed already though, so it wouldn't be a problem now that wrestling was over.

Comment from: Angel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had my right hand under the collar of my 190-lb great dane. We were at the park and she wanted to take off towards another dog. I had to hold her back. She jumped up and down forcefully. As she darted forward, my hand got caught under her collar she pulled me along, as I couldn't get my hand free. I fell face forward and had the wind knocked out of me as I hit my chest on the ground. My hand and fingers were throbbing with pain. They started swelling immediately. I waited to go to the doctor till the next morning. Put ice packs on my hand initially. My ring finger on the right hand was not just broken, but shattered badly. Plus I had a jammed knuckle on it too.

Comment from: BusyMum, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 29

I slammed my right index finger in the car door, hitting right below the first knuckle. The first X-ray revealed no fracture and it was just buddy strapped, but after a week with no improvement and a bony lump developing, I was told a second X-ray was needed. It turns out crush fractures (cracks and chips in the bone) often can't be seen in X-ray until later on. This is the most frustrating injury I've ever had - never realized how many things fingers are used for!

Comment from: McAwesome, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

Yesterday I was playing basketball in gym. We were playing 'dribble tag'. Anyway someone went to tag me and I went to tag them at the same time and I tripped and jammed my left middle finger on the basketball. I was in pain and went to the nurse the next period. I came home and my finger was swelled and bruised. My dad kept saying I jammed it. I went to the doctor today and got x-rays and they said I had a very tiny fracture. I have been soaking it in ice water and taking Motrin but the swelling still won't go down!

Comment from: baby bear, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 08

My middle finger is broken. I was told that I would need rods and pins! I was in a bus accident where a sudden stop made all of us fall back and unfortunately my hands landed in the wrong place.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 15

I broke my little finger while playing rugby and I put ice on the injury as soon as I could. My knuckle is still swollen after two weeks, though.

Comment from: FineNow, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

I had broken my right hand index finger in a bike accident some 1 and half month back. It had broken from the middle joint. After the X-ray, doctors told me that extensor tendon was broken and surgery would have to be performed. A doctor performed surgery and put stitches to hold it and then put a splint on it. He advised me to keep finger straight at all time so that stitches won't break.

Comment from: murelle, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

A car door was closed on my middle finger, causing it to break. No treatment.

Comment from: stillhurts, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I broke my finger, hand bone and a wrist bone by falling off the side of a boat, parked in the driveway. My wedding rings caught on the cleat as I was coming down, wrenching my arm up and backwards behind me with my full weight suspended for a second and then I hit the ground. A ten-foot or so drop. Off I go to the ER. I had minimal bleeding with an ice pack on my hand. At the ER, they removed my rings by cutting them off. They were twisted sideways and turned outward and were embedded in my finger. I had horrid pain -- hot, stinging blow-torch type of pain. I got four stitches in my ring finger where the rings used to lay. They sent me home. Ten days later, the stitches come out, but I still massive swelling and it's getting worse. I was sent home again. I went back to the ER for the third time the following week. I had new X-rays, three broken bones, and I find out tomorrow about having surgery for severed tendon, and nerve and tissue damage. Still hurts, still much swelling on the knuckles by the where the rings sat. I can't bend the finger at all and it's been a month.

Must Read Articles Related to Broken Finger

Finger Infection
Finger Infection Finger infections can be caused by a variety of bacteria and viruses. Types of finger infections include paronychia, felon, herpetic whitlow, cellulitis, infect...learn more >>
Finger Injuries
Finger Injuries Finger injuries can vary from small cuts, lacerations, puncture wounds, broken bones, dislocations, sprains, strains, nerve injuries, jammed fingers, and animal...learn more >>
Hand Injuries
Hand Injuries Hand injuries can be divided into six categories. 1) cuts and lacerations, 2) fractures and dislocations, 3) soft tissue injuries and amputations, 4) infections...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Finger:

Broken Finger - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your broken finger?